Scene Controller Values Reset to 0 on Power Off/On

sprint

Axe-Master
When I change patches, saved SCENE controller % values are retained, however, when I power Off/On the scene controller % values saved with the patch are reset to 0.

AxeEdit is not active during my test of this issue.

My patch is trying to use Scene Controller 1, #s 2,4,6,8

I have a AxeII-Mk1

Can someone else with an Axe II-Mk1 try to test this issue just so I can rule out / in issues with my unit / battery (only 3 years old so battery not likely dying).

TEST:
- Set a scene controller value in one of your presets.
- Save preset.
- Turn AxeFx Off/On.
- See if the scene controller value is still set.

Last edited:
Can someone else try to test this issue just so I can rule out / in issues with my unit / battery (only 3 years old so battery not likely dying).

TEST:
- Set a scene controller value in one of your presets.
- Save preset.
- Turn AxeFx Off/On.
- See if the scene controller value is still set.
It's working for me.

Yes, it's odd. I'm not sure it's your battery, though. Get in touch with Fractal support and see what they say.

Actually, I'm back to thinking it is a fw bug since I have some presets that will retain scene controller values across power cycle and others that will not.

Actually, I'm back to thinking it is a fw bug since I have some presets that will retain scene controller values across power cycle and others that will not.
For the presets that don't retain the scene controller values, what do they have in common?

For the presets that don't retain the scene controller values, what do they have in common?

Been trying to figure that out. I took a patch that retains the values (a good patch), and step by step, with power cycles between steps, I gradually made the good patch exactly the same as a patch that does not retain the controller values. At some point along the way I expected the problem to pop up in the good patch, but no.

If I copy a problem patch to another slot, the issue remains. To get rid of it I have to take the good patch, and copy past from the problem patch block by block.

At least now I can get back to a patches that retain the controller values and eliminate the ones that don't, though it's a mystery what aspect in the settings is related to this issue.

As we used to say in my IT career - "it's a UFO".

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a corrupt patch. The fix for that is to rebuild it—which you've already done. :)

Kill the bad one...keep the good one.

So - more info on this issue:

Up to now, the best theory was that it's a corrupted patch that I was copying around to spread the issue (lost scene controller settings in a patch after power down/up); though that seemed a bit unlikely to me. We'd ruled out battery issues since some patches retained all settings and the issue seemed to have some consistency.

Today the issue returned again on a patch I was sure I had totally rid of the issue yesterday.

But this time I have a repeatable sequence of steps to recreate the issue

Here it is:
- Starting with a good patch which does not exhibit the problem behavior:
- If I add another modifier to the ones I am already using, I lose scene controller settings on power down/up.
- If I remove the additional modifier that I added, I no longer lose scene controller settings on power down/up.

Looks like I have hit a modifier usage limit even though my patch CPU usage is only at 84% and I'm not using the full number of modifiers/controllers available (though I am using a lot: 10 modifiers to 8 external controller locations and 1 scene controller with values set in 4 of the 8 scenes). Setting up the use of one more modifier and pointing it to one of the 8 external controllers I'm using seems to push some scene controller values over the cliff at power down/up.

Not sure if I'm hitting a valid modifier limit or a bug. I know there is a controller limit of 12 but I don't see (sorry if I missed it) a documented limit on the number of modifiers that can be used.

Last edited:
I know there is a controller limit of 12 but I don't see (sorry if I missed it) a documented limit on the number of modifiers that can be used.

Are you sure it's reloading the values you saved after changing presets and returning without powering off? Or is it showing the values loaded by the other good preset? Storing & reloading while powered on but losing them when powering off seems stranger than not saving them at all. This would be similar to when scene controllers were first added, if you tried a preset saved before that (with no data about the values) vs. one that had been saved after updating with recognizable values.

I think it's possible for a preset to run out of space to store more parameters. It was with the Axe 1 at least. Do you happen to have a tone match block in the problem presets? Those seem to use about half of a preset's space that would usually be all zeros, or available for other parameters/modifiers, I'd guess.

So - more info on this issue:...

Looks like I have hit a modifier usage limit even though my patch CPU usage is only at 84% and I'm not using the full number of modifiers/controllers available (though I am using a lot: 10 modifiers to 8 external controller locations and 1 scene controller with values set in 4 of the 8 scenes). Setting up the use of one more modifier and pointing it to one of the 8 external controllers I'm using seems to push some scene controller values over the cliff at power down/up.
It's not happening here. I just tested, starting with four scene controllers and nine external modifiers connected. One by one, I added another modifier, cycled the power, and checked to see if the scene controller values were still there. I'm up to 15 attached external modifiers, and the scene controller values are still there after power-up.

Is it possible you forgot to save after the last addition? I've done that before. :eek:ops

I think a preset upload could have helped us back at post #1 :) we are all just guessing without seeing it for ourselves.

Thanks for the replies: I've uploaded a patch to Exchange called: "LOST-CONTROLLERS-ONL-PWRCYCL". At time of export this is a patch that loses scene controller values in my case (AxeII-Mk1). The scene controller values I set are: Scene 1: 1-0%, 2-100%, 3-0%, 4-50%, 5-0%, 6-100%, 7-0%, 8-50%

There's no tone match blocks in the patch, and I've been making sure they are saved by switching to other patches with different values and back, then making sure scene control values are correct. I've also done this without AE to see if that might have been the issue.

Try the patch if you have time and see what happens: Load up the patch, confirm that you see the scene controller values (or put them in as above if they did not load on import). Then power cycle and see if they are still there.

If you get the problem, then take out the modifier in the "Send" block (level), and also take out the one in the "reverb" block (hold), and see if your scene controller values still get lost after power cycle (mine do not get lost after removing these two other modifiers which is why I though I'd hit a limit of some sort).

It's doing everything you described here w/ MK II. It's like there's a temporary memory of scene controller values for that preset slot, lost when powering down. I can export to USB, change SC values on Axe, import from USB and see the previous values return. Exporting to USB without actually saving the preset on hardware affects these temporary SC values too. Power off/on, SC values stay at 0. Send the preset saved from USB dump before, now they stay at 0.

It looks like the preset is pretty full, no large strings of 00. I didn't try removing the modifiers you mentioned but I deleted a pitch & flanger block, and then it would save SC values normally.

Back
Top Bottom