Saturday night with the AX8 -carrying case, sounds and the solo gig

Larry Mitchell

Power User
Hello Ax8 members,

I did a little video while getting ready to do my solo show. It was a show for my moms birthday so no band. Acoustic set first then electric set but with tracks. I used the looper the whole acoustic set. (Thank you Cliff) the only issues the whole night was I had to play for 3 hours. 3 hours of my music. I have to simulate at least 25 presets from my axe fx and some doubled for other songs. Ha. I got on stage and looked down and had many "hmmm which preset goes with this song, oh and what order are the scenes in?" :0)

And I used my normal method too. Bank 11 = 1st album. Bank 12 = 2nd album etc bank 17=7 th. Songs where in the order they where on the record but I kept forgetting that and then I had many blank spots. Lots of stuff going on. I had family there to support my mom and some of them have not come to see me play in 25-30 years and there was a surpringly good crowd. Some expecting a band but most seemed to enjoy the night.
Here's the video getting ready and deciding on the best way to travel with the AX8. It was a breeze loading in. I just used the house system all the way. I did bring 3 guitars. 2 electrics and one acoustic. That could have been easier if I just brought the one electric and the acoustic in my double gig bag and the AX8 in the laptop bag. :0)

Well I'm very glad to hear about the looper. I was hoping to be able to use the AX8 for just the same thing. What are you using to play your backing tracks?

The ultimate portable rig as far as I'm concerned. I am stoked to get the AX8 for this exact reason!! These video's make the wait almost unbearable!! Thanks for a great look at how portable it actually is!

Hi Brianb4, That night I used my iPhone. But I had a little Digitech jamman sol tx pedal that I really have to dive into for playing back Tracks.

Mlongano, thank you

And I should thank Cliff and Joe Rogers for the looper!!!

Thanks for the tips. I think I have a bag like that lying around. Had it for a big laptop waaay back, and I think it was expensive. Fingers crossed that it's the right size.

Hello Ax8 members,

I did a little video while getting ready to do my solo show. It was a show for my moms birthday so no band. Acoustic set first then electric set but with tracks. I used the looper the whole acoustic set. (Thank you Cliff) the only issues the whole night was I had to play for 3 hours. 3 hours of my music. I have to simulate at least 25 presets from my axe fx and some doubled for other songs. Ha. I got on stage and looked down and had many "hmmm which preset goes with this song, oh and what order are the scenes in?" :0)

And I used my normal method too. Bank 11 = 1st album. Bank 12 = 2nd album etc bank 17=7 th. Songs where in the order they where on the record but I kept forgetting that and then I had many blank spots. Lots of stuff going on. I had family there to support my mom and some of them have not come to see me play in 25-30 years and there was a surpringly good crowd. Some expecting a band but most seemed to enjoy the night.
Here's the video getting ready and deciding on the best way to travel with the AX8. It was a breeze loading in. I just used the house system all the way. I did bring 3 guitars. 2 electrics and one acoustic. That could have been easier if I just brought the one electric and the acoustic in my double gig bag and the AX8 in the laptop bag. :0)

Completely besides the point, but what is that pedal in the background? It looks vaguely familiar, but I can't place it.
-
Austin

Great demo on packing. Love the "had multiple choices just laying around the house" options, no "special case ordering" necessary.

Hi Larry, have you had a chance to use the AX8 via 4CM? Apologies if you've already mentioned this. Was curious what the results were compared to the FX8...

Thanks

Nice vid Larry, I'm scared to let go of my Axe II but the portability is just too appealing. I'm ready to pull the trigger. Since I hardly fly with my rig (maybe 1-2 times a year), I'm going to screw everything to a pedal board. You're making me think as small as I can though!

3 hours whoooo. Seems like forever! I did my first gig singing 3 hours last week and again this past weekend. I typically have a duo with another singer, but it was just me and a guitarist instead. I know many people gig 3 hours singing all the time, but for me it was huge to double the amount of songs and pace myself correctly!

Wish I had an AX8 for the gigs as well ;)

It's always good to hear from you, Larry, and wow what a completely portable AMAZING rig. Travelers dream!

Great video Larry!

Just being able to hear & see the AX8 played live like this is so awesome for me & probably all of us here! (aka Thanks). You taking the time to record all this & then share it w/ us is also fantastic.

Your opening tone was very pretty & spacious......What song is that from, or was that just you making some stuff up on the fly?

The live clip & 1st tone at the end (4:35 mark) was a STELLAR tone! A+++ man!

Very exciting times!

Peace! X-Mann

PS - Can you recommend one of your CD's for me to buy & check out? Is the Axe-Fx on any of your CD's as well?

FYI Larry: Monocase just came out with a gig bag that will hold a full size acoustic (I assume dread) and one electric. Pricey, but right now 20% off since the announcement yesterday.

Great video. It's causing me to rethink my FX8 setup, though with two expression pedals, a wireless and even the small footswitch for my amp, it's nice to have it all on a board with power to everything. If only the FX8 and AX8 included a 9v output to power the external devices... ;-)

And this is my greatest concern with using the AX8 live (and why I really really love the scribble strips on the Helix):

"I got on stage and looked down and had many "hmmm which preset goes with this song, oh and what order are the scenes in?" :0) "

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom