Scene change with MIDI pedal... Please help

ozanerkal

Inspired
Hi I have this Boss FC-50 MIDI controller which has no problem changing presets, but..

I want to write a preset for each song I play and create scenes for each section of each song..

So, for Song1, I'll dial to preset1 from the front panel, start playing at scene 1, and say, for the solo, I'll hit the pedal #2 and switch to scene 2 and then maybe 3, 4 and 5.. (the controller has 5 pedals)

For Song 2, I'll dial Preset 2 (again from the front panel of the axefx) and then jump between scenes within that preset..

Now I have read the manual and what I have to do is mapping, so that PC's (program changes) will effect scenes.. but if I'm not getting it wrong, I can only set a PC to a certain scene of a certain preset.

i.e, if I set it to change scenes within preset 1, then while playing song 2, and press pedal#2, it'll go to prst1-scn2 instead of prst2-scn2.

Can I make my point clear? Is there a way to correct this?..
Thanks.

Hi I have this Boss FC-50 MIDI controller which has no problem changing presets, but..

I want to write a preset for each song I play and create scenes for each section of each song..

So, for Song1, I'll dial to preset1 from the front panel, start playing at scene 1, and say, for the solo, I'll hit the pedal #2 and switch to scene 2 and then maybe 3, 4 and 5.. (the controller has 5 pedals)

For Song 2, I'll dial Preset 2 (again from the front panel of the axefx) and then jump between scenes within that preset..

Now I have read the manual and what I have to do is mapping, so that PC's (program changes) will effect scenes.. but if I'm not getting it wrong, I can only set a PC to a certain scene of a certain preset.

i.e, if I set it to change scenes within preset 1, then while playing song 2, and press pedal#2, it'll go to prst1-scn2 instead of prst2-scn2.

Thanks.
You can also use a CC for what you want to do, if you change scenes only sequentially (1->2->3->4..) you can use the scene incr CC.
Or you can program the "scene select" Cc to select it with the value (scene1=0, scene2=1, scene3=2, etc..)

Last edited:
thanks but not what I need.. I need to go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 1 for example.. so a pedal for each scene is essential..

First of all you have to set each switch to midi Cc #34. Then for each scene switch set a different value for the CC to send, 0 for scene 1, 1 for scene 2, 2 for scene 3, and so on..

From the wiki:
"Assign a switch to the MIDI CC for Scene Select (default 34) with values 0 to 7 to select scene 1 to 8 within the current preset. Values higher than 7 also select scene 8. Values higher than 63 will step through the scenes, wrapping at the limits."

OK, I think I understand.. I'm trying to find if my BOSS can be programmed that way.. But very little hope.. It's from 1990 or 1991.. I have the manual but as far as I've read it, it doesn't mention setting switches to CC's and values.. Thank you for your time my friend..
First of all you have to set each switch to midi Cc #34. Then for each scene switch set a different value for the CC to send, 0 for scene 1, 1 for scene 2, 2 for scene 3, and so on..

From the wiki:
"Assign a switch to the MIDI CC for Scene Select (default 34) with values 0 to 7 to select scene 1 to 8 within the current preset. Values higher than 7 also select scene 8. Values higher than 63 will step through the scenes, wrapping at the limits."

@FractalAudio, can this issue be handled in firmware? I mean it should be an easy modification to enable MIDI mapping such as:

map from preset: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7
map to preset: ANY
map to scene: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 (1 for 0, 2 for 1.. etc.)

"ANY" is not the right term, i know.. it should be something like "KEEP CURRENT" or something.

Now can't it be done???

Does your midi controller allow you to send data value along with the CC number?

The way scenes are controlled over midi is by sending CC #34 with a data value. The data value indicates the scene to be selected (0-7 rather than 1-8, in the simplest example).

Many older or "simpler" midi controller pedals allow only a CC "toggle". Internally they send a data value of off (0) or on (127) with no way to specify any other data value.

If you can't do this you will have to resort to preset mapping, which is far less elegant...

@FractalAudio, can this issue be handled in firmware? I mean it should be an easy modification to enable MIDI mapping such as:

map from preset: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7
map to preset: ANY
map to scene: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 (1 for 0, 2 for 1.. etc.)

"ANY" is not the right term, i know.. it should be something like "KEEP CURRENT" or something.

Now can't it be done???
That isn't the way it works... The preset mapping sends a PC followed by a CC, if I remember correctly. So it has to know which PC to send.

That isn't the way it works... The preset mapping sends a PC followed by a CC, if I remember correctly. So it has to know which PC to send.

I'm not sure I understand..

What I understand is, that with mapping, i can tell the axefx that when I send PC#3, to go to let's say Preset 5 + Scene 3, instead of going to Preset 3 which it would do without mapping... right? so CC is not involved here.. It's just a case of how axefx responds to a given PC.

So my logic tells me that it should be possible to tell the axefx to take my PC and use it as the new scene number, but keep the preset constant..

I'm not sure I understand..

What I understand is, that with mapping, i can tell the axefx that when I send PC#3, to go to let's say Preset 5 + Scene 3, instead of going to Preset 3 which it would do without mapping... right? so CC is not involved here.. It's just a case of how axefx responds to a given PC.

So my logic tells me that it should be possible to tell the axefx to take my PC and use it as the new scene number, but keep the preset constant..
If you are going to use the PC# command, it's going to need a preset number to go along with the scene number.

AXE_fx_XL_MIDI_mapping.jpg

MAP FROM PRESET is the PC# being sent from the pedal.
MAP TO PRESET is the one you are attempting to keep constant. However, AFAIK, if you are using the PC# method, the internal map needs a preset number to map it to.

If you just want to directly change a scene, without respect to the preset number, you have to use the CC# method, not PC# method. DLC86 explained it well in post #7. So, the limiting factor will be whether or not your Boss controller can be programmed for CC#.

What you say above sounds right to a point. I fear that for each Song you would need to map different custom responses for each scene you use which sounds like a lot of work. What you really need is the ability to map to a NULL preset (and use your front knob idea) and then one of eight standard PC numbers to select the scenes 1-8. Not sure if this is possible?

The FC50 can't really handle CC commands.

Other option would be pick up a cheap behringer fcb

Yes.. now I'm taking the hard way and assigning a PC# to each scene of each preset (with axe-fx's midi mapping) It's taking time but it will work as intended. Plus, I won't have to use the front knob this way. Thanks to @FractalAudio for at least making it possible to do stuff with non-programmable midi controllers like mine.. But still I'd like to know if "mapping to current preset (or NULL preset)" is possible with a software upgrade. :)

Thanks all for your time and thoughts. Love this forum.

What you say above sounds right to a point. I fear that for each Song you would need to map different custom responses for each scene you use which sounds like a lot of work. What you really need is the ability to map to a NULL preset (and use your front knob idea) and then one of eight standard PC numbers to select the scenes 1-8. Not sure if this is possible?

The FC50 can't really handle CC commands.

Other option would be pick up a cheap behringer fcb

get another midi controller. time is money, and you will waste plenty trying to change scenes with a controller that will not send cc# messages. there are many other features that are also nice to control with cc# commands such as tuner, looper, effect block bypass.

Thanks.
Hey man! Do you know how to configure the Boss FC50 to the Fractal? I am dealing with that but I can´t do it properly?

If you are going to use the PC# command, it's going to need a preset number to go along with the scene number.

AXE_fx_XL_MIDI_mapping.jpg

MAP FROM PRESET is the PC# being sent from the pedal.
MAP TO PRESET is the one you are attempting to keep constant. However, AFAIK, if you are using the PC# method, the internal map needs a preset number to map it to.

If you just want to directly change a scene, without respect to the preset number, you have to use the CC# method, not PC# method. DLC86 explained it well in post #7. So, the limiting factor will be whether or not your Boss controller can be programmed for CC#.
Hey! How you configure the Boss FC 50? I have the Axe Editor in my computer.

Hey! How you configure the Boss FC 50? I have the Axe Editor in my computer.
I saw you posted on the Facebook group? You have an Axe Fx Standard, not Axe Fx II, correct?

Just asking because it might not work the same (I started with Axe Fx II so I can't say).

You may also want to post a thread in the Standard sub-forum.

Back
Top Bottom