Scene Ignore feature - Discussion & How you use it

Here's a way to squeeze more out of a kitchen sink preset with the scene ignore feature. In this preset I have four amp sounds on AMP 1. I usually use Channel B all the time, but some times it's nice to go a little cleaner (Channel A) or really clean (Channel C) or totally Marshall it up (Channel D).

Now I can!

I have all four channels set to Scene Ignore = On. And the preset is saved with AMP 1 on Channel B (where I normally live).

View attachment 97788

I have a per-preset switch defined that cycles channels on AMP 1:

View attachment 97789

And that per-preset switch is on an override on my EFFECTS 2 page on my FC-12:

View attachment 97790

Now, when I want to change the amp sound I'm using in this preset I head over to the EFFECTS 2 page on my FC-12 and tap that AMP1 channel change switch until I'm on the core amp sound I want. All the scenes work as they did before, which are mainly special effect type scenes for me.

So that's 4 more AMP sounds without any more CPU or complicated switching from a single kitchen sink preset. I'm happy!

I've attached the preset for anyone curious. Global blocks were unlinked, of course.
Exactly why I wished for this years ago. Thanks.. Great explanation. Could it be done other ways?, sort of, but this adds much easier adaptive flexibility imo. Now we just need AxeEdit to make a block standout visually that's being ignored!

Im a little lost as to why this feature was requested and implemented. If you dont want a particular block to change with a scene, simply dont program it that way and it wont. I watched the video. Seems this feature will save seconds worth of time in preset creation, but I’d probably end up forgetting its on and wondering why my blocks aren’t changing to what I programmed them to somewhere down the line.

What am I missing here?

Personally, I think of it as a way to get more granular sustained control of your gain levels. With your Scenes, you can control things like reverb, delay, modulation, and compression all with one button. Then with another set of buttons, you can use different combos of Amp and Drive channels to go from clean to high gain or whatever you want there.

Basically, Scene Ignore allows you to operate your rig a bit more traditionally. It's a good middle ground between full automation and tapdancing. Not everybody's situation is best served by fully pre-programing every sound for every occasion.

For me, instead of having 8 locked-in sounds per patch, I'd rather have the ability to press a single button to swap between combos of delay, reverb, chorus, and to separately be able to slowly ramp up and down my gain and volume as I needed it. If the gig gets louder and more energetic? I can lock into a louder, gainier amp+drive pedal setup while still being able to change around effects with one button if necessary.

OR, you could use it in the opposite way to still control your gain levels. You could set your Amp, Drive, and Compression blocks (in my case I always use compression with clean sounds but never with dirty sounds so it makes sense to tie them together here) to Scenes and then freeball your delays, verbs, and modulation however you like. That actually sounds better to me now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Im a little lost as to why this feature was requested and implemented. If you dont want a particular block to change with a scene, simply dont program it that way and it wont. I watched the video. Seems this feature will save seconds worth of time in preset creation, but I’d probably end up forgetting its on and wondering why my blocks aren’t changing to what I programmed them to somewhere down the line.

What am I missing here?

For me it's more about the workflow playing live than the time saving aspect of setting it up. On my GT22 I can choose an amp channel, then I can switch between 8 scenes and not worry about the amp channel changing anymore. I can now use my amp channel to be a selection of clean to high gain, and any of the 8 scenes.

What am I missing here?
Imagine 4 amp settings and 30 FX patches. That would require 120 scenes, and scrolling through 15 presets to access them, i.e., unusable. Matrixed, it's 30 scenes, 4 Presets, i.e., usable.

4 buttons control amp block channel, 8 for Scene, holds for Preset select. No more than three presses to get to any of the 120 combinations.

I've been doing it with MIDI, but it's really clunky. This will be much easier to program and use.

Heres an example I posted in the firmware thread.

If you use a pitch block at the beginning of the chain to allow a semitone detune (to play some songs in Eb when needed), youd want that to be engaged on all scenes when the detune was needed, and disengaged on all scenes when playing in standard tuning. So you can get that block to ignore scene changes and it will now stay engaged/or disengaged across all scenes as required.

1647028771968.png

Great video. Thanks for the walkthrough! So, now I get the "how". I'm struggling with the "why", though...

What's the difference between scene ignore on an Amp block and just leaving the Amp block on the same channel across all scenes? Is it more seamless scene switching?
same here.

Personally, I think of it as a way to get more granular sustained control of your gain levels. With your Scenes, you can control things like reverb, delay, modulation, and compression all with one button. Then with another set of buttons, you can use different combos of Amp and Drive channels to go from clean to high gain or whatever you want there.

Basically, Scene Ignore allows you to operate your rig a bit more traditionally. It's a good middle ground between full automation and tapdancing. Not everybody's situation is best served by fully pre-programing every sound for every occasion.

For me, instead of having 8 locked-in sounds per patch, I'd rather have the ability to press a single button to swap between combos of delay, reverb, chorus, and to separately be able to slowly ramp up and down my gain and volume as I needed it. If the gig gets louder and more energetic? I can lock into a louder, gainier amp+drive pedal setup while still being able to change around effects with one button if necessary.

OR, you could use it in the opposite way to still control your gain levels. You could set your Amp, Drive, and Compression blocks (in my case I always use compression with clean sounds but never with dirty sounds so it makes sense to tie them together here) to Scenes and then freeball your delays, verbs, and modulation however you like. That actually sounds better to me now that I think about it.

I have been using a controller pedal to goose gain and level (and switch amp blocks) as well as doing scene-based stuff with the accompanying FX. I have also been doing scenes-based amp/cab control with switches and/or controllers to bring in FX here and there. Ability to have stuff stay put through scene changes is going to add a nice new tool to the toolbox. Can't wait to dig into it and see what it can do....

With that said, if we had @Dave Merrill 's channel groups and could switch cab channel/bypass state at the same time (and/or other stuff) with a single button, a lot more could be accomplished, especially if combined with controller use. I doubt more than 4 groups would ever be necessary (I have difficulty imagining more than 2 groups, TBH), so 4 seems like a "do it once and never need to upgrade it" number....

i'm livestreaming now and someone reminded me to try adding Scene Ignore to the Perform Pages.

it works! so if you do want to momentarily have a specific channel of a block Scene Ignore, you can. then after the song or whatever, turn it back off. just remember to be on the correct channel when doing it :D

I have been using a controller pedal to goose gain and level (and switch amp blocks) as well as doing scene-based stuff with the accompanying FX. I have also been doing scenes-based amp/cab control with switches and/or controllers to bring in FX here and there. Ability to have stuff stay put through scene changes is going to add a nice new tool to the toolbox. Can't wait to dig into it and see what it can do....

With that said, if we had @Dave Merrill 's channel groups and could switch cab channel/bypass state at the same time (and/or other stuff) with a single button, a lot more could be accomplished, especially if combined with controller use. I doubt more than 4 groups would ever be necessary (I have difficulty imagining more than 2 groups, TBH), so 4 seems like a "do it once and never need to upgrade it" number....
Thanks for the pump! Not to seem ungrateful for scene ignore, which I'm not, but I hope this wish happens too.

That said, I disagree about 4 groups. I can easily imagine more fx groups than that, for instance. 16 is a nice (binary) round number, fits in half a byte, so both channel and bypass group assignments for a block would fit in a single byte. (That's really 15 groups and None, still pretty useful.)

I'm going to use the Scene Ignore on the Pitch block when using the Virtual Capo. It's going to be much less stressful using the VC with scenes knowing that when it's on or off, selecting another scene isn't going to end up with an ugly surprise!

We're currently doing a song where I turn the VC off halfway through so I have a couple of 'duplicate' scenes, with and without the VC. I can't tell you how many times I recheck the preset to make sure every scene is set up properly and making absolutely sure to hit the correct switch.

I like @Dave Merrill 's idea but it seems a bit convoluted to configure compared to normal scenes management, so I'd go even further and propose Scene Groups.

Imagine having two (or eventually more) sets of 8 scenes in a preset, which are independently selectable and for each block you can choose which scene group it responds to (or doesn't if scene group is set to none = scene ignore)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom