Saving the old firmware sound block by block...yes?

randombastage

Experienced
will this work...

You update the firmware and call up a preset and deselect the amp block then reselect it to cause it to reset to the new specs.
After listening to it you decide you like that preset before the update better. So you don't save the preset, instead you recall the un-reset version of the preset, then select Library from the drop down menu and save the amp block...for instance..."1987x Q1.06"...
Now you can go reset the 1987x amp block so your AxeFx is all up to date and yet, in any preset you choose to, you can select the Q1.06 saved block and that preset uses the 'vintage' firmware version...

Do I have that correct?

I didn't actually like it better but I'm curious if I finally understand the mechanics of the update/reset process And maybe some of you guys with magic ears will be able to make use of this if I do...

Last edited:
Nope. Presets do not run on old firmware until they are saved under the new firmware.
When you update firmware the entire "engine" is updated.

I thought there were parameters, both accessible by the user, and inaccessible ones, in that instance of the block that stayed set: as per the old firmware, and that was what necessitated a 'block reset' after an update.

in a lot of cases parameters under the hood get changed. so even if a parameter reads "1" before and after the update, the underlying number may have been adjusted. as soon as you update you will get the updated tone, no matter if certain parameters still show the same (old) value.

I thought there were parameters, both accessible by the user, and inaccessible ones, in that instance of the block that stayed set: as per the old firmware, and that was what necessitated a 'block reset' after an update.
Sure, both hidden parameters AND new engine (that affect the overall amp block).

Plus some settings are multipliers / ratios.

If the underlying calculation changes, then old values have a different affect on the tone.

Ahh I get it now. So if someone says they like the sound after the update but before the reset it isn't the same sound they had prior to the update, it is just some arbitrarily skewed rendition of the new algorithm.

Back
Top Bottom