Saw the Winery Dogs last night

Never really listened to Richie Kotzen, does he really play all of that with no pick??

If so, that's damn impressive.

This and KXM are my favorite releases of this year. I can't stop digging them; it has been a long time since I found two bands I can not stop spinning just to dig the music.

Heck yes. Go see the Winery Dogs live if you can - saw them here in Atlanta and it was the most high-energy, crowd-responsive rock show I've seen in a while - that band->crowd->band energy feedback loop was definitely happening. Richie is an amazing player, but his live vocals are so good you almost forget about his guitar playing.

Billy is such a commanding presence. Any band he's in you can tell right away. There's no room for anything below 500Hz but him :)

Kotzens vocals seriously shine on this stuff.

This and KXM are my favorite releases of this year. I can't stop digging them; it has been a long time since I found two bands I can not stop spinning just to dig the music.

Scott - you need to check out Maragold, Greg Howe's new band... They are in the same category but with a bit more pop, and a female vocalist with killer pipes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok - I give... Going to iTunes to buy the album :)

For some reason I've been trying to resist, but I just watched 3 different videos and they reminded of what I have really enjoyed about Kotzen's playing and singing since the Shrapnel days (Electric Joy is one of my top 5 instrumental albums of all time!), as well as Sheehan since DLR.

And though I was never a DT fan, I really am starting to like Portnoy... Flying Colors is a great album, too.

Ok - I give... Going to iTunes to buy the album :)

For some reason I've been trying to resist, but I just watched 3 different videos and they reminded of what I have really enjoyed about Kotzen's playing and singing since the Shrapnel days (Electric Joy is one of my top 5 instrumental albums of all time!), as well as Sheehan since DLR.

And though I was never a DT fan, I really am starting to like Portnoy... Flying Colors is a great album, too.

Have always been a DT fan but I have always been a Richie Fan as well,way before all this awesomeness started.

Mike Portnoy is one of my favourite drummers.The things he is doing even after leaving DT are unique and interesting.

Digging it so far... Is it just me or does Ritchie sound like Coverdale back in the "Slide It In" and "Whitesnake" days?

Pretty impressed with how well and cleanly articulated some of his fast guitar runs are using only fingers and no pick :)

Last edited:
Damn! I had no idea Ritchie could sing like that. That's one seriously gifted dude. I know very little about him. They seem to have a great chemistry. I find the arrangements to be a bit boring, but only because I like complicated proggy type stuff. This is definitely music to be appreciated though

Digging it so far... Is it just me or does Richie sound like Coverdale back in the "Slide It In" and "Whitesnake" days?

Pretty impressed with how well and cleanly articulated some of his fast guitar runs are using only fingers and no pick :)

Yea he certainly has that Coverdale vibe and also Chris Cornell.

The guy is a guitar wizard. Have you heard his guitar solo on the track Ner Ner by Guthrie Govan?

Yea he certainly has that Coverdale vibe and also Chris Cornell.

The guy is a guitar wizard. Have you heard his guitar solo on the track Ner Ner by Guthrie Govan?

Yeah - I almost listed Cornell, too! Depends on the track :)

I did not know he played on that GG track, although I was aware he played on another track from that album (the country-ish one).

Edit: Rhode Island Shred is the track

Edit to the edit: turns out it's Ron Thal (Bumblefoot) that plays on Rhode Island Shred and Kotzen on Ner Ner.

Last edited:
Black Country Communion should have really tried to get Ritchie when it didn't work out with Joe. I think Ritchie and Glen's voices would have blended perfectly. And those chops...

Ah well. looks like we get two great bands instead.

Yeah - I almost listed Cornell, too! Depends on the track :)

I did not know he played on that GG track, although I was aware he played on another track from that album (the country-ish one).

Edit: Rhode Island Shred is the track

Edit to the edit: turns out it's Ron Thal (Bumblefoot) that plays on Rhode Island Shred and Kotzen on Ner Ner.

Yea Rhode Island Shred had Ron Thal on it.

The really beautiful melodic solo in the middle of Ner Ner is by Richie Kotzen.

The newish trio with Ritchie Kotzen, Billy Sheehan, and Mike Portnoy. They're an interesting mixture of over the top chops in a hard rock/pop song structure. Fantastic live band. Give their album a listen and definitely go see them live if you get a chance.

I bought the album a while back. While I love the playing of each of those guys and think they definitely have chemistry together. I got the vibe that they haven't really found their direction yet. The album seemed a bit scattered. With that being said I'm really looking forward to the next one. I predict it'll be a ball buster.

Back
Top Bottom