Scared SH$$LESS Help!!!!

ps43203

Experienced
Hey Fractal Dudes,
I know this has been hashed and rehashed, no pun intended, but I am scared to death to take the plunge, but I really do not have a choice. I have been playing 30+ years and am now disabled with serious back issues. FUBAR, anyway nuff about that. I tried to gig with a band last year but due to pain etc.. could not continue. Because I left, the band broke up, I feel terrible still, and I really wanted to do it. So..... I have 3 kids to support on disability, and my daughter has downs syndrome and autism, my sons are great, thank god. Needless to say I'm on a serious budget. The good part is I have a shit ton of gear that just sits, I have Marshall heads and a full rack, 12+ guitars, etc.. that I can't obviously move around, let alone gig with, so I REALLY want an axe-fx II. I would like to know how some of you guys were able to move your old gear or finance it etc..???? I wish someone could come over and take all my crap and give me an axe-II, lol. I have a hard time asking for help and feel guilty about wanting to spend that kind of coin on a rig, but guitar is all I have left for myself, and really want to have an axe II before I die. If anyone out there can help or share some advice i would greatly appreciate it. I have been trying to finish a solo album FOREVER, but never happy with my tone, and will NOT compromise just to get it out. I guess I need reassurance that this is the right thing to do. Thank You in advance to all, and will keep pushing for a solution. Cheers!

I went Axe FX for near the same issue, back problems. I ended up eBaying all the gear that was too heavy which helped bridge the financial road to FAS. Axe FX plus any powered cabs are a hefty investment although if you have decent pa and monitors you can just run direct if minimal gear helps. I have been completely happy, stoked to say the least with the change coming from a long time tube purist, from large stomp pedal boards, rack effects etc... Fractal is the bomb and about as good as it gets. I hate to pitch an idea here but if budget is an issue, I actually started with BIAS/Jam Up/Positive Grid and there are blue-tooth pedal boards available. Very cheap affordable rig, not nearly as capable of what FAS can do but truly the smallest iOS guitar rig on the planet and they sound dam good too. I actually toured with it for a short stint. I still have a few of my tube amps at home for recording or shows where I wanna be Gene-o Bonamassa :)~ But that hasn't happened yet. The AX XL is where I live though, plus throw anything at it, acoustic, 6 str, 8 string, bass guitar, vocals, its extremely flexible to a 3D mind.

Hope your back improves, I got an epidural shot in my L4/L5 works immediately to relieve pain but a year later I am med free as of July 1st. Fish Oil high in Omega 3's is your disc lubrication and good brain food, that alone got rid of the Vicodin's. Lighter gear, good shoes, inversion table and a little band help made a difference too. Best of luck to ya

First off, welcome to the forum. Looks like your first post even though you've been here awhile.
Also, let me say sorry to hear for your diability. I can't imagine being in that situation.

For me, going about purchasing the Axe was similar in some aspects to you. I, primarily a bass player, continually wondered if it made sense to, how could I afford it, and would I truly get benefit from it worth the cost (especially since this thing is 99.999% for guitarists). It took me many months of reading, listening (to useless for me videos by metal guitarists playing dream theatre covers and constant sweep picking), and lurking on these forums.
At some point, I decided I either needed to shit or get off the pot. If I was going to do it, I was going to just commit to it and see if it works for me. I took solice in that if it didn't, my loss on the used market would be pretty minimal. Heck, if you get a new one from FAS, I think you have 14 days to return anyway. So really, it was a low-risk, high-potential situation for me. But still a hefty price tag.
I started seriously saving my money and got on the wait list. I ended up with the cash at the ready, and Axe-Fx 2 being on backorder. So I started browsing used. Ended up finding a good deal on a used unit near me. Picked it up, paid for it, and brought it home.

Within an hour, I knew I made a good choice. Though very much geared for guitarists (which I noodle on now and then anyway), it still worked decently for bass. A quick read through of topics on the forum and I found IRs and tone matches that furthered this for me. I made a few of my own TMs and got even better. Then I hit axechange and found a few presets that were getting me even closer to tones I liked.
Within a day, I knew I made a great choice. I started creating my own presets, realizing that I could do pretty much anything I wanted in the Axe. Some of the tones and FX I was hearing in my head for our tunes were taking shape. Then I started playing with scenes and things REALLY began clicking.
Within 2 days, I knew I made the right and absolute best choice I could have. I began selling my old gear (craigslist and some groups on facebook) to help offset the cost. I'm still "behind" on a pure money aspect, but that's because I only sold some power amps and preamps - kept one of my favorites of each - and kept my cabs. But from an enjoy-ability standpoint, it's amazing. In some regards, this has revitalized playing for me, as I have new avenues at my finger tips. I've put more hours per week in behind my basses and guitars since I got my Axe than the preceeding two years (before Axe I was probably playing 4-5 hours a week, and now I'm nearer to 10 or 12 hours a week). Did I mention that my enjoyment of playing is simply higher as well? I played a LOT of shows over my 15 years as a bass player, and done a lot of cool things (including my present project - see sig). I never considered myself in a "lull" or "rut" for playing. But now, with the Axe, I'm happies with my tone, happier with the possibilities and flexibility I have (live and recording), and as a result, playing more and having more fun.

That was the beginning of my adventure, and it hasn't much slowed down since to be honest. I still play around in the Axe every day - with a history behind me of building and tweaking tube amps, getting into the "advanced" parameters is FUN for me. I feel more creative juices flowing all of the time, and am looking for more outlets to play in other projects and bands even. All the while, I get to enjoy a ton of benefits from the Axe.

I spent $2500 USD on my Axe Fx 2 mk2 + MFC-101 Mk 3 (lightly) used. Even had I spent $3000 USD (roughly the price of a new similar setup), I would feel that it was the best investment for myself and my playing that I have spent in recent times. It's A LOT to bite off for most anyone - especially weekend warriors and the like. Even with selling gear, unless you have something valuable to part with after, you're unlikely to really reach parity. But, the unmeasurable benefits you get from this setup is worth every cent, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the warm welcome and insight from you guys, I appreciate it. I am where you are Selta, I either need to shit or get off the pot,lol. I kinda know that it would be a good choice, I just can't believe it sometimes. It's hard for us older dudes to let go of stuff, I've had some of my Marshall's forever, but ironically every modeler is all Marshall based anyway. I don't understand why this is so hard, I guess laziness factors in too. As far the tweak factor, I've had like, 5 gsp 2101's, and the axe is a cake walk compared to editing that pain in the ass piece of gear, lol. But no 2101 probably no axe-fx, right? Again I appreciate the insight, my back is just soooo freaking bad, I think I would welcome a 2u rack, well at least 4u,lol. I still can't believe the wedge thing, I would need to go poweramp/cab first. I don't get out much so I have never heard FAS live, except youtube, which doesn't count,lol. I need to hear it LOUD and in the room. I WILL do this, I need too, I have enough gear to fund it and be able to keep a Marshall or 2. I guess I will start with craigslist. I'm just not looking forward too having frreaks stopping by all day, lol. I live in western NY and it seems I'm the only one around here who plays guitar, like for real, not just a bedroom wanker, lol. I always get upset when peeps have 5000$ rigs and can't play. More power too them, they can't blame the rig now right? I'm just kidding of course. Thanks again guys, hopefully next time I can share preset or 2 for guitar and bass!

Try to see if there's any local memeber who will let you in to try theirs out. Just be ready to spend money after you do. There's so many Axe users out there, there's bound to be one within a reasonable driving distance for you. :)

it's totally worth getting for so many reasons.
For me, the weight factor sold it.
Especially after I heard it.
It's only gotten better and better, with the best sounds I've ever had in 35 years of playing guitar.
There is a bit of a learning curve, but so many helpful forum people and their videos are making that a shorter curve.
This is the perfect time to jump in.
All the best,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'm starting to get excited for it. I'm also eager to get the job done. I ready to get rid of the guilt after purchase too,lol.
I just hurt to effing bad and deserve it,lol, just to able to go to a studio with little rack and do what I do best. Is a dream.
I can finally be heard after 30 years of playing, I also need to get a good set of monitors and headphones.
Any of you guys use the lower end sennheisers? Are they satisfactory? Or should I go for higher end?
I want to do this once and only once.:) Thanks again to all!

for headphones, I've used AKG240's since I started recording back in the 80's.
I'm really familiar with their sound and they are around $100

the other guys here also have some others they really like.

I agree, buy it right the first time. No guilt on buying the AXE. None.

Right On Mesa man, you said 80's, so I am going with your recommendation.
AKG240's are cool, I can't wait to go through every decade on the FASBockz.
Only thing is that I will tweak myself to death probably. I will cold bias a plexi
first, a modded one, no, a Soldano:p and put it through some cool ir's of which I have
thousands! Then make a Fortin, Yea!

I second the high power omega 3s and glucosamine. I'm 44 and have been active all my life playing hockey and other sports. In 2007 i came down with lower back tightening and pain and it still isn't resolved. I can't stand for more than 15 minutes. Anyway, MRI showed arthritis in L4 L5 and L6. I've tried everything from inversion table, physio, Chiro, back decompression belts, drugs, you name it. I'm convinced that the omega 3 from costco has been helping. I sold all my heavy gear and bit the bullet on the axe. Best of luck with all your challenges and hopefully you will aquire an axe soon.

If money is the issue, you could consider getting a used Ultra. That would be about half the price. I have both the Ultra and the II and I would say the Ultra is about 80% as good as the II. The main difference is that you have tweak the Ultra a lot more to get good tone, especially for live use. There are tons of threads on this forum for how to do that. If you are mainly using it for recording, I think with an Ultra you get 90% of what's in the II for half the price. You don't get all the latest amp models or upgrades, but the Ultra gives you enough flexibility to get just about any sound.

I second the high power omega 3s and glucosamine. I'm 44 and have been active all my life playing hockey and other sports. In 2007 i came down with lower back tightening and pain and it still isn't resolved. I can't stand for more than 15 minutes. Anyway, MRI showed arthritis in L4 L5 and L6. I've tried everything from inversion table, physio, Chiro, back decompression belts, drugs, you name it. I'm convinced that the omega 3 from costco has been helping. I sold all my heavy gear and bit the bullet on the axe. Best of luck with all your challenges and hopefully you will aquire an axe soon.
You definitely get it. I blew mine out at work 6 years ago and still in severe pain 24/7. I had a disk replacement with a pro disc L, and then in 2011 had full fusion from l4 down, with a cage and 12 screws and bolts. I have the front end of a Buick in there,lol. Anyway, do NOT have surgery if you can possibly stand it. I am now home forever, 100% disability which the company doctor awarded me! I can't stand for the about the same time as you, and guitar is all I have and my kids and wife of course. It has been a hell ride from the beginning. If you ever need to talk etc... Let me know, I GET IT, most people in our predicament, do not understand what it is like and hope to god they never do.
So, that's why I am here, I don't have a pot to piss in, but stilll have my rig,lol. I thought of going for an Ultra, but they are going for $1400 or so, and the Axe-2 is not that far away. I've seen a few go for $1700-18 hundo's, which I can cover, and with the addition of the XL, you know a lot of folks will be selling their Mark II, and 1's for the XL. I just need to go for it and hopefully have some left over for Christmas, my wife is cool with it, she understands. She knows guitar is my life after the kids and family, that's all I do. If it not for my guitar I really don't think I would have made it this far. Like you, I played hockey for 25 years, and played up until my injury, I miss it sooo bad, but have come to grips over the years that it is just not going to happen. So guitar is it and I really want to finish my solo record, which I have a few hundered tunes to pull from over the past 15 years. I think the axe is the right answer now, I just need to get though selling everthing which will be a mountain all by itself. Thanks for the tips and encouragement, I am prescibded Lovaza which is a killer omega 3, if you can get it, do it. It does not do a thing for my pain, but is not a bad thing either. Cheers!

I also wanted to mention that I was insiting on getting a hold of Fortin modded Marshall and decided that I could probably pull off that tone, with the Axe-II, by manipulating some of the current models.
I also have a PCB from a 1980's Marshall JCM 800 2205, which I still plan to, hopefully, build, we'll see. Anyway, I wanted that in addition to ther Fortin, but modded without the reverb in it, changing the
reverb circuit into an extra gain stage. I could probably pull that one off too??? Anyway, Cliff if you happen to read this, I would really dig having any Fortin, and a 1989 Marshall 2205, pahleeze.
I KNOW everyone would absolutely freak over these 2 models. A little out of the box, no pun, but the 2205 is a misunderstood beast that WILL earn a highly regarded place in amp history, not the
2210, the 2205, the 2210 is not nearly as sweet IMO. I know some of you guys get what I'm sayin. Aloha, serious amp dudes!

Sell your stuff and get the Axe, a Matrix800 amp and 1 or 2 CLR wedges. I'm telling you, you will never look back. I did it. 40 in the business and I'm happy I did it. Easy to lug around. So quick to set up you won't believe it.

I went back and forth on my AxeFX decision for about six months. I finally decided to order one based on the great recommendations from pro players, and from talking with people here on the forum. It's an expensive step, and obviously there are options. One of my concerns was the price / performance ratio, which is based on some mental math as follows:
AxeFX = $2500
Line6 POD HD PRO X = $699
Avid Eleven Rack = $650
-------
Is the AxeFX *really* 3 times as good as the other two options? Could I just get by with one of those other choices? It seems like people use them and like them.

I chased my tail for months while I was doing research, reading reviews, and talking with owners of all the systems.

Ultimately it came down to this: (1) I'm picky. I know what I want for tone, effects, and flexibility. I never scrimp on preparing / transcribing my parts. (2) There are pro players using all three of the guitar rigs in my little list. It sure seems like the top-tier guys (who can probably afford anything they want) are all AxeFX users, and collectively they produce a very wide range of tones (3) If I get anything less than the AxeFX, I'll always wonder what I might be missing.

I got my AxeFX II XL and MFC-101 Mk III in April of this year. Within two weeks I was on tour with my new system. That means I had less than two weeks to learn the system well enough to program my entire show. I was able to do it, and the results were fantastic. I have received many compliments from FOH engineers in the last six months; all of them have said something to the effect of "I've heard other 'modeling' processors before, and I haven't liked them much. That thing produces the best guitar tone I've ever had at the board." My AxeFX rig is smaller and lighter than my tube amp + boutique pedalboard. It's incredibly powerful and flexible. In the time I've owned it, there have been multiple major firmware updates, expanding the already awesome functionality. I love my AxeFX.

One more important consideration : if you buy the AxeFX and decide you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it easily.

Some hands-on experience might help you with the decision. Try to find someone in your area who has one. AxeFx owners are generally happy to play "show & tell".

Some hands-on experience might help you with the decision. Try to find someone in your area who has one. AxeFx owners are generally happy to play "show & tell".
I'll bet, I sure will be when I can finally have one. I like above, have been researching and weighing, the pro cons and all that shiate, and then the thing that helps make ME sure, is that
I never have heard anyone convincingly say that anything was better. There is no tier above it and no tier in sight above it, from another company anyway.
In addition, I don't gig because of issues, but I could go to a studio, which is what I want. I also have the tweaking thing preconfigured in my brain, so I don't think it will take long
for me to adjust. I am using a gsp1101 right now, which is good, but could be better, hence the axe-fx 2 decision. I'm now gearing up, to go, and just get it done,
so I can do what we are all suppose to be doing and that is playing guitar! Or Bass!8)

I was on the fence forever, pondering, researching, wondering 'do I really want to ditch my pedals and gear?', worried about the cost and one day realized I could sell my pedals and some rack gear, did so, picked up an XL and the MFC-MkIII and haven't looked back.

Load in and load out is a breeze, sound checks are seconds long, it's just a whole new world and I'm excited to be a part of it!

Incidentally, I'm a 30 year long tube snob too, and I'm MORE than happy with my sound now.

Ok, I'l just come out and say it... Just ditch your gear anyway you can, eBay, Craigs list, here on the forum whatever. Keep 2-3 guitars that you can't do with out and buy an Axe II and MFC or ?? if funds are limited. Get a good FR cab... you will thank us after words :mrgreen.

Bottom line is don't be afraid... there are enough people using it Pro and weekend worriers alike to more then justify a confident purchase.

I guess I need reassurance that this is the right thing to do.
In the end, only you can decide what's right for you to do.

On the other hand: it sounds like you have enough gear (that you can't use anyway) to fund a full Axe-Fx system with cash left over. If your family's needs are being met, it just might be the right thing to do. Somewhere in all this, you gotta do something for you.

Back
Top Bottom