Saying good buy and good ridance

I just reread the first post, and though it's heavily laced with personal opinion, which is completely ok honestly... What an uneducated selfish ignorant rant that was! I mean if he thinks a real amp sounds better, that's absolutely cool and alright. But to denounce every one else, who "can't hear the difference" because we are under the technological popularity trance that cliff, the new Steve jobs, has created with the iAxe-FX is completely rude, off-base and pompous. obviously he has tried everything to make it sound good (I'm sure) yet the axe just isn't capable of sounding good and or like an amp.

The forum WAS full of assholes, but with his departure, there is one less. He's probably reading all these responses, waiting for at least ONE person to agree with him, but if not he will most likely post something in here to make us believe his opinion is more correct.

Can't wait.

Maybe, maybe not. Let's see what others think. Rather than insult someone who couldn't get the unit to work for him, let's turn this into a fun game.

So... so far we have:

1st half = Axe: 1
2nd half = Axe: 0

2nd half is the axe, it seems more compressed which is pretty easy to get with the axe.
In any case.... Very identical!!! Great work!!!!

1st half = Axe: 2
2nd half = Axe: 1

There are no tricks here. One half IS the Axe and the other IS a JVM410H on the OD1 channel. The JVM is into a cab and SM57, the Axe is into an IR of the cab/mic.

I thought the Steve Jobs part was pretty funny. In a single sentence he insulted the late Steve Jobs (apple has been pushing AAC for a long time as an mp3 replacement... mr Jobs was not behind mp3), music in general (mp3 is not known for treating music well, quite the opposite) and the record industry (mp3 is pretty much their biggest enemy!).

So, given all that, the initial comment about Cliff must be sarcasm! I.e. an insulted there as well! Right? ;-)

Alas, I presume the really reason is just ignorance, so I guess it's just funny.

I actually preferred the first clip. Had no idea which was which. Is it ready yet? Are we there? :)

1st half = Axe: 2
2nd half = Axe: 1

There are no tricks here. One half IS the Axe and the other IS a JVM410H on the OD1 channel. The JVM is into a cab and SM57, the Axe is into an IR of the cab/mic.

fail1.jpg

I seriously cannot tell so let me flip the coin.... *flip*

I vote 1 for axe then

I don't own a II, I use the Ultra. Can I tell the difference between the Ultra and my old Triaxis / H&K EL34 combination? Yes, mostly in the attack. There is a quality in the attack of my old setup that is lacking from the models. But for live use, the Ultra has so many advantages including consistency, reliability, and versatility. Add to that the fact that it alone could replace my entire 12-space rack full of gear. I'll never go back to tube amps for live use. The Ultra is better than any other modeler I've tried, and is close enough to where the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

For home recording, I'm revisiting a tube setup using the Ultra for effects with the 4CM. I like the attack characteristics of the Triaxis/EL84 better than the Ultra, but I wouldn't use this setup live. I haven't tried the II, let alone with 6.0, and the models may or may not equal the tube rig in terms of my enjoyment, which is completely subjective. My recent use of the 4CM makes me hesitate when considering the II, for reasons posted elsewhere.

I don't agree that the forum is full of assholes. I don't even think the people who have written nasty things about me are assholes. They are defending Fractal against what they see as unwarranted questioning/criticism, and I'm sure they might be inclined to see me as an asshole. When two people are on completely different planets on an issue, completely unable to fathom the other's position, agreeing to disagree is not always an easy process. Briefly losing your temper doesn't make you an asshole.

Every forum has assholes, but it takes more than disagreement and a few harsh or poorly chosen words to qualify.

Edit: I could not confidently choose which is which in the clip.

Last edited:
For me, the only difference is the eq, and it is very subtle. All I'll say is that I slightly prefer the eq on the second clip. Assuming the "real amp" is "supposed" to sound better, my vote would be that the first clip is the Axe. But really, this is a toss up. In a mix, forget about it.

I hear just a little less hiss on the second half. Maybe. So I'll vote for 1. Amp, 2. Axe. But honestly, I could not actually hear a difference between the clips themselves that would make me vote either way.

On the OP post, I vote for this being the Stupid Post of The Year. Not to bash the OP's opinion about the Axe, because he IS entitled to his entitled opinion, but because it is simply so very low-life. In fact, it's kind of sad.

JVM 410H is the only tube amp I own. That said, while I can hear subtle differences between the two clips, I have no friggin' idea which is which, and would be just as happy hearing either tone emanate from my amp (and even happier if I could play like that).

I'll guess Axe was second.

I have no idea which is which. But since when that happens I invariably pick the axefx as the one I like slightly better, I say the second is the axefx. Although there are really, really close.

Back
Top Bottom