Scammer alert

You're not only wrong, you also might get registered as 'unbankable' if it comes out that the transfer you contested as "llegal" came from your own IP adress through your own e-banking access, whether you be american, chinese, european or whoever.
Paypal is practical, I use it 90% of the time for buying articles from who accepts so, but don't say it is safer than bank transfers : it just isn't; I can't help it, it's the way it is.
Personnally I will continue to prefer bank transfers for anything I sell and will not send off anything until the money is registered on my account.
BTW not much chance I'd sell or buy anything to/from the US...VAT, shipping, change and service costs are generally prohibitive; not to talk about warranty problems in case anything breaks down...

Perhaps a better question is, how do you sell anything if you require Bank transfers? Who agrees to that lol

Perhaps a better question is, how do you sell anything if you require Bank transfers? Who agrees to that lol
You're right. For me having 100% positive notations on ebay (...!), audiofanzine and a few other sites probably helps; howbeit I experienced no problems for the few items I sold this way (over 100 euros). But I'm not a frequent seller, sure.

As a buyer I've agreed to pay the PayPal fee in order to not use the Friends and Family option. If they still push for the Friends and Family option, that's a big warning sign to me.

As a seller I always push for them to use Friends and Family option. It's not about the PayPal fee but I'm worried about the "reverse" fraud of selling something only for them to contact PayPal saying that it wasn't what they purchased. PayPal will almost always side with the buyer so they will refund the money to them and now they have the money and whatever I sold. Using the Friends and Family option in that case protects me.

I have a friend who sold I think it was like a wireless unit on eBay and the buyer contacted eBay saying that the unit was broken so they got it returned. But they returned a different, and indeed a very much broken unit, and he didn't have enough evidence to prove that the unit they send back was a different one (it was the same model). So now I always make a point of taking pictures of serial numbers and similar when I sell.

It really does suck that we have to think about stuff like this. And I agree that it's better being robbed than being a thief.

Had the same thing happen several years ago. Sold a guy a guitar on evilBay. Had numerous pics of the guitar prior to shipping - it was in near-mint condition. He left very positive feedback on eBay as to how nice the guitar looked & played. A week later he claims it arrived damaged & wanted a refund. I asked for pics of the "damage" - he refused. At that point I refused to refund him so he filed a claim with PayPal. I sent PayPal about a dozen pics of the guitar and pointed out the feedback he left on eBay, plus the fact that a week went by before he claimed "damage", and sent them the email where he refused in writing to supply pictures of the "damage". PayPal said I could've "PhotoShopped" the pictures I sent them and also said the buyer didn't have to supply proof. Haven't done business with those bastards since.

I just heard from another user on facebook that he got scammed. Bill Charamut was posting as James Turpin and ripped this poor guy off too...

This guy is garbage.

that's worse

anyone in the usa could get there money back in 5 min/easy-
'hi usa bank- someone sent a personal transfer to an account in france get my money back'

they wouldn't even bother hearing your end of the story about selling music gear online

... and the french bank would refuse the cancellation. I'm french, bank transfers aren't cancellable here without the approval of the recipient account's holder.

The way to do trading over the internet is to only deal with people having a reputation. Dudes with no ebay sales or forum sales are to avoid at all costs. I have sold a few guitars on sevenstring.org and am present there since a long time, and have a 100% ebay rating selling and buying pretty expensive equipment. It took time, but your reputation on the internet is everything if you want to sell.

About Paypal, I only ship when the funds are cleared to my bank account. I never leave any money on the Paypal account itself.
When paying, I always pay via a bank card, it gives me the option to chargeback if Paypal wants to play it smart with me.

Back
Top Bottom