Scene changes on the AX8 unit not saving

atquinn

Power User
I tend to be an on-the-unit editing type of guy. Anyway, I was messing around with a preset (one of the stock presets that I saved to 17-1) and when I edited scenes on the unit and then saved the preset, the scene changes were not saved. I hooked the AX8 up to AX8Edit and was able to make and save my scene edits. I disconnected the AX8 and tried again to edit scenes on the unit itself and again I failed. Has anyone else run into this? I attached a copy of the preset I was working on if you want to try it for yourself. If I do something like edit the reverb block to change the type, the change gets saved. But if I go to Scene 2, enable the Phaser block, save the preset, then switch to scene 1, when I switch back to Scene 2, the Phaser block is disabled. I had an AxeFX2 so I have some idea of what I'm doing, but I'm not sure what's going on.
-
Austin

Attachments

• Double Verb.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 2
It sounds like Scene Revert is set to On and it also seems like it is ignoring preset saves (which would be a bug?). Try the same test with Scene Revert set to Off.

......or could be a faulty unit, I'll take that old thing off your hands.... ;-)

It sounds like Scene Revert is set to On and it also seems like it is ignoring preset saves (which would be a bug?). Try the same test with Scene Revert set to Off.

......or could be a faulty unit, I'll take that old thing off your hands.... ;-)

Scene Revert was the first thing I thought of. But actually, if you think about it that shouldn't have anything to do with it since I'm not making any changes in the scene after I save the preset. But at any rate, it behaved the same way with it set to off. It's seems like it would be weird if it's a bug and no one has noticed, but then again, I get the feeling that many people never really do any editing on the unit itself and this is something that doesn't happen through the editor. I'm just hoping someone who has an AX8 can confirm/deny that this happens to them before I bug Fractal about something that is quite possibly caused by something stupid I'm doing. :D
-
Austin

hmmm. i am experiencing what you describe. i don't remember coming across this in testing.

but this is only happening when i adjust the On/Off state of the block in the Layout view. (i assume you were doing this because there is no Footswitch block for Phaser.)

but if you add Phaser to the Footswitch blocks and then turn things on and off per scene and save, it works how you would expect it to. will report.

hmmm. i am experiencing what you describe. i don't remember coming across this in testing.

but this is only happening when i adjust the On/Off state of the block in the Layout view. (i assume you were doing this because there is no Footswitch block for Phaser.)

but if you add Phaser to the Footswitch blocks and then turn things on and off per scene and save, it works how you would expect it to. will report.

Yes, you're exactly right. In fact all the blocks I was trying to do this with (amp, phaser, and FX Loop) were only in the layout view. Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not going crazy :D
-
Austin

It's seems like it would be weird if it's a bug and no one has noticed, but then again, I get the feeling that many people never really do any editing on the unit itself and this is something that doesn't happen through the editor.
It seems like most people who have AX8 units in hand are AxeFX users already (and are used to editing via AxeEdit), so some hardware UI bugs like this are only going to surface once the AX8 is distributed more widely to the non-elect.

It seems like most people who have AX8 units in hand are AxeFX users already (and are used to editing via AxeEdit), so some hardware UI bugs like this are only going to surface once the AX8 is distributed more widely to the non-elect.

Well I had an Axe Fx2 for a few years and I pretty much always edited on the unit. That's how I've always rolled. And since there was quite a bit of time where AxeEdit wasn't keeping pace with the firmware advancements on the unit itself, knowing your way around the hardware interface was the best way to insure that you could take advantage of new features as they were introduced. Editing on the AX8 is slightly more cumbersome than on the rack units because there are fewer buttons and it's on the floor. So I'll probably use the software editor slightly more with the AX8. I'm sure I'll still do the lions share of the editing on the hardware though.
-
Austin

Last edited:
I'm editing on the AX8 and ax8 edit about 50% of the time. When I first got I edited on the unit is self mainly. Tweaking parameters it's saving. And I've done scene changes and it's saved. Maybe it's the release version. Not the beta version before. Hmm interesting

Nice catch. :0)

Last edited:
I'm editing on the AX8 and ax8 edit about 50% of the time. When I first got I edited on the unit is self mainly. Tweaking parameters it's saving. And I've done scene changes and it's saved. Maybe it's the release version. Not the beta version before. Hmm interesting
same here. definitely did some "hardware only" tests before. but not to worry, we fortunately have WIZARDS who make these sorts of bugs vanish in thin air!

I was having issues as well. I figured out that if I am editing a block, I must first exit the block back to layout view. Then save. Even doing that, sometimes the bypass state isn't being saved until the 2nd or 3rd attempt on a scene...

So why not use the editor, if that works, until the bug is fixed?

Unless the editor is not up to date or something ...

Unless the editor is not up to date or something ...

The editor does work, but all of us don't have a computer permanently attached to our modellers :). Ideally, and especially in the case of a "designed-for-live-use" unit like this, you need to be able to perform all core functions (which this is) using just the unit itself.
-
Austin

I haven't connected a computer to my AX8 yet. I thought I was getting along fine with the unit controls but scratched my head several times thinking I'd saved bypass states before powering off. I guess now I know why. Thanks for uncovering this issue and thanks to M@ and Joe and Chris for getting it on the 1.01 list.

Yeah this thread makes me realize I need to spend a lot more time with the front panel versus just using the awesome axe-edit program. I certainly don't want to find out at a gig something behaves different or whatever. My plan was to simply do all programming via axe-edit and gig...never use the front panel...probably a bad idea. I gig a ton so I probably should have my head wrapped around the front panel.

My opinion is the computer editor is for downloading presets from the web and "rough" building a bunch of patches. All the fine tuning and tweaking is done on the front panel, that way you know the ins/outs and can adjust on the fly in any situation...

Back
Top Bottom