Scene Ignore feature - Discussion & How you use it

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
Since we got Scenes in 2012 on the Axe-Fx II, the ignore function has been a request over the years. Now we have it in 19.05 on the Axe3 :D

It’s such a unique feature, I wanted to start a thread discussing it, then we can keep the 19.05 thread about bug reports or problems.

Here’s my initial video made 5 minutes after waking up and seeing that it exists:

Let’s use this thread to discuss how we plan on using it, questions, tips and tricks, etc., keeping it in one place for such a major function that many requested over the years.

Please drop other videos you find in this thread!

matthew's 3rd point is a little situational, but his first 2 solidly show the benefit of Scene Ignore.

leon shares some other recent updates in addition to explaining Scene Ignore.

Last edited:
Great video. Thanks for the walkthrough! So, now I get the "how". I'm struggling with the "why", though...

What's the difference between scene ignore on an Amp block and just leaving the Amp block on the same channel across all scenes? Is it more seamless scene switching?

Is the default set to not interfere with existing presets or do users need to go through presets?

Is the default set to not interfere with existing presets or do users need to go through presets?
the default is OFF which matches the previous behavior. this shouldn’t affect anyone’s presets/scenes unless they choose to turn it On.

Ok, I'm going to go stand over here with the dumb guys......I just don't get it?
Any help for us Scene Ignored challenged?
For the first dozen years of so of my professional gigging career I used two foot controllers: one to change channels on my amp and the other to control my effects. In the first incarnation I used a Mesa Quad Preamp w/ its foot controller and a handful of effect processors controlled by an Art X-15.

This allowed me to select an effects "package" with the MIDI controller and then change amp channels without disturbing my effects selection.

I then graduated to a Mesa Triaxis. I liked the dual foot controller approach so I used a Rockman MIDI controller to control the Triaxis and the X-15 still controlled the effects.

Eventually I got old and lazy and replaced the two foot controller approach with a single Lexicon MIDI controller but it was never as flexible.

Scene Ignore allows you to do the same thing. You select a desired scene for your effects and your amp channel doesn't change. You can then change amp channels without disturbing your effects.

Im a little lost as to why this feature was requested and implemented. If you dont want a particular block to change with a scene, simply dont program it that way and it wont. I watched the video. Seems this feature will save seconds worth of time in preset creation, but I’d probably end up forgetting its on and wondering why my blocks aren’t changing to what I programmed them to somewhere down the line.

What am I missing here?

I wanted/needed this feature already in the past for my FM3 rig:
there was a situation where I wanted to change my Amp/Cab rig with scenes, but control all the effects extra. This is now easily possible (at least with the FX3).
The behaviour is more like with a real pedalboard.

Also you can just add the pitch block for donwtuning and you don't have to turn it on on every scene ...

Here's a way to squeeze more out of a kitchen sink preset with the scene ignore feature. In this preset I have four amp sounds on AMP 1. I usually use Channel B all the time, but some times it's nice to go a little cleaner (Channel A) or really clean (Channel C) or totally Marshall it up (Channel D).

Now I can!

I have all four channels set to Scene Ignore = On. And the preset is saved with AMP 1 on Channel B (where I normally live).

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 4.36.53 PM.png

I have a per-preset switch defined that cycles channels on AMP 1:

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 4.36.57 PM.png

And that per-preset switch is on an override on my EFFECTS 2 page on my FC-12:

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 4.41.07 PM.png

Now, when I want to change the amp sound I'm using in this preset I head over to the EFFECTS 2 page on my FC-12 and tap that AMP1 channel change switch until I'm on the core amp sound I want. All the scenes work as they did before, which are mainly special effect type scenes for me.

So that's 4 more AMP sounds without any more CPU or complicated switching from a single kitchen sink preset. I'm happy!

I've attached the preset for anyone curious. Global blocks were unlinked, of course.

Attachments

• Trey A - Scene Ignore.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 20
Im a little lost as to why this feature was requested and implemented. If you dont want a particular block to change with a scene, simply dont program it that way and it wont. I watched the video. Seems this feature will save seconds worth of time in preset creation, but I’d probably end up forgetting its on and wondering why my blocks aren’t changing to what I programmed them to somewhere down the line.

What am I missing here?
It’s just the way you approach creating presets.
If I have my effects dialed up in various scenes and now I want to use them with my low gain amp, high gain amp, clean amp etc.
Conservatively, 4 effect chains into 3 amps is 12 scenes which doesn’t work the old way.

For MIDI, Im guessing it will be the same as other parameters where you just tell the unit and the device what CC and PC (whatever is required) to program?

For the first dozen years of so of my professional gigging career I used two foot controllers: one to change channels on my amp and the other to control my effects. In the first incarnation I used a Mesa Quad Preamp w/ its foot controller and a handful of effect processors controlled by an Art X-15.

This allowed me to select an effects "package" with the MIDI controller and then change amp channels without disturbing my effects selection.

I then graduated to a Mesa Triaxis. I liked the dual foot controller approach so I used a Rockman MIDI controller to control the Triaxis and the X-15 still controlled the effects.

Eventually I got old and lazy and replaced the two foot controller approach with a single Lexicon MIDI controller but it was never as flexible.

Scene Ignore allows you to do the same thing. You select a desired scene for your effects and your amp channel doesn't change. You can then change amp channels without disturbing your effects.
So, it's basically like doing it old school. Like back when we had an FX processor but also had a footswitch for our amp channels but generally stayed on that one ch. Ok, I guess that makes sense now. Man these guys are needy :)

So, it's basically like doing it old school. Like back when we had an FX processor but also had a footswitch for our amp channels but generally stayed on that one ch. Ok, I guess that makes sense now. Man these guys are needy :)
That's ONE way to use this new feature. But not the only way. Just the most obvious way.

As someone else pointed out: you can use this to make a Capo effect scene-independent. So you can turn the Capo on or off and have it stay in that state across all the scenes. Very nice if you use one preset for a few songs but on one of the songs, only, you want to be 1/2 step down.

What am I missing here?
It's not that "you don't want a particular block to change with a scene". It's that you want to change the channels of a block (usually an amp block) and scenes for the rest of the preset independently.

As someone else pointed out: you can use this to make a Capo effect scene-independent. So you can turn the Capo on or off and have it stay in that state across all the scenes. Very nice if you use one preset for a few songs but on one of the songs, only, you want to be 1/2 step down.
Ok, what am I missing? (Go easy on me if it's something obvious, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.)

I you use that one preset for a few songs, but like you said, only want it on on certain songs, isn't it going to stay on that scene as soon as you switch to it?

I wish we could "group" things better. If I have a dual-amp setup, how do I quickly toggle 2-amps and a cab?

I would have preferred scene revert to have worked at the block level with a flag on every scene that said "scene ignore". This would enable me to have grouping of blocks at a per-scene level. Scene 1-3 could change amp/cabs. Scene 4-6 could change just my main delay groups. Scene 7-8 could alter my reverbs, etc.

An alternate approach was suggested by @Dave Merrill. I think it's brilliant. With the below, I probably wouldn't even need to use scenes at all. Just group whatever I want to change with a simple button push.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/channel-groups-and-bypass-groups.173736/

That's ONE way to use this new feature. But not the only way. Just the most obvious way.

Ok. So should I think about it more like a universal bypass switch? Because bypass is scene dependent and this scene agnostic...

It's not that "you don't want a particular block to change with a scene". It's that you want to change the channels of a block (usually an amp block) and scenes for the rest of the preset independently.
Here we go. This clicks.

Back
Top Bottom