Scene Controller set to turn on amp's 'boost' (Plexi) clips when 'ON'

Bman

Power User
I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to turn on the Plexi's boost in a preset. When I use a scene controller it clips badly. The settings show 'ON' and 'OFF' rather than 'Min' and 'Max' so I'm assuming it's the right application.

Is there a value that the boost built into the model uses that the SC parameters exceed?
Is it possible to set up a control switch that turns a drive pedal on and turns the boost on (to the normal level of course)?

The fattened tone from the boost (or Vol1 in tube world) sound great when over driven but pretty flubby when trying to clean up.

It should work like engaging boost normally without a modifier. Does it clip when you do that with no modifier assigned?

Posting the preset might be a good idea.

It does not clip when engaging the boost. I will post tonight when I've got it loaded and in front of me. At one point I thought I had my head wrapped around Scene Controllers, Modifiers, etc... The answer lies somewhere in the search button. I just haven't taken the time to search deeply. Moke has posted some really good explanations so I'll start there. But the clipping is puzzling and I think maybe the boost value is like 50% for example and the modifier is juicing to 100%.

It does not clip when engaging the boost. I will post tonight when I've got it loaded and in front of me. At one point I thought I had my head wrapped around Scene Controllers, Modifiers, etc... The answer lies somewhere in the search button. I just haven't taken the time to search deeply. Moke has posted some really good explanations so I'll start there. But the clipping is puzzling and I think maybe the boost value is like 50% for example and the modifier is juicing to 100%.

Make sure the levels are consistent in each scene! If your not aware as you do have to drill down to the page.

Make sure the levels are consistent in each scene! If your not aware as you do have to drill down to the page.

Are you speaking of the Scene output levels or the amp levels? The amp levels are the same. They are the X amp. There is a difference of about 2db in the two scenes and a difference in the Drive boost levels. However, if I simply engage the boost in either scene I don't get the clipping. User error....obviously :)

Not to derail my own thread but.....Hey Sixtring: You once asked me about the Yamaha DXR 10's mid voicing. I think you said to your ears there was a definite mid 'hump' in what's supposed to be a flat FRFR curve. I definitely hear that now after being without the speaker for some time. Not that it's bad or anything. It's just there. I'll have a better comparison in a couple of weeks when the Xitone arrives. The Yamaha still sounds great but I think you are spot in with your observation.

Are you speaking of the Scene output levels or the amp levels? The amp levels are the same. They are the X amp. There is a difference of about 2db in the two scenes and a difference in the Drive boost levels. However, if I simply engage the boost in either scene I don't get the clipping. User error....obviously :)

Not to derail my own thread but.....Hey Sixtring: You once asked me about the Yamaha DXR 10's mid voicing. I think you said to your ears there was a definite mid 'hump' in what's supposed to be a flat FRFR curve. I definitely hear that now after being without the speaker for some time. Not that it's bad or anything. It's just there. I'll have a better comparison in a couple of weeks when the Xitone arrives. The Yamaha still sounds great but I think you are spot in with your observation.

Humm... 2db between scenes, well an obvious question here, did you check the level in the preset using the VU meter on both scenes? I have quite a few presets that have scenes that use the boost but not using scenes to engage it. I usually allow 2-3 db bump in volume for the boost when doing this.

On the DXR10 because it's a smaller box sometimes companies will add mid range to help Vocals stand out! this is just an educated guess but it seems to make sense.

I use a Control Switch on a couple of presets to engage the Boost in the Amp block and have no issues with clipping. One of them has the CS attached to the modifiers on the Master Volume and Gain as well for a 'solo' type function that increases the level by 4 dB. May not answer the question but may help rule out that simply engaging the Boost switch in the Amp block being the cause of the clipping you're experiencing.

I use a Control Switch on a couple of presets to engage the Boost in the Amp block and have no issues with clipping. One of them has the CS attached to the modifiers on the Master Volume and Gain as well for a 'solo' type function that increases the level by 4 dB. May not answer the question but may help rule out that simply engaging the Boost switch in the Amp block being the cause of the clipping you're experiencing.

I think this is more or less what I'm looking for because I'd like to turn on a boost drive and engage the boost switch and maybe more. I know several of you guys use these methods so Im searching the forums and trying to make notes in my OneNote to organize myself.

The Boost switch adds a flat 12 dB of gain in front of the amp (4 times as much signal). It's not adjustable. Use Input Trim instead if you want an adjustable amount of gain boost. It goes all the way up to 10 times as much signal (+20 dB)

I'm not doing something right. I assigned Cntl Switch 1 to the boost and assigned the "off' value for scene 1 and "on" value for scene 2. I get this loud popping noise while I play. If I remove the assignment and simply engage it sounds fine.

Attachments

• BB PLEXI 100W 1970 - C.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 3
The Boost switch adds a flat 12 dB of gain in front of the amp (4 times as much signal). It's not adjustable. Use Input Trim instead if you want an adjustable amount of gain boost. It goes all the way up to 10 times as much signal (+20 dB)

I don't see much of a volume jump in the level meters if any when I manually engage. Is the boost directly related to the input trim? When I adjust the input trim I'm not getting the same effect.

Attachments

• BB PLEXI 100W 1970 - C.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 4
I'm not doing something right. I assigned Cntl Switch 1 to the boost and assigned the "off' value for scene 1 and "on" value for scene 2. I get this loud popping noise while I play. If I remove the assignment and simply engage it sounds fine.

Are you trying to use a control switch or a scene controller to engage the boost? Scenes do not save parameter values, only block bypass and X/Y states and the main output block level. You have to assign one of the two scene controllers to change parameter values between scenes.

Yes. That's what I'm trying to do. There is an ON and OFF value for the Boost modifier but doesn't seem to work like I'm wanting. I was able to create a Cntl Switch and vary the input trim like you were suggesting.

I think this is more or less what I'm looking for because I'd like to turn on a boost drive and engage the boost switch and maybe more. I know several of you guys use these methods so Im searching the forums and trying to make notes in my OneNote to organize myself.
I use the Control Switch manually to avoid extra scenes. I pretty much just use 2 scenes with the toggle scenes 1/2 on one footswitch and the Control Switch 1 on another. The other footswitches are assigned to whatever effects I may need to control.
Yes. That's what I'm trying to do. There is an ON and OFF value for the Boost modifier but doesn't seem to work like I'm wanting. I was able to create a Cntl Switch and vary the input trim like you were suggesting.
One Control Switch can be used to activate/deactivate and control multiple modifiers at once. For switches, the MIN needs to be set to the 'normal' state (on or off) and the MAX set to the opposite state. For example, I have one preset where Control Switch 1 turns on the Boost and turns off the Bright Cap as well as increases the Amp's Gain and Cab block Level. I've attached the preset if you want to take a look.

One other trick I've used is to set the Control Switch to momentary if I just need the boost for a quick turn-around or lick.

Attachments

• All About You---MTCH.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 5
I use the Control Switch manually to avoid extra scenes. I pretty much just use 2 scenes with the toggle scenes 1/2 on one footswitch and the Control Switch 1 on another. The other footswitches are assigned to whatever effects I may need to control.

One Control Switch can be used to activate/deactivate and control multiple modifiers at once. For switches, the MIN needs to be set to the 'normal' state (on or off) and the MAX set to the opposite state. For example, I have one preset where Control Switch 1 turns on the Boost and turns off the Bright Cap as well as increases the Amp's Gain and Cab block Level. I've attached the preset if you want to take a look.

One other trick I've used is to set the Control Switch to momentary if I just need the boost for a quick turn-around or lick.

I'll load this up and try to fish out where you've got your modifiers. I think the part that I'm having trouble understanding is that when I assign a Cntl Switch to the Boost switch the values show an ON/OFF parameter for min/max rather than a percentage where you would see if it were assigned to a linear item. From what you've described you've figured out how to address this if you're able to turn on the Boost and turn off the Bright. Thanks for posting the preset.

I'll load this up and try to fish out where you've got your modifiers. I think the part that I'm having trouble understanding is that when I assign a Cntl Switch to the Boost switch the values show an ON/OFF parameter for min/max rather than a percentage where you would see if it were assigned to a linear item. From what you've described you've figured out how to address this if you're able to turn on the Boost and turn off the Bright. Thanks for posting the preset.
Min is the state of the switchable parameter with the Control Switch off, Max is the state with the Control Switch on.

Back
Top Bottom