Scary Axe-Fx II behavior . This ever happen to anyone else?

bjjp2

Power User
Playing at home last night for about an hour and really enjoying myself. All of a sudden out of nowhere the unit emits a high-pitched screeching noise. The screen goes blank. I turned unit off an on and then everything comes back to normal. Have used the unit for countless hours without ever experiencing this. If this happened at a gig it would be horrendous. Any ideas what caused this and how to avoid it? I'm a little traumatized.

Extra information such as what firmware are you on and what blocks were active would assist in troubleshooting. There was a known issue with the multi tap delay a few firmwares ago that exhibited this behaviour.

Few factors to check:
- if USB was connected to PC / mac
- if you're using mfc make sure it's running latest fw
- get yourself power conditioner as current spikes sometimes
- play under an hour :)

Not connected to computer
Using MFC, matrix power amp and cab
No multitap delay
Was using Furman voltage regulator.

Was very relieved that unit wasn't fried. Scared the shit out of me.

Not connected to computer
Using MFC, matrix power amp and cab
No multitap delay
Was using Furman voltage regulator.

Was very relieved that unit wasn't fried. Scared the shit out of me.

Using 5153 Blue Amp Block? Had some lockups yesterday after updating to 15.03. Really scary. Have some gigs next weekend. Changed my main amp from 5153 to Friedman HBE. no lockup in a couple of hours.

Using 5153 Blue Amp Block? Had some lockups yesterday after updating to 15.03. Really scary. Have some gigs next weekend. Changed my main amp from 5153 to Friedman HBE. no lockup in a couple of hours.

Nope. And it wasn't the lockup that freaked me out so much as the high-pitched squeal.

Just calm down. It will never happen again if its not cpu over usage issue. The gig is gonna be Jüst finé :)) electronic devices can shit away sometimes :) its not somethinf constant

I use the same model and had a lock up as well. I am using the same firmware version 15.03. Happened just once. No high pitch squeal. Didn't pay much attention since I know computers can be flakey at times. Am kind of wondering if there is possible issue with this model since this is seen by multiple people.

Had happened to me a few times in the past exactly as you described but prior to FW 13 I would guess. I could never pinpoint why. Very strange.

I had this in FW14 something, i think. Had it 2-3 times.
Think it was a corrupt preset. Don't remember what i did to get rid of it. Maybe an update.

Never happened after this.

Guys... stuff happens.. I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable on the Axe, the MFC, and FAS software.
I did a sub gig last Sat.. took the XL and my relatively new MFC Mk3. Had reconfigured the MK3 for FASlink (as I had the XL) , reset the IA's to my defaults (not same as factory) and off I went to the gig. Never connected it to the XL before hand.

Plug it all in at the gig.. no preset names on the MFC and Axe-FX TIMEOUT message displayed.. Needless to say I didn't have much time to tinker, tho' I tried CAT5 and various other things. I did the gig with no preset names, no external volume control and Xnnn showing in the MFC display. It did change banks/presets.. but that's all. eThere I am thinking the XL or the MFC has to go back.. grrrr.

On Sunday I troubleshoot and figure out that I had forgotten to set the MFC "mode" to XL. It was on AxeII. Amazing how well it works when all configured correctly.
Sh*t happens to the best of us, so I wouldn't worry about the screech...unless it happens a few more times!

I had a lockup at last night's gig on fw 15.03, Axe-FX II. It happened on sending a patch change MIDI message (followed by a few CC resets) ... Axe-FX still displayed the previous patch, but was frozen and silent. :-x

Both the previous patch and the one I selected are well under CPU limit, and I had no problem switching between the patches before and after the freeze.

All ok after a reboot, but I'll need to revert to a previous firmware if this happens again.

I've had it happened to me one time, and it was when trying on a bunch of presets (trying to persuade my mate to go the fractal audio route)
and when I came to a preset with a drone, it just went bananas and a loud squeeking noise (squeeking is that a word?) lol
I just killed the speakers and shutdown the axe and restarted it, continued to demo the axe fx but just avoided that preset .. never had any problems
after or before that time, so I am pretty sure it was a " fw / preset incompatibility " issue .

so my 2 cents would probably be, if it happens again check to see if it happens to the same preset ..if so .. rebuild it and can the old one

:)

Back
Top Bottom