Scene changes - amp channels and audio gaps?

Read the section on Spillover in the manual. That covers spillover between presets, and that's needed to accomplish that.

While preset switching is fast on the III, changing sounds through scenes (within a single preset) is often faster. And spillover is largely automatic. The section in the manual about preset spillover and the global Spillover parameter do not apply to scenes. As Rex writes, the Bypass Mode parameter is most important here.

Regarding switching channels: almost everything happens almost instantly, except amp channel switching. That requires a bit of time, no way around that, due to the way things are modeled. Just time things well or let reverb or delay ring out ...
Thanks very much. My plan was to build a preset on a song by song basis. Build the preset with adequate scenes to work through a song.
Most of the tracks have clean sections then have to jump into an overdriven sound. If the clean delays from the verse for example allow the amp channel change seem smoother with an ambient spillover then that’s all good.
Some of the delay parts are integral to the part and letting them naturally decay into the next part which would be a straight up crunch tone is pretty important to me.
I realise there are controllers and modifiers which could raise and lower an amp gain to achieve a cleanish tone right through to a high gain tone. I want the ability to use two specific amps though where required. Ideally a fender clean and an orange crunch for example. Or a Vox clean and a Bogner crunch. You get the idea.

I think I need to ideally find some sound examples on YouTube or ideally try the setup for myself. I’m currently on the Uk waiting list.

Thanks very much. My plan was to build a preset on a song by song basis. Build the preset with adequate scenes to work through a song.
Most of the tracks have clean sections then have to jump into an overdriven sound. If the clean delays from the verse for example allow the amp channel change seem smoother with an ambient spillover then that’s all good.
Some of the delay parts are integral to the part and letting them naturally decay into the next part which would be a straight up crunch tone is pretty important to me.
I realise there are controllers and modifiers which could raise and lower an amp gain to achieve a cleanish tone right through to a high gain tone. I want the ability to use two specific amps though where required. Ideally a fender clean and an orange crunch for example. Or a Vox clean and a Bogner crunch. You get the idea.

I think I need to ideally find some sound examples on YouTube or ideally try the setup for myself. I’m currently on the Uk waiting list.

This is an example of what I’d need to achieve. 👍

Cool!

I'd say that those transitions are within reach when using scenes.

Another approach would be not switching between amps, but build on the clean tone and use one of the drive blocks to get the dirty tone. Perfectly feasible with the current generation of drive models in the FM3 (same as in the III).

I find the gap too much to switch between amps unless it's certain songs where I know there is a bit of a gap and it won't be noticeable.

My 'workaround' is to use a single amp and then use scene controllers to control gain and input trim to make a faux clean amp. Works for instant scene switching with no gap and you can just boost the level of the 'clean' amp to bring it back up where the volume was lost from dropping gain and input. Doesn't work well for every amp but some are great all rounders, currently using the triptik modern for this. The plexi 1970 jumped also works nicely for this application. I'm sure there's plenty more. Don't expect fender twin cleans but you can get something very passable, depending on what you want to achieve, I personally like Marshall style cleans the most so a tiny bit of grit is ok for me.

One thing that will help a bit: when you have a hold function on a footswitch, it triggers upon release instead of press. So setting up a live layout that doesn't have hold functions on the switches helps a lot. Makes feel a lot quicker to me.

It’s enough of a disappointment for me to retract from the waiting list I’m afraid.
It’s the main reason I parted ways with the Axe FX2.

Like you say, there are other brands that have worked around the issue. I’m not claiming I understand the engineering behind it. Fractal seem to have superior amp models in my experience, maybe that has something to do with it.
Thanks for the info 👍
On the axe fx 2 you can use two amp blocks instead of the X/Y state of AMP1.

The way I write my music often involves some sort of delay on a clean section which will switch to a big thick Crunch tone. It’s more the spillover I’m focusing on, if the FM3 has the ability to allow delays to bleed in the channel change on an amp (within one preset) to mask the channel change then happy days.
It is the abrupt cut off of ambient effects from one amp sound to another that is rather jarring to my ears and often sounds a little amateur in my opinion.

I use a couple of presets where delay spillover is absolutely necessary. I sorted it out using two delays in parallel and scenes (with mute fx in bypass mode on the delay block).

That way one delay turns off with proper spillover while the other one kicks in. No gap whatsoever.

I’m using the same amp for both scenes, of course. I get clean tones by rolling off the volume knob. Been doing this for years even before amp modeling was a thing.

It would be great if processing power were so cheap, cool, and small that we could offer two complete engines in each product for switching that could actually crossfade. Until that future arrives, you can choose to let any very small gaps bother you, or not. To put things in perspective, there are many, including serious pros like like Dweezil, the Edge, Devin Townsend, Chris Traynor, Trevor Rabin, Adrian Belew and many others, who switch not channels in the middle of a song, but PRESETS, and no one ever notices (or if they do, they don't care.)
Lots of interesting and useful information on here.
I notice someone mentioned X/Y capabilities on the Axe FX2 and it’s seamless switching. Would Fractal ever consider reintroducing this feature into the FM3? As it seems to be a common issue with a lot of players.
Thanks.

Just a suggestion: Would it be possible in a future update to add second amp and cab blocks for FM3, even if it takes up all the cpu within a preset? I'm awaiting for my new FM3 to arrive and already looking for how to set it up for live use. I'm likely going to pair this with HX Effects, and so using the FM3 as only as a "two amp box" with seamless switching seems like something I might use if it was allowed with a firmware update. Maybe most people wouldn't use this, but some of us might? Would be amazing if it was possible, for example HX stomp can do this, two amp blocks and two IR blocks and it basically sucks all the juice out of the little box, but it works seamlessly.

If I’m ok with the axe fx 2 amp xy audio gap will the fm3 be the same? I’m sorry to beat this to death but I want to be confident when I sell my 2 to get the fm3.

Hi everyone,

I have noticed there has been a couple of firmware updates since this thread and wanted to check in to see if spillover of delays and reverbs is any better when changing amp channels within one preset?

If anyone can demonstrate switching on here that would be amazing. It seems to be a common concern with modellers.
The audio gap between switching.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record. I’m a big fan of what Fractal do and I’m keen to learn more.

Thanks.

Just a suggestion: Would it be possible in a future update to add second amp and cab blocks for FM3, even if it takes up all the cpu within a preset? I'm awaiting for my new FM3 to arrive and already looking for how to set it up for live use. I'm likely going to pair this with HX Effects, and so using the FM3 as only as a "two amp box" with seamless switching seems like something I might use if it was allowed with a firmware update. Maybe most people wouldn't use this, but some of us might? Would be amazing if it was possible, for example HX stomp can do this, two amp blocks and two IR blocks and it basically sucks all the juice out of the little box, but it works seamlessly.
Unlike HX, in Fractal products, there is an assignment of individual elements (amplifiers, effects) to specific physical elements (cores). I would also like to have more freedom in using the CPU, but I don't think that's possible anytime soon.

Hi everyone,
Just a quick question about the FM3 and it’s scene switching abilities.
I used to own an Axe FX ii and used it for several years. No doubts the tones are superb and the possibilities are endless.
I’m very familiar with the tonal quality.

I had issues with the gap between switching patches. I understand when switching presets the entire system reboots the loading process creating a little gap.
Has this been eliminated on the FM3?
When using scenes I have read it is the most effective. Is this still the case using one preset and multiple amp channels in the amp block and assigning them to different scenes?
Is switching instant? Do delays and reverbs spillover smoothly?

Thanks very much.
This may help…

Back
Top Bottom