Satriani show

P

plexi59

Just came back from the show in Seattle. Note to others planning to attend: unless you're a fan of Vernon Reid, skip Living Colour. God damn the guy is horrible. The bass player (Doug Wimbish) is pretty great, the singer is OK, but god damnit, they should get a different guitar player. Which of course they can't because Vernon is the founder of the band. So just skip it.

And Joe's band was pretty awesome. Minnemann, Beller, Keneally - those guys would be worth the price of admission even if Joe got run over by a bus. Joe was great as usual. It always stuns me how these guys pull off such technically complex stuff without a single mistake. Joe's whammy bar addiction seems to have subsided, too, now he uses it only where it's appropriate. :)

Just came back from the show in Seattle. Note to others planning to attend: unless you're a fan of Vernon Reid, skip Living Colour. God damn the guy is horrible. The bass player (Doug Wimbish) is pretty great, the singer is OK, but god damnit, they should get a different guitar player. Which of course they can't because Vernon is the founder of the band. So just skip it.

And Joe's band was pretty awesome. Minnemann, Beller, Keneally - those guys would be worth the price of admission even if Joe got run over by a bus. Joe was great as usual. It always stuns me how these guys pull off such technically complex stuff without a single mistake. Joe's whammy bar addiction seems to have subsided, too, now he uses it only where it's appropriate. :)

I saw the show in Pittsburgh, and the Steve Morse band opened up for Satriani, and absolutely killed it. I thought Morse was on for the full tour, no?

Saw Satch and Morse here in TX. Morse volume was low and set too short, other than that, GREAT SHOW!
Joe's band was great except Bellar skipping Stu Hamms interplay part with Joe in Summer song.

Not gonna comment on Reid's playing from recent youtube video's.
It is what it is.

Saw Satch and Morse here in TX. Morse volume was low and set too short, other than that, GREAT SHOW!
Joe's band was great except Bellar skipping Stu Hamms interplay part with Joe in Summer song.

Not gonna comment on Reid's playing from recent youtube video's.
It is what it is.

Agreed on all points... same experience at the show here in Austin- Morse was excellent but not the best mix (Dave LaRue was bad ass). Satch and band were fantastic..

Finally, someone agree with me on Satriani! He's awful and I think it's high time for him to rest upon his laurels. That's why I'm not going to Chuck Berry's show lol the dude is 80 something

Finally, someone agree with me on Satriani! He's awful and I think it's high time for him to rest upon his laurels. That's why I'm not going to Chuck Berry's show lol the dude is 80 something

Was that sarcasm?

Hah! a Vernon hater, I mentioned something less hateful on a Vernon thread here a few mos back and was almost slaughtered, "hey he's on the top 100 guitarists of all time list, blah blah, " ya better duck and run for coverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Well, maybe he could play before, but during this show he was sorta decent from time to time, and then he would go into those long, structureless, poorly synchronized shred lines with shitty tone and no discernable melody. My bar for shred is set by Paul Gilbert, so if someone is gonna shred, I better hear each and every note.

I brought my son with me hoping to get him more motivated to practice, and I had to tell him to "not play like this guy, play like the next guy". :lol

Never really been a Vernon Reid fan because of the very reason you have posted "Long structureless, poorly synchronized shred lines" :lol Living color had a few catchy tunes when they first came out and were a really tight group but his soloing style never really changed much.

I saw Chickenfoot with the first album tour. I thought Satch sucked and I have always been a fan. I had to laugh at the OP because part of what I hated about him in that show was his guitar parts seemed to be just screeching noises. Maybe the aforementioned whammy addiction was part of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom