Wish Save Current Loop Upon Power-Down

Ugly Bunny

Power User
I think this would be fantastic for those of us using the looper block as a practice tool. I'm not asking for any sort of robust loop library, just more or less an option (or a default) to let the Axe keep the last used/recorded loop in memory.

This stems from two desires: Saving power & time. I'd like to turn off my Axe when I go to bed or work, but I'm also reluctant to re-record the last loop if it's somewhat ideal and/or long. I think it'd be cool to just turn the Axe on, go back to the looper and resume practicing.

I don't know what the mechanics behind this are, but again; I don't need to store tons of loops for recall, just make it so it doesn't delete the loop upon powering down.

Last edited:
It might be cool if Axe-Edit could save libraries of loops.

Absolutely, but it would require a transformation of Axe-Edit into an audio recording application, with all the pitfalls that go with that ...

Absolutely, but it would require a transformation of Axe-Edit into an audio recording application, with all the pitfalls that go with that ...
Dunno. The Axe-Fx already does the recording. Axe-Edit would just have to move files around, which it's pretty good at.

I think this would be fantastic for those of us using the looper block as a practice tool. I'm not asking for any sort of robust loop library, just more or less an option (or a default) to let the Axe keep the last used/recorded loop in memory.

This stems from two desires: Saving power & time. I'd like to turn off my Axe when I go to bed or work, but I'm also reluctant to re-record the last loop if it's somewhat ideal and/or long. I think it'd be cool to just turn the Axe on, go back to the looper and resume practicing.

I don't know what the mechanics behind this are, but again; I don't need to store tons of loops for recall, just make it so it doesn't delete the loop upon powering down.
Possibly this could be done with a manual save like a preset. The Axe Fx can't save Looper audio on power down because it doesn't know when you've powered down.

It's kind of like dieing. First you're alive and then you aren't, and at that point there isn't much you can do about the former ;)

Because the Looper audio is a "living" thing and (as far as I know it only exists in RAM) you would need to stop recording and trigger something to save it somewhere non-volatile, like a preset or IR... And that would require dedicated storage for that purpose.

+1

The Axe wasn’t designed to have the memory allocated to storing audio so how would that work ?

delete all user cabs and presets and then have enough for a very short clip ? Can’t see that being popular.....

there are dozens of very cheap pedal based loopers and many of those do have memory to record and save a number of loops, transfer to PC etc. Piece of cake to patch one into the loop and you’ve got a perfect solution for like $100

I don’t see how you could make the looper memory non volatile without a hardware change. It’s like saying it would be nice to have a SD card slot for storing presets, cabs, etc. Yeah that would be cool to just plug in a card on any unit and you’ve got all your stuff, but it would require a total hardware update so not much point hoping a wish would make it happen on the III

The Axe wasn’t designed to have the memory allocated to storing audio so how would that work ?

delete all user cabs and presets and then have enough for a very short clip ? Can’t see that being popular.....

there are dozens of very cheap pedal based loopers and many of those do have memory to record and save a number of loops, transfer to PC etc. Piece of cake to patch one into the loop and you’ve got a perfect solution for like $100

I don’t see how you could make the looper memory non volatile without a hardware change. It’s like saying it would be nice to have a SD card slot for storing presets, cabs, etc. Yeah that would be cool to just plug in a card on any unit and you’ve got all your stuff, but it would require a total hardware update so not much point hoping a wish would make it happen on the III
Yeah, I don’t think people want to have to buy a separate pedal, hence the wish. Seems like there would be enough room for the one loop, seeing as it saves it now temporarily? Don’t know.

Exactly; again, I'm not asking for a full suite of loop-saving features, just not delete the loop currently in memory. It's more or less the usefulness of the metronome; of course we can just take out our phones or hardware metronomes, but it's also quite handy to just reach over and turn up the one on the axe.

For the record, I also have a JamMan Stereo and a Trio+; I would just prefer to not have to incorporate external pedals into the rig for something as simple as practicing to a quick little loop - or at least to be able to remember my last loop.

Anyone know exactly how much memory even a full-length stereo loop would take up? I'd definitely sacrifice some IR space for that, though I really don't think that's the dichotomy we're up against :D

The Axe was designed with a finite amount of non-volatile memory, intended for the storage of operating firmware, user cabs etc. Things like a cab file or preset are pretty small

1 minute of 48kHz stereo audio takes around 16mb if I recall correctly.

If the Axe had like 10 extra MB of unused memory then we’d be able to hold tens of thousands of presets or user cabs, but Cliff has already said that there can only be so many due to space issues when people ask why they can’t have 10,000 user cabs installed, so I don’t see how if there isn’t room for those there would be room to save audio in the looper.

Yeah, I don’t think people want to have to buy a separate pedal, hence the wish. Seems like there would be enough room for the one loop, seeing as it saves it now temporarily? Don’t know.
It doesn't save, it's in memory. That is volatile and not saved... You would need "storage" to save.

It doesn't save, it's in memory. That is volatile and not saved... You would need "storage" to save.
Cool, take some of my user ir storage and turn it into looper storage....while your at it, take some more and turn it int a second looper block!:)
(Can you tell I like the factory cabs?)

Cool, take some of my user ir storage and turn it into looper storage....while your at it, take some more and turn it int a second looper block!:)
See the previous post by @lqdsnddist...

Also note that the storage has to be "pre-allocated" for a specific use as far as I know.

That means everyone has to give up that space... Not just those who want this feature.

So you get rid of all your user cabs and you’ve got the ability to “save” maybe a 5 second audio loop.... where is the usefulness there ?

I don’t get it though man.... if being able to save or recall a loop later is important to you, then why not add a proper tool that would have so many times the versatility, and that are readily available and cheap?

So you get rid of all your user cabs and you’ve got the ability to “save” maybe a 5 second audio loop.... where is the usefulness there ?

I don’t get it though man.... if being able to save or recall a loop later is important to you, then why not add a proper tool that would have so many times the versatility, and that are readily available and cheap?
Simple really, I’m just one of the user types that would love to be able to save a loop through a shut down, without having to bother with a separate piece of equipment. I don’t want or need all the extra stuff a dedicated looper has. Is 5 seconds enough? Probably not....15 would be better. As far as IR storage goes, like I mentioned above, I mostly use factory cabs. Do I have third party IRs? Sure, but I can usually find a factory IR that sounds just as good. Heck, if it was up to me, I would have them use all the current user IR space to make room for two looper blocks with savable loops, and get rid of half the factory cabs and use that space for user IRs. Hell, add a RTA performance tab and I think the III would be perfect, and Cliff could move on to scheming for the IV! :)

Back
Top Bottom