Scene Latency

MarcusRezak

FW11, besides noticing the tap tempo issue chopping sound when being tapped...Im also noticing more lag between scenes. My cpu is at 90% but it has higher in FW10 and I had less latency... My preset is using an X amp and a Y amp which does change scene to scene. I notice there is no latency when switching to the same amp in a different scene as opposed to another amp (even though its the same model amp in both x and y)... Any ideas, thanks for the help!

From what I understand changing XY state scene to scene can cause audio gaps, which is why I try to avoid doing that. I noticed gaps in FW 10 changing XY.

I think you're asking about audio drop-outs, not latency (delay between what you play and what you hear).

Try removing some blocks to get down to, say 80%, and see if the problem remains.

From what I understand changing XY state scene to scene can cause audio gaps, which is why I try to avoid doing that. I noticed gaps in FW 10 changing XY.

Yes, I meant audio gaps. Its the same amplifier, Badger 30, but Im using it one cleaner than the other.. Unfortunately, its quite a long gap since updating.

Audio Drop-out is exactly what I meant, not latency. I dont want to remove anymore blocks because I need the fx for my set up.. I'll try getting it down to 80% but i just dont know what else I can sacrifice at this point. Is there anything else that can be done to help?

I think you're asking about audio drop-outs, not latency (delay between what you play and what you hear).

Try removing some blocks to get down to, say 80%, and see if the problem remains.

Audio Drop-out is exactly what I meant, not latency. I dont want to remove anymore blocks because I need the fx for my set up.. I'll try getting it down to 80% but i just dont know what else I can sacrifice at this point. Is there anything else that can be done to help?

No problem. I still suggest testing removing a few blocks temporarily, just to confirm whether it's caused the high CPU load or some other problem.

Use a 2 amp setup. Make the bypass state "MUTE". Then activate amp 1 with amp 2 bypassed, and vice versa for different scenes. When musically possible, never bounce from amp1 x to y, but rather jump from amp1 to amp 2 (doesn't matter which x/y state you are in). For instance, you are using 2 amp blocks for a song that has 4 scenes: verse (amp1X), chorus (amp2X), bridge(amp1y), solo(amp2y). It can get tricky since the song might go from a chorus to a solo, in which case you are still switching between amp2x to amp2y, and might experience a dropout, but if you plan well enough and you use drive pedals to change the sound of the amp block, you could avoid those situations altogether.

Why not use one amp and set the boost or input trim to dirty up the tone.

I like this idea but wont it kick up the CPU quite a bit?

Use a 2 amp setup. Make the bypass state "MUTE". Then activate amp 1 with amp 2 bypassed, and vice versa for different scenes. When musically possible, never bounce from amp1 x to y, but rather jump from amp1 to amp 2 (doesn't matter which x/y state you are in). For instance, you are using 2 amp blocks for a song that has 4 scenes: verse (amp1X), chorus (amp2X), bridge(amp1y), solo(amp2y). It can get tricky since the song might go from a chorus to a solo, in which case you are still switching between amp2x to amp2y, and might experience a dropout, but if you plan well enough and you use drive pedals to change the sound of the amp block, you could avoid those situations altogether.

So I tested my rig tonight trying some suggestions you guys made. #1 Using Amp1 and Amp2 helps a lot compared to switching X Y Amp states per scene. In addition, reducing my cpu below 80% helps the most. Now the problem is I use a lot of effects and now I had to get rid of 3-4 fx blocks. How can I still access all my needed fx while keeping the cpu down. I noticed switching presets there is no audio gaps at all. I feel most comfortable having all my fx in each preset or per preset like if I had a full pedal board in front of me. . I enjoy scenes but could probably do without them if I went to presets. I do not want to be tap dancing though. Right now I use 5 scenes #1 - clean w/ reverb or sometimes delay #2 clean w/ reverb chorus and delay #3 rhythm crunch #4 lead w/ drive, delay, and or reverb #5 lead w/ auto wah ... I had to erase my phaser , flanger, Gate/Expander, and auto wah to get the cpu under 80% :/ ... I really appreciate everyones suggestions to achieve having all the needed fx at easy access and smooth switching by low cpu.

I got an excellent idea that Yek introduced me too for conserving CPU if your using a stereo cab block. You mix the 2 cabs with the Own Hammer Axe-O-Matic DSP application to make 1 simple IR. Then you stick it in a low res cab block. Or. if your just using a high res cab block, just switch it to a low res and that drops the cpu quite a bit as well and believe me, you will not hear any loss off tone either. Just a tip.....

So I tested my rig tonight trying some suggestions you guys made. #1 Using Amp1 and Amp2 helps a lot compared to switching X Y Amp states per scene. In addition, reducing my cpu below 80% helps the most. Now the problem is I use a lot of effects and now I had to get rid of 3-4 fx blocks. How can I still access all my needed fx while keeping the cpu down. I noticed switching presets there is no audio gaps at all. I feel most comfortable having all my fx in each preset or per preset like if I had a full pedal board in front of me. . I enjoy scenes but could probably do without them if I went to presets. I do not want to be tap dancing though. Right now I use 5 scenes #1 - clean w/ reverb or sometimes delay #2 clean w/ reverb chorus and delay #3 rhythm crunch #4 lead w/ drive, delay, and or reverb #5 lead w/ auto wah ... I had to erase my phaser , flanger, Gate/Expander, and auto wah to get the cpu under 80% :/ ... I really appreciate everyones suggestions to achieve having all the needed fx at easy access and smooth switching by low cpu.

One thing too I've noticed sometimes is to make sure when you save scenes that your muted amp block isn't changing its X/Y state.

I like this idea but wont it kick up the CPU quite a bit?

Try it. I think the AMP automatically changes to Low Res to compensate for having 2 amps in the same preset. Keep in mind the Axe 2 has 2 processors - one handles effects and cabs. The other handles Amps exclusively. So, you might have a few percent change for administrative housekeeping, but overall, use pretty much the same cpu when you go to 2 amps (fed into one cabinet). You will not hear an audio gap if you jump from AMP1 to AMP2, the way you have heard going from x to y in the same amp block. Just make sure you set the bypass state of the two amp blocks to MUTE, otherwise you will get a mixture of both amps, which is waaay cool, but not going to solve the issue of this thread! Good luck!

FW11, besides noticing the tap tempo issue chopping sound when being tapped...
If you are not using the Fractal MFC, try to hit the utilty button, send a couple of midi messages (tap tempo will do) and voilà! No more dropouts.

Use a 2 amp setup. Make the bypass state "MUTE". Then activate amp 1 with amp 2 bypassed, and vice versa for different scenes.

I was working on a new patch last night using this approach but noticed some strange behavior. When switching from Scene 1 -> Scene 2 the transition is smooth as expected. However, when switching back from Scene 2 -> Scene 1 I am getting a brief drop (as if switching X/Y within a single block, even though I am not). I can't seem to find the issue. Basic chain is like this:

Drive 1 ----- Amp 1 ----- Cab 1 ----- [Misc effects]
\--- Amp 2 ---/​

Both amp 1 and amp 2 bypass set to mute. No X/Y changes within each amp between scenes. Any ideas on this scenario???

Back
Top Bottom