Save block changes without altering the scenes

In Axe-Edit,

Lets say I change a reverb in a block and hit save it also changes the scene if I have different blocks on or off. Is there a way to save the presets without having to pay attention to if I've played around with which blocks are on or off? I want the save to ONLY be for saving preset alterations and tweaks and not for scenes as well. Any help?

I hate this.
You need to understand the architecture, then it'll make sense. Read p. 9, then start on p. 43 in the manual.

A preset is the modeler's equivalent of a full amp rig with a pedal board and the pedals wired in whatever order you set up but that wiring is fixed for the duration while you use that preset. There can be up to 8 scenes stored in a preset.

The Scenes bundle the settings for each block; each scene remembers the currently active channels and bypass states for each block. In the analog world of the effects on a pedalboard, it'd be like having all your effect pedal settings and their bypass state stored in an 8-scene effect switcher with the wiring that you defined AND the ability to change effects to a different model of that type. So a Wah block will always be a wah, but it could be one of many brands or models, the same is true of almost every other block, with a couple exceptions.

Blocks, for the most part, have four channels, each of which is just the settings for the block, and the block's type.

Saving the entire preset saves the state of all scenes, which already contain all the block information. Being able to save an individual block's changes would require having separate setting files for every block in every scene in every preset, which would be unmanageable. That said though, we have the Block Library, which allows us to save a particular block for later reuse. That doesn't update or change the preset or scene, it's a separate mechanism which allows us to save the entire block, or just the current channel for reuse in any other presets simply by adding that effect block to the grid then selecting the saved block from the library.

It took a couple attempts to get my head wrapped around it because I bounced off several other brands' modelers, but once I did I like it much more. It's flexible and makes sense in light of it acting like a virtual pedal-board.

I hate this.

Wow, I love it! It's the only way I can imagine a system like this working. Otherwise, you'd need a million little different save buttons all over. Save the channel. Save the Block. Save the Scene. Save the Preset. All that saving would quickly drive me crazy. You'd possibly miss one, or save at the wrong "level". It would be quite the challenge, I think.

Instead, what you see is what you get is what you save.

Last edited:
Wow, I love it! It's the only way I can imagine a system like this working. Otherwise, you'd need a million little different save buttons all over. Save the channel. Save the Block. Save the Scene. Save the Preset. All that saving would quickly drive me crazy. You'd possibly miss one, or save at the wrong "level". It would be quite the challenge, I think.

+1 - currently, it's very intuitive - wysiwyg

In Axe-Edit,

Lets say I change a reverb in a block and hit save it also changes the scene if I have different blocks on or off. Is there a way to save the presets without having to pay attention to if I've played around with which blocks are on or off? I want the save to ONLY be for saving preset alterations and tweaks and not for scenes as well. Any help?
Save your new reverb or other block settings to the library?

Exactly this, would be a nightmare to hunt down and click all those pesky Save buttons.

What the OP is describing happens to me all the time. I'll be editing a preset, save it, and screw up the default scene because I didn't happen to be in the default scene when I saved.

It's not a huge problem, but I'd prefer if the default scene was selectable instead of being determined by whatever scene you happen to be in when you save. There's no need for additional save buttons. There would just be a choice in the scene menu to "make the current scene the default". That way you won't accidentally change the default scene when you save.

What the OP is describing happens to me all the time. I'll be editing a preset, save it, and screw up the default scene because I didn't happen to be in the default scene when I saved.

It's not a huge problem, but I'd prefer if the default scene was selectable instead of being determined by whatever scene you happen to be in when you save. There's no need for additional save buttons. There would just be a choice in the scene menu to "make the current scene the default". That way you won't accidentally change the default scene when you save.
This is my exact gripe!

just one for save preset and one for scenes. What’s the point of a scene manager button if I’m always accidentally overwriting

This is my exact gripe!

just one for save preset and one for scenes. What’s the point of a scene manager button if I’m always accidentally overwriting
True, but as you can see from the posts above, people misunderstood you and went off onto tangents about blocks, even though this has nothing to do with blocks. It might be a good idea to edit your post (and the thread title) to make your message clearer. For example a title of "Save preset without changing default scene" might be a better title.

True, but as you can see from the posts above, people misunderstood you and went off onto tangents about blocks, even though this has nothing to do with blocks. It might be a good idea to edit your post (and the thread title) to make your message clearer. For example a title of "Save preset without changing default scene" might be a better title.
I didn't think the OP is actually talking about the default scene number changing when the preset is saved. It sounds like they want to be able to adjust parameters and store the preset without altering the bypass states associated with each scene.

I didn't think the OP is actually talking about the default scene number changing when the preset is saved. It sounds like they want to be able to adjust parameters and store the preset without altering the bypass states associated with each scene.
There's definitely a language issue here, so it's hard to say. But when I paraphrased it to be about the default scene, he replied:
This is my exact gripe!

I'd prefer if the default scene was selectable instead of being determined by whatever scene you happen to be in when you save.
The default scene is selectable albeit globally. One feature the AX8 has that I used occasionally is the option to set the default scene per preset.

Page 47 in the manual:

"THE DEFAULT SCENE
...You can also select a fixed “Default Scene” under Setup: Global Settings: Config. This overrides the last-saved
scene and causes your selected scene to load first for all presets."

Sure, but the point is: if you’re not using the global option, it would preferable to not conflate saving a preset with selecting the default scene. Those are two distinct functions and shouldn’t interfere with each other.

Well... an option (Save preset [Default]/Save channels/Save scenes) could be useful!
Save preset save all, as now. Save channels save only the parameters of the channels (useful if you adjust say amp and cabs, don't want to mess scenes default or name); save scenes could be useful if you try different name, volume, status but don't want to retain any of the channels/blocks edit. Maybe axedit option?

Back
Top Bottom