Saw Robben Ford last night!

sam

Experienced
I went to see Robben last night at our local jazz club Kuumbwa Jazz Center. I got to sit in the 5th row right in front of him and his Dumble. The club only has 6 or 7 rows and max capacity is 200 people, so it's a very intimate setting with great sound.

His Dumble clean channel sounded amazing. Thick and full bodied, but very clear and crisp at the same time. Sometimes you could hear the low end bouncing off of the stage because he had it just a little cranked up. That thing is loud by the way! I think I was hearing almost entirely direct amp sound because he was loud enough that they didn't really put him in the mains from what I could tell. Really nice to sit there and listen to his Dumble all night. First time I've heard one in person. I was not as much a fan of his drive channel sound, but he mostly stuck to the clean channel which was just fantastic.

He is such a fine player and he's so creative and inventive. He played an Epiphone that looked like a 335, and a Fender Tele. He has a great band for this tour as well. Really fine upright bassist, drummer and amazing organ player who was rocking a B3 with Leslie. They even strayed into some pop/jazz territory and it was just beautiful.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention the since he's such an iconic player with such an iconic amp and tone. Figured I should see him at some point, and I'm definitely glad that I did. I couldn't have had a better venue than the Kuumbwa. So lucky to live 10 minutes from that place!

heyy thx for this thread man, i never saw him live and your message just made me check his tour dates....next week oakland....i wont miss this :)

Reactions: sam
When he released the first Blue Line record I saw him in Montreal, Que for free! He is an amazing player and a super nice guy. I had a drink with him after the show and he chatted all about his career. It was wild!

You've got to see Robben live to really get him I think. I don't know why exactly, but his recorded sound never gets me the way his sound does live (except on bootlegs of him). His tone is so alive and expressive, one of the great sets of guitar tone ever for my taste. The combination of clarity and burn with his great chord voicings and always great bands is totally worth catching. I haven't seen him in a few years and would love to catch him soon.

I always make it a priority to see him if he plays near me.
I've seen him quite a few times, and he has always been absolutely fantastic.
IMO he is one of the absolutely finest guitar players of all time.

You've got to see Robben live to really get him I think. I don't know why exactly, but his recorded sound never gets me the way his sound does live (except on bootlegs of him). His tone is so alive and expressive, one of the great sets of guitar tone ever for my taste. The combination of clarity and burn with his great chord voicings and always great bands is totally worth catching. I haven't seen him in a few years and would love to catch him soon.

Totally!! I wish he'd come to the East Coast more often. I would see him all the time if I lived in CA.

I agree that he is such an amazing player and IMHO, severely overlooked by many. I've had the opportunity to see him once and I could hear that great tone all the way down the block (saw him at a blues festival). Couldn't see what his gear setup was, but whatever he was playing, it was definitely lively and full.

Wonder if we could get him to make the switch to an AFX?

He played an Epiphone

Good man
thumbsup.gif

Glad you enjoyed it sam
smile.gif

He is a die hard vintage tube and guitar nut. I don't think he would ever consider digital.

So am I, as well as many others on the forum here and we have embraced digital. I always said that I would NEVER use anything but tube amps and now I find myself plugging into the AFX nightly.

I know that he may never choose the digital route, but I'm curious what someone as creative and talented as he is, could come up with if he had time to play with it for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom