Savatage tab books coming soon!

Finished more songs since my previous post, bringing the total to 123. The only songs remaining are from Sirens, Dungeons, and Fight For the Rock. The Sirens and Dungeons songs will likely remain unfinished, due to the less-than-stellar production. The songs from Fight For the Rock are ones that I doubt anyone wants to learn. I have a couple people helping me to try to get this project in front of Jon Oliva. Hopefully I'll have more news on that soon and can finally get the transcriptions released.

Here's the full list of songs, I've also updated the OP:

Sirens: Sirens, Rage, Living For The Night
The Dungeons Are Calling: The Dungeons Are Calling, By The Grace Of The Witch, Visions, Midas Knight, City Beneath The Surface
Power Of The Night (full album)
Fight For The Rock: Fight For The Rock, Hyde, The Edge Of Midnight, She's Only Rock N' Roll, Red Light Paradise
Hall Of The Mountain King (full album)
Gutter Ballet (full album)
Streets (full album)
Edge Of Thorns (full album + Forever After and Shotgun Innocence)
Handful Of Rain (full album)
Ghost In The Ruins: Post Script
Dead Winter Dead (full album)
The Wake Of Magellan (full album)
Poets & Madmen (full album)

Did you ever offer this package up for sale?

UPDATE: I've finished transcribing the entire studio album discography! Total of 140 songs.

Bonus songs: The Message, This Is Where You Should Be, Jesus Saves (Original Version), Stay, Forever After, Shotgun Innocence, Post Script, Voyage

Also, a friend of Jon Oliva's has told Jon about my project and we're trying to figure out how to go about releasing the transcriptions. Something will happen eventually!

Last edited:
Here are my newest videos breaking down some classic Criss Oliva licks:

I also just finished transcribing the Doctor Butcher album, send me an email if you're interested!

Today marks 25 years since Criss Oliva was tragically killed by a drunk driver. With my transcriptions and videos, I'm trying to do my part in keeping his music alive.

I did an interview with a friend and he just posted it on his website: Link

We talked about Savatage, my Cynic project, transcribing, guitar stuff, etc. It was a lot of fun!

I've been going over my Savatage transcriptions again, and making some edits. Mostly little formatting things that probably no one will notice. However, I did discover something interesting yesterday. After watching some live videos of the Gutter Ballet title track, I determined that Criss played the song in D standard, not drop D as originally thought (the old Cherry Lane book has it in drop D). So I've updated my transcription and will be sending it to anyone who has gotten the tabs from me in the past. Of course, if anyone is new to this thread and would like more information about the project, please email me at maytropolees@comcast.net or countuscany@gmail.com

Another interesting wrinkle is that in the post-Criss era, the band did play this song in drop D.
The solo section (around 2:30) makes it clear that he's in D standard tuning:

This video was also helpful in adjusting the fingering for the part at 1:15:

It seems like the Gutter Ballet solo is standard (or Drop D, 6th string unused) on the album. End of solo is open g & b then dive g w/ bar after stopping the b note.

Back
Top Bottom