Saving AxeFX-Presets with individual tracks with Garageband

sly

Hello Everybody -

Quick one for the guru's..

I have my AxeII setup via USB Midi to my Mac, works great no problems.

In Garageband, I use plug-in called Amplitude, and I can save a different Amplitude PreSet with each real guitar track, and don't have to touch amplitude again if I don't want to, and the sounds per track remain the same..

in other words, In Garageband with Amplitude, I can create a song with 3 guitar tracks, use 3 completely different amplitude presets, all the effects, EQ, etc.. and Garageband loads them up each time precisely where I left them.

Can I do the same type of thing with Axe-II presets, have specific tracks load up presets, custom or otherwise?

Thanks!

Sly

Not really with GarageBand, since it doesn't support sending MIDI to devices.

Would be a great capability but would likely take a small piece of plugin software in GarageBand that talked to the Axe.

Agree that is a very good feature when working with Amplitube (and the sounds are really good as well).

This idea comes up a lot. It's something I think can be created using Axe-Edit... but not until after Axe-Change is finished and live.

Last edited:
I use plug-in called Amplitude, and I can save a different Amplitude PreSet with each real guitar track, and don't have to touch amplitude again if I don't want to, and the sounds per track remain the same..

in other words, In Garageband with Amplitude, I can create a song with 3 guitar tracks, use 3 completely different amplitude presets, all the effects, EQ, etc.. and Garageband loads them up each time precisely where I left them.
You are really talking apples ('scuse the intended pun) and oranges here. What you have described is really a feature of VST/RTAS style plugins in DAW's. Works in same manner on PC with Reaper, Cubase and other DAW software. One can do exactly the same with the Reverb, Compression, Delay and other effects settings. One has a choice of loading up the default (factory provided) settings, or tweaking and saving your own. Each plugin stores settings with the track/project and when started up, reloads those settings.

IMHO - that is a completely different scenario than the question you asked. While M@ said it might be do-able with AxeEdit after AxeChange is completed, there are some logistical challenges that I forsee.. such as: - one saves the preset with the track. Open the DAW, load the track to the Axe edit buffer and off you go. Change preset on front of Axe and different preset is active.
IMHO - better approach might be to record dry track, re-amping to 2nd track in DAW and saving that. With dry track, re-amping options are enormous! Can even run it thru Amplitude :)

To me there are several issues involved. First, with 3 guitar tracks and 1 Axe, you can only load up one preset at a time. With a VST you can have as many separate virtual amps as you have CPU to run them. To do one preset at a time, you don't need a VST (though it would be great to have an AxeEdit VST), you just need to be able to save and play back one of 2 things with your DAW. If you're not going to tweak the patches between sessions, you could simply send a program change command at the beginning of a track to call up a preset. If you are going to tweak the patches, then you need to save and send the patch .syx file and you'll only be able to do one at a time. Sounds like Garage Band won't send midi externally, so you're screwed on either one of those options in GB, but almost any other DAW you use will.

Coming from Garage Band, Logic Express might be a good choice on a budget. Reaper also seems to be a good, popular and cheap choice.

Once you have the ability to save an individual patch to a library (Axe-change + Axe Edit?), I would copy that preset and paste ti to the folder for the song in question (maybe create a folder.. "axe-patches"?), and insert a notes VST on the track. Make a note about the patch used, done. I have done this with amps/pedals/etc before, including references to pics I take of the gear to note knob positions, mic positions, etc. (create new folder in the session folder, name it "session pics" and place pics in it). Some DAWquencers have a "track notes" feature (PT is one, base of faders in Mix view for one), others have session/project/song notes, and/or one could use a notes VST.

I do this. I save my preset(s) with the session files and a small text file that notes the guitars (and pickups, etc) used, firmware version, USB or whatever interface I used to get the tones in the DAW, etc.. Been doing that since back well before modelers.

I do this. I save my preset(s) with the session files and a small text file that notes the guitars (and pickups, etc) used, firmware version, USB or whatever interface I used to get the tones in the DAW, etc.. Been doing that since back well before modelers.

Ahh I'm not the only one.

Thanks - Organization is critical

Thanks for all the feedback, everybody.

It seems like such a basic organizational (and desirable) feature, I create a song in GB or Logic or Reaper or whatever, and the DAW saves all the preset information with the track, and/or then saves the preset as a custom preset on the modeler as a user defined preset. The DAW does all of the "housekeeping" and uses the local computer and AxeII just for storage purposes.

Amplitude w/ GB performs this basically, preserving all of my Cab/Pre/Effect settings and levels on a track by track basis, and I can save the overall sound for each independent track as a different custom preset in amplitude, It's great. Between GB and Amplitude, all of the housekeeping is managed. (It's a software only solution, any time you add HW, we add complexity..)

After reading the last couple posts, saving presets as external files, along with the DAW session files and a text file to notate specifics is a lot of overhead considering, but sounds like the only approach.

Thanks Again, very helpful data -

Sly

Back
Top Bottom