Scene...ARIO!! Scene 1 or Scene 2

reclavea

Fractal Fanatic
Recent posts on some AxeII failures sparked me pondering. One failure was according to FAS an IC failure

I juggle 2 lounge type trios/Duets(backing tracks in the duet), as well as a Top-40 Band and a modern rock band!

Implementing all these great new features of the AxeII and the MFC specifically with scenes and the looper I'm sure we all agree is a godsend! I'm implementing these to it's fullest!

I was pondering if ....god forbid something happened that needed factory repair, I'd surely be beside myself.....given hours of tweaking and patch setups and CC control ....simply grabbing a Multi-Pedal like a Line 6 or something would now be very difficult.

My main setup before was the Mesa TriAxis/2:90. Hard to go back to that understandibly in a quick emergency. Besides, if not for the Axe I'd still have them (I had 4 pairs!).

In these tough economic times it's seems tougher on us musicians.

Couple of "Scene" arios:

Scene 1: FAS gives us a great price break for a "backup" AxeII.

Scene 2: FAS presents a more affordable "stripped down" AxeII MINI

Wishful thinking for "Scene 1" but for "Scene 2" an AxeII Mini with a couple basic assignable L&R outs
may be perfect as a "worry free" backup. The Mac Mini comes to mind but not sure even stripped down the Axe hardware limitations make it practical. Not withstanding the MFC.

......reliability issues seem to be very minimal as my experience with the Ultra was flawless!
......yet....still...the Law of Thermodynamics.

Pondering....how thick or thin the ice is.

Various things have been said over the years about something like scene two. Many of us might get but as a back up ect but it will actually open a new market for people who are currently priced out if the II/MFC market

I would love a one rack space Axe Fx MINI for backup purposes. I hate packing that Pod X3 Live every weekend but if I don't Murphy's law says that's the night some skank drops her drink on my shizzle.

Various things have been said over the years about something like scene two. Many of us might get but as a back up ect but it will actually open a new market for people who are currently priced out if the II/MFC market

Yes, I recall those posts.
I wasn't too concerned at the time as I figured a Zoom multi-pedal, Digitech RP or a Line 6 would slide right in with minor work arounds.

However, I'm not so sure if extensively incorporating all the new AxeII/MFC features as I stated before.

Maybe, tweaking 5-10 emergency patches on our favorite multi-pedal would suffice....but the downtime involved with such a disparity in tone and feel will sure affect the psyche! I treat every gig as a major gig, whether a simple lobby lounge gig, coffee cafe gig, wedding or a major show! I want to sound my best!

Buy a standard or ultra as a backup.

Pls re-read the gist of my post.
Sounding best also means executing patch changes in confidence .....hence "Scenes".

Unless we use these new features very sparingly, some of us (me included) will be scramblin' somewhat when we have to breakout our backup. Regardless if it's a Standard or Ultra.....or TC, or whatever.

Thanks all for input!

I think most people feel like they are "scramblin" when they have to go to their backup rig at the last second. If I have to go to a backup at a gig the lack of the "scenes" feature (which we only just got anyway) is probably the last thing I'm gonna worry about. Unfortunately when you have to go to a backup rig, unless you have an exact duplicate of your main rig, you are always gonna give up functionality (if not sound quality as well), that is the nature of the game. If being able to get by with the best sound quality possible at the best price is the goal then having a Standard as a backup is a great way to go. Of course you will lose some functionality, but if don't want to spend the money on another AxeII then you have to be willing to give something up. You can't have a backup that does everything your main rig does, but for significantly less money..........you have to be realistic.

Of course rumor is that Fractal has a stripped down version in the works already, so maybe this will meet your needs........someday. If we're talking about the world we live in today though, a Standard or Ultra is about as a good as it gets if you're looking for a lower cost alternative to the AxeII.

Very good points!

Scenes are very new but drastically changes the SOP we are use to with regards to setting up and storing presets.

If I were ever in a bind I would get the pod hd500 floor board, it is no axe but I know I can get workable tones if I had no other choices

This thread topic has nothing to do with the recently added "Scenes" feature on the Axe-FX II. :)

This thread topic has nothing to do with the recently added "Scenes" feature on the Axe-FX II. :)

Ha ha!!
Yeah, it is a pun!!

I gig in a couple hours and so far only have scenes setup on 2 presets. It was a lot of fun setting up! If I set them up for 30 of the 75-100 patches I use .....and relied upon them greatly as is expected ....?

Well, life ain't fun if we don't live dangerously at times,.....I guess :-I :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom