Scene Ignore

I am loving the graphic.

I think it could also be helpful for people to build out a use case with a graphic for using 4 scenes to switch amps and cabs while using scene ignore to keep effects separate. Throw in some dual amp scenes into the mix and maybe a drive block that also changes with each scene.

I’m more excited about this feature than I was about the release of the Axe FX III!!!
This is going to make my presets and workflow work so much better!

I wrote the following text about Scene Ignore for you to read/review and hopefully learn from/enjoy.

SCENE IGNORE

Axe-Fx III firmware 19.05 introduced Scene Ignore. This feature is designed to allow more flexible switching based on the operation of certain multi-component analog rigs. With Scene Ignore enabled, a block operates outside of the usual automatic control by scenes. A block with Scene Ignore ON can still be bypassed/engaged or change channels when you use a footswitch, or any other means of "manual" control—just like a fully independent pedal or amp could be.

Here's an example. Imagine a tube amp used with a drive pedal, plus a separate "switching system" for wet effects. The amp will have its own set of footswitches for channels -- maybe Clean, Crunch, and Lead. The drive pedal can be stomped on or off. The Wet effects system has its own "presets" —let's say Dry, Light FX (chorus and a little reverb), and Full FX (Chorus, Delay, and a lot of Reverb). It would be easy to replicate these devices in the Axe-Fx, but without Scene Ignore, the three groups could only be switched together across the eight combinations we call "Scenes". By setting the Amp and the Drive to Scene Ignore and using scenes to control only the effects, you get "mix and match" switching with a total of eighteen different combinations, all from just seven footswitches. Here's how it might look on an FC-12. The three different colored zones are independently switchable. (Only the blue "Effect Scenes" zone uses traditional scenes.)
Find the Scene Ignore option in the Edit menu for most blocks.

PER-CHANNEL
A more advanced option is also possible because Scene Ignore is in fact a per-channel setting. The fact that it is "per-channel" allows a “hybrid” approach. Some channels can be set to respond to scene changes while others ignore them. If this idea seems tricky, think of it as a radio control receiver. Once you select any channel where Scene Ignore is on, the radio is switched off and the block is no longer “listening” to scenes. No scene can then take control of the block, regardless of other settings—but YOU can, using a footswitch, etc.

Example: Channels A, B, and C of a drive block have Scene Ignore turned OFF. They work in the classic manner, and you can program your scenes to control bypass/engage and change channel. Meanwhile, channel D has Scene Ignore ON. If any scene selects Channel D (or if you switch to D using a footswitch or any other means) the block will stop responding to further scene commands. The “radio” is off. In this state, the block can still be switched manually using FC footswitches, MIDI, etc.—just like a fully independent pedal or amp could be. If you manually switch the block back to A,B, or C where Scene Ignore is OFF, it will again begin to “listen” to scene instructions.

If you want a mixed scenario with Scene Ignore sometimes ON and sometimes OFF, you’ll need a footswitch or some other way to change the channel of your block back to a channel that does not ignore scenes. Extending the example above, this might be an FC footswitch. TAP is set to Bypass the Drive, and HOLD is set to Toggle it between Channels A and D. Toggle to A for scene control. Toggle to D for manual control. Tap on or off at will.

TIP: If you always want full scene Independence, a good safeguard is to turn Scene Ignore to ON in every channel. Similarly, if you want a block to be controlled only by scenes, make sure that Scene Ignore is OFF for every one of that block's channels. If not, one of them may be selected by a scene and cause that block to stop responding to subsequent scene changes.
It would be nice to be able to toggle the Scene Ignore on or off using a midi command. If one exists already please let me know.

Ignore Scene Ignore?

FAS, can you make an Ignore controller/modifier that could be attached anywhere? If it's attached to a parameter, it disappears from the UI! The only problem is getting it back. ;)

[NB: This is not serious.]

Finally got around to implementing scene ignore in my kitchen sink bass preset. Now my input blocks and geqs (which I have different channels for different basses) dont have to be tied to scenes, and I was able to get my scenes back to combinations of effects like i always wanted them to be. Went from 2 presets with 16 scenes to 1 preset (it had grown into 2, ugh) with 5 scenes. Game changer. 1 preset, stomp layout capable, scene layout capable, easily tuned for whichever bass Im using 💪👍🤘

I wrote the following text about Scene Ignore for you to read/review and hopefully learn from/enjoy.

SCENE IGNORE

Axe-Fx III firmware 19.05 introduced Scene Ignore. This feature is designed to allow more flexible switching based on the operation of certain multi-component analog rigs. With Scene Ignore enabled, a block operates outside of the usual automatic control by scenes. A block with Scene Ignore ON can still be bypassed/engaged or change channels when you use a footswitch, or any other means of "manual" control—just like a fully independent pedal or amp could be.

Here's an example. Imagine a tube amp used with a drive pedal, plus a separate "switching system" for wet effects. The amp will have its own set of footswitches for channels -- maybe Clean, Crunch, and Lead. The drive pedal can be stomped on or off. The Wet effects system has its own "presets" —let's say Dry, Light FX (chorus and a little reverb), and Full FX (Chorus, Delay, and a lot of Reverb). It would be easy to replicate these devices in the Axe-Fx, but without Scene Ignore, the three groups could only be switched together across the eight combinations we call "Scenes". By setting the Amp and the Drive to Scene Ignore and using scenes to control only the effects, you get "mix and match" switching with a total of eighteen different combinations, all from just seven footswitches. Here's how it might look on an FC-12. The three different colored zones are independently switchable. (Only the blue "Effect Scenes" zone uses traditional scenes.)
Find the Scene Ignore option in the Edit menu for most blocks.

PER-CHANNEL
A more advanced option is also possible because Scene Ignore is in fact a per-channel setting. The fact that it is "per-channel" allows a “hybrid” approach. Some channels can be set to respond to scene changes while others ignore them. If this idea seems tricky, think of it as a radio control receiver. Once you select any channel where Scene Ignore is on, the radio is switched off and the block is no longer “listening” to scenes. No scene can then take control of the block, regardless of other settings—but YOU can, using a footswitch, etc.

Example: Channels A, B, and C of a drive block have Scene Ignore turned OFF. They work in the classic manner, and you can program your scenes to control bypass/engage and change channel. Meanwhile, channel D has Scene Ignore ON. If any scene selects Channel D (or if you switch to D using a footswitch or any other means) the block will stop responding to further scene commands. The “radio” is off. In this state, the block can still be switched manually using FC footswitches, MIDI, etc.—just like a fully independent pedal or amp could be. If you manually switch the block back to A,B, or C where Scene Ignore is OFF, it will again begin to “listen” to scene instructions.

If you want a mixed scenario with Scene Ignore sometimes ON and sometimes OFF, you’ll need a footswitch or some other way to change the channel of your block back to a channel that does not ignore scenes. Extending the example above, this might be an FC footswitch. TAP is set to Bypass the Drive, and HOLD is set to Toggle it between Channels A and D. Toggle to A for scene control. Toggle to D for manual control. Tap on or off at will.

TIP: If you always want full scene Independence, a good safeguard is to turn Scene Ignore to ON in every channel. Similarly, if you want a block to be controlled only by scenes, make sure that Scene Ignore is OFF for every one of that block's channels. If not, one of them may be selected by a scene and cause that block to stop responding to subsequent scene changes.
Any thoughts on adding this to the FM series?

I think this could use also a graphic showing the grid layout in the preset and marking which blocks (or channels) in this example are subject to scene ignore. Being able to make the connection between the preset blocks and the footswitching would help a lot.

The per channel example would also benefit from a bulleted list of "If you do it like this" scenarios covering maybe a couple of scenes with different channels.

I think this could use also a graphic showing the grid layout in the preset and marking which blocks (or channels) in this example are subject to scene ignore.
Actually a graphical block "scene ignore indicator" both on unit grid and AE grid would be super helpful. Maybe a different border style, like dashed or dotted.

Added wishes:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/scene-ingore-indicator-flag-in-grid-view.182514/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/scene-ingore-indicator-flag-in-axe-edit-grid-view.182515/

Last edited:
What would be great would be if someone could post some presets using scene ignore for different purposes and post the purpose and how to use the preset. I get enough of how it works to think it will be useful, but enough about it is confusing enough to end up scratching my head.

What would be great would be if someone could post some presets using scene ignore for different purposes and post the purpose and how to use the preset. I get enough of how it works to think it will be useful, but enough about it is confusing enough to end up scratching my head.

Scene Ignore <=> "Pinning a block channel to the preset regardless of scene." :pushpin: Once you select a scene-ignored channel of a block, no scene changes will change it -- it's effectively "pinned" to the current state (unless you explicitly change the channel).

Scene Ignore <=> "Sticky booger channel". Any selected channel that has scene ignore is like a "booger channel" that won't come off unless you explicitly change the channel (not scene).

Best way to learn: start with an empty preset with AMP and CAB and try it on one or more channels of AMP or CAB and see how it behaves.

Back
Top Bottom