Savatage tab books coming soon!

HI folks! My first post here, but I've been proudly playing Fractal for a couple years now. Anyway, I thought I should post about a project I've been working on that may interest some of my fellow guitar nerds. Since April, I've been transcribing Savatage songs with the goal of releasing a tab book.

UPDATE: The entire studio album discography is complete! Total of 140 songs.

Bonus songs: The Message, This Is Where You Should Be, Jesus Saves (Original Version), Stay, Forever After, Shotgun Innocence, Post Script, Voyage

I have been in contact with their drummer, Jeff Plate, and though they are all currently very busy with the upcoming TSO tour, he thinks it's a great idea and would like to see it happen. Hopefully early in the new year, we can figure out the best way to release the transcriptions. In the meantime, I have more Savatage cover videos planned, and I'm also brainstorming possible bundle ideas for the book(s).

Here's my Youtube channel, I have several Savatage videos on there: https://www.youtube.com/user/7strings89/videos Thanks!

Last edited:
Good to see some responses already! I'm thinking this will more than likely be a digital release. It would be difficult to print something like Morphine Child, which has up to 5 tracks going simultaneously. I'm hoping to talk to the guys in person when I see TSO in Philly in December. I actually brought a binder of Sava/Testament transcriptions to Alex Skolnick at one of his trio gigs a couple weeks ago, but he's going to be incredibly busy for a while, so he wasn't able to take them and inspect them. I can very confidently say that these are extremely accurate transcriptions, I've spent many, many hours on them, including studying live footage.

I really liked the early years, when both Oliva brothers were there. After that I lost interest... But some great tunes!
I get that, 1987-1991 is my favorite era. I gained a new appreciation for a lot of these songs after transcribing them. I've done something from every album, so there should be something for everybody.

Following here and subscribed on Youtube. Criss was badass!
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Sweet! I'll keep everyone updated in this thread as things move along. On that note, I just finished transcribing Tonight He Grins Again. In addition to all the guitar parts, I also did the piano and strings.
Any chance that these would be available on Guitar Pro for purchase too? I get a lot of use out of that program.

Awesome, I used to love this band and actually covered a few of their songs back in the day. I haven't listened to them in years but I'm inspired to rediscover them now. Looking forward to checking out your work on this. It's nice to get ahold of tab that is correct unlike most of the internet stuff floating around.

Any chance that these would be available on Guitar Pro for purchase too? I get a lot of use out of that program.
I transcribe in Guitar Pro 7, and I have all of the songs ready to go in GP6, GP7 (this version looks best), and PDF formats. I'd still love to release something in print, but that's not very practical for the complex multi-track songs. GP7 finally has a pick slide function, and Criss Oliva did a ton of those.

Awesome, I used to love this band and actually covered a few of their songs back in the day. I haven't listened to them in years but I'm inspired to rediscover them now. Looking forward to checking out your work on this. It's nice to get ahold of tab that is correct unlike most of the internet stuff floating around.
That's great! I'm still discovering new things in songs that I've been listening to for 10+ years. I think having accurate transcriptions is an important part of preserving Criss' legacy. What are your favorite songs/albums? Any songs missing from my list that you'd like to see?

Last edited:
Good to see some responses already! I'm thinking this will more than likely be a digital release. It would be difficult to print something like Morphine Child, which has up to 5 tracks going simultaneously. I'm hoping to talk to the guys in person when I see TSO in Philly in December. I actually brought a binder of Sava/Testament transcriptions to Alex Skolnick at one of his trio gigs a couple weeks ago, but he's going to be incredibly busy for a while, so he wasn't able to take them and inspect them. I can very confidently say that these are extremely transcriptions, I've spent many, many hours on them, including studying live footage.

I get that, 1987-1991 is my favorite era. I gained a new appreciation for a lot of these songs after transcribing them. I've done something from every album, so there should be something for everybody.

Thanks so much!

I would LOVE to get my hands on some Testament transcriptions - especially the first 4 albums and Trail of Tears from "Low" !

Sounds like a really cool project to do, and it's nice to see you doing it.

Savatage is an awesome band that brings back memories. I was mostly into the Sirens album and haven't followed the as closely after that, but my old drummer from the early to mid 80s was and still is a huge fan. I remember a gig we played for something like a Christmas party for his work when he was working at McDonald's back in those days. We did a variety of music in those days, and tried to play some hits and classic rock, and covered some of the more "acceptable" metal of the day, Ratt, Motley Crue, etc. We also played I Believe, off of Siren's. When we finished that one, the audience didn't know what to do. I mean, I think some of them were actually afraid and ready to run for the door. It was kinda funny, butt at the same time, I think we learned that we had to tone it down for some audiences just a bit.

I would LOVE to get my hands on some Testament transcriptions - especially the first 4 albums and Trail of Tears from "Low" !
I would like to transcribe some stuff from Low, that's one of my favorite Testament albums. So far, I've just done a few songs (For the Glory Of, Henchmen Ride, FEAR, and The Pale King) from the most recent records. I'd love to do an anthology type book for them, but I feel like I'd need the isolated guitar tracks for the early stuff. The production makes it difficult.
We also played I Believe, off of Siren's. When we finished that one, the audience didn't know what to do. I mean, I think some of them were actually afraid and ready to run for the door. It was kinda funny, butt at the same time, I think we learned that we had to tone it down for some audiences just a bit.
That's great, I can totally picture that happening.

Cool little story behind the Low Album tab book...

I was a HUGE fan of that album. The tab book showed up in the music store...bought it...no brainer. Like three weeks later Testament came to town with Forbidden. After the show I saw James Murphy, showed him the book...he scrolled through several pages checking it over and then autographed it right below where his signature was printed in the foreword explaining how he spent multiple nights tabbing everything out and sending it off.

I asked if he got swamped with them and he said it was the first time he saw it...with it being new and the tour just starting. *Insert teenage giddy-ness*.. so I ask if this was the first one he signed...he said yes... pants were freshly crapped after that.

I was a HUGE fan of that album. The tab book showed up in the music store...bought it...no brainer. Like three weeks later Testament came to town with Forbidden. After the show I saw James Murphy, showed him the book...he scrolled through several pages checking it over and then autographed it right below where his signature was printed in the foreword explaining how he spent multiple nights tabbing everything out and sending it off.
Wow, I didn't even know there was a book for Low. I hope it's better than the books for The New Order and Practice What You Preach, I found some samples for those and they're not encouraging...

I asked if he got swamped with them and he said it was the first time he saw it...with it being new and the tour just starting. *Insert teenage giddy-ness*.. so I ask if this was the first one he signed...he said yes... pants were freshly crapped after that.

That's a pretty awesome story..... I saw the book on amazon awhile ago - it was like $300 or something - not autographed... I hate when stuff goes out of print...

Back
Top Bottom