Scam websites selling Maine Coon cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive bought 2 sweet kittens, on line, i dont have either,. Yesterday, i was looking , asking questions, this one site was very appealing to me. So, they send me info on the kitten. Word for word, what the 1st scammer wrote me, i asked one question. What about the crate? Will i have to buy a special crate? I got no answer. So that was that. This kitten, like the ones before were not cheap. I guess if you steal a dollar, you might as well steal a hundred.

Our cat (she's bigger now, of course) also prefers a cardboard box to a dedicated bed, and her favorite toy is a q-tip. 🤣
That's cats for you alright.

I think if there's a lesson here its that you shouldn't buy animals online. Especially pedigree animals. Always go in person. Which will probably be a lot less stressful for the animal then some shipping company. Always go in person, google the seller and don't forget to check your local animal shelter.

I really really vote for local shelters and rescue agencies. There are so many cats just waiting for someone to take them home and out of there.

The only reason to buy a cat is if you really think you need a purebred of some kind, but then the real question is why???

I don't mean any disrespect to folks who have them (my daughter does, 1 of her 3, and our recently moved-away neighbors, both of theirs). But if you're looking for a new one, bred cats aren't "better" than "plain old" cats. The love comes out of the relationship and time together, not genes. I'm not much of a pure-bred myself.

In fact, unless you intend to participate in competitions, there's no reason whatsoever to buy pure bred animals at all. They tend to live much less and get sick more due to genetic defects as well. And those defects can't be "bred out" since they're only bred with other cats who are very similar genetically. We wanted "something that looks like a Persian" and that's what we got, but our cat is not pure bred.

That said, though, if you do intend to participate in competitions, an excellent quality male pure bred Maine Coon is a sight to behold. I once transported a kitten by air for a friend, and the "kitten" was like 10lbs already. Absolutely gorgeous animal. Expensive AF though, because of all the paperwork and no requirement to neuter. The guy is rich, so he saw what he wanted (in person) and paid what had to be paid. Not something I'd pay for though - I'm not a breeder, and it'd be a crime to castrate a specimen like this.

You don't have to have boxes of cat shit in your house anymore: https://www.litter-robot.com/. It works. You remove the bag like once a week, and that's all there is to it. We have an older version which we bought nearly a decade ago. Still going strong. When it craps out, we'll buy the new one. Also, when it's warmer, our cat knows to shit outside, and she can do so on her own, no need to pick up turds by hand.

I miss having cats. Unfortunately I don't miss them as much as I don't miss having boxes of cat shit in my house.

So, a dog it is...;)
I miss having a cat too. Haven't had one for 15 years. But normally, pre-beer virus (thank you, Chinese Winnie the Poo), I was away for most of the day. When you come home late at night and only want to relax for a couple of hours with online stuff, having a pet that needs care is probably not the best idea.

I wouldn’t be quite that categorical. People will just kill unwanted kittens then - nothing we can do about that. Some compensation is reasonable, especially if kittens received shots and the like. Just not kings ransom.

Adoption fee for an organization with its heart in the right place, sure. They have expenses, including some directly associated with your particular companion-to-be. But that really should be it.

Last edited:
I started this story , with being scammed on line, trying to buy a maine coon. I too have had many beautiful rescue cats. I too, donate to many animal causes. This time i thought ive always wanted a maine coon. Ive had my name on any pet finding list, i could find, for 5 years. Recently saw one or it looked like one. I mail immediately for it. , the same day it showed up. I never heard a word, except , no longer available. So, im looking at sites, one very popular site has cats, kittens from diff people, there was the kitty i wanted, 1800.00, maine coon, same pose, same name. No wonder all these years ive looked for one or a mix, i never heard anything. People are just waiting to grab them up. I think, they are notified before the public is, so they get them, with a big donation. Its been 5 years, i update it alot any age coon or mix wanted. So thats why i said, i might as well try and find one for sale. We have rescued 4 shih tzu. Best little dogs anyone could ever know. So weve rescued many pets. Loved them all.

Great looking cats. We found a breeder , who knew a breeder , who knew a breeder - that had a litter with kittens that were 9 weeks old. We will be picking it up May 16th. He’s orange. Polydactyl.
You are very lucky. This is the kitten, ive been trying to find all these years thru the rescue sites. Now im trying to buy one. 1st i was scammed out of alot of money, since then , i havent found a legit breeder. So you are very lucky. Hes gorgeous.

I miss having cats. Unfortunately I don't miss them as much as I don't miss having boxes of cat shit in my house.

So, a dog it is...;)

You don't have to have boxes of cat shit in your house anymore: https://www.litter-robot.com/. It works. You remove the bag like once a week, and that's all there is to it. We have an older version which we bought nearly a decade ago. Still going strong. When it craps out, we'll buy the new one. Also, when it's warmer, our cat knows to shit outside, and she can do so on her own, no need to pick up turds by hand.

I always hated cleaning cat litter and never trusteed letting cats outside due to safety and health reasons and decided I'd stick with dogs and never get a cat again. Then my wife came along with 3 cats and now 4. A couple years ago there was a thread about cats and someone mentioned the auto cleaning cat litter box but it was really expensive. Someone else recommend the cheaper alternative called the Omega Paw Roll'N Clean Cat Litter Box and for $35 it's the best invention since the Axe-Fx! ;)

Seriously though, you flip the thing upside down, bang on the top of it a couple times, flip it back over, remove the tray and dump the shit out! The only thing you have to watch out for is that no cat litter gets stuck in the groove around the perimeter where the bottom and top connect and make sure the latches on the sides are latched or else cat litter will spill out or worse the top comes off when flipping it. Maybe someday they'll release a MKII version with the groove on the top instead of the bottom, so cat litter can't get stuck in it.:)

Omega Paw Roll' N Clean Litterbox:
http://www.omegapaw.com/products/roll-clean-litter-box.html
https://www.chewy.com/omega-paw-rolln-clean-cat-litter-box/dp/47516

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom