Scary moment at gig last night with the FM3...

Ugly Bunny

Power User
I'll probably post this in the bug section, too, but I'll wait to see what others' thoughts are.

Essentially, I have a couple presets that are very high DSP usage. I had never had any issue gigging with them before, and this was my second gig with 4.0. The first one was flawless.

What was happening last night was that all of a sudden, the guitar would cut out and the red "WARNING - MUTED" notification would start displaying; and this was after I'd already played several songs with it just fine, so there didn't appear to be any discernible "trigger" that caused the DSP overrun. I could switch presets, then switch back, and it would be fine again indefinitely until it would happen again. I'd say, the whole night, it happened about 3 or 4 times.

One thing of note, though, was that treadle for my EV-1 was toe down the whole time (I rarely use wah, so I usually don't pay much attention to it). Even though the wah is set to auto-engage, the wah wasn't engaged, but once I went ahead and put the toe up - about halfway through the night - the problem didn't happen any more. So I have to wonder if just the unit somehow clocking the expression pedal's toe down did something wonky with the DSP...

In any case, I'm gonna work today to redo these 2 particular presets to (hopefully) not even come close to diming the DSP limits.

Reactions: HIO
When you drive right at the edge of a cliff, sometimes you can go for miles before your wheel finally slips over the edge and you go down in flames. And when you do finally go over the edge, and you want to know why, it's because you were driving at the edge of a cliff.

Moral of the story: Never gig on the edge of a cliff. o_O

Would you say the WARNING indicator is the edge of the cliff or is a certain percentage of CPU usage the cliff's edge?

You know if you post your presets, there’s a lot of smart dudes around here that can help you find points of potential cpu savings from eliminating redundancies or reducing blocks because the functions you’re using them for can be found in core blocks like the amp and cab.

Not me, of course. I don’t gig or even use half of what these machines can do.

The WARNING indicator is the cliff. If you see it, you’ve already driven over the edge.

Personally, I never let a gigging preset go over 80% CPU.
I remember when iphones and itouches first came out. You'd buy a 16gig one but then realize the os took up almost a quarter of it... so you really didn't get 16gigs.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Reactions: Rex
I remember when iphones and itouches first came out. You'd buy a 16gig one but then realize the os took up almost a quarter of it... so you really didn't get 16gigs.
Yup. CPU is the same way. It takes a certain amount of CPU just to keep the box running.

There are several things you can do to get some CPU free.
I use input boost in amp block instead of drive block for example in most of my presets.
Use economy mode at reverb...on stage you can't hear the difference.
Sometimes I use Plex Delay instead of reverb.
Prevent unnecessary shunts.
(This means reducing space between blocks instead of spread them over the grid and cable them with many shunts)
Andy many more.

There are several things you can do to get some CPU free.
I use input boost in amp block instead of drive block for example in most of my presets.
Use economy mode at reverb...on stage you can't hear the difference.
Sometimes I use Plex Delay instead of reverb.
(This means reducing space between blocks instead of spread them over the grid and cable them with many shunts)
Andy many more.
Personally i think using reverb live is a bad idea, your essentially adding another room to the one your already in , now if using in ears
you may want to add a bit but i would avoid it to FOH and use delay instead for ambiance
IMO

Personally i think using reverb live is a bad idea, your essentially adding another room to the one your already in , now if using in ears
you may want to add a bit but i would avoid it to FOH and use delay instead for ambiance
IMO
Sure...
I use reverb sometimes in common for my presets.
But live I often bypass it.
But I want to have my presets for general use and so I do not need to create extra presets for live use...
And may later want to add a reverb and there's no CPU left anymore 😉

[...]
Is that true? Shunts/cables use CPU? I've never checked that. Have you? How much do they use do you think?

Sure...
I use reverb sometimes in common for my presets.
But live I often bypass it.
But I want to have my presets for general use and so I do not need to create extra presets for live use...
And may later want to add a reverb and there's no CPU left anymore 😉
The load is the same whether it's in bypass or not. The block in the chain uses the same CPU regardless.

Is that true? Shunts/cables use CPU? I've never checked that. Have you? How much do they use do you think?
Yes they do. I believe the manual says a "small amount." It'd be easy to figure out (I doubt very few, if anyone, has actually checked it out.) Grab a factory preset that has unused blocks, delete them, and see how much the CPU goes down.

Yes they do. I believe the manual says a "small amount." It'd be easy to figure out (I doubt very few, if anyone, has actually checked it out.) Grab a factory preset that has unused blocks, delete them, and see how much the CPU goes down.
Unused blocks are different from shunts. Is unused blocks what you meant?

I think blocks use the same cpu whether they're bypassed or not.

What I thought you were saying was that moving blocks closer together, so fewer shunts/cables were needed to get across the empty slots, would save cpu. That's what struck me as unlikely, but I haven't actually tried it.

Back
Top Bottom