Sat switch... who uses it ?

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
Just curious how many people are using it..
I never really did much with it before and I was messing around with some higher gain amp blocks ( retctos, C+, HB and HBE, etc...) In my experimentation, it seems in the "ideal" setting, that the amps seem a little more lively and have a better fee l- and feels different from just raising the volume. I know its only a volume boost from the "authentic" setting... The authentic setting seems to lower the volume slightly. But just curious which setting people are using and why... :cool:

Mainly just on the amps that have it enabled by default like the Cameron’s.

Though I do like to turn it on with the Deliverance model as it’s typically a bit dry sounding for me.

The authentic setting seems to lower the volume slightly.
That's because the saturation switch on a real amp also lowers the volume. It's a quirk of the way saturation circuits work. The put diodes across the signal. That adds distortion, but it also lowers the signal level.

The Ideal setting makes up that lost level, which is why it's the only setting I use. If real amps could have an "Ideal" saturation setting, they'd be popular.

Good info !
Last night I went through all my presets and found that on most, the "ideal" setting definitely sounded and felt better to me.
I've had this thing for four years and still find out new things everyday !

I use it a lot. When going through a power amp, i turn i down a bit to compensate (i use an awesome mesa 2:ninety, but it's guite colourful, so i sag dow a bit). I usually have it around 2-3, but by mistake I recently had it at 10 (probably after an update) on my main preset, and i really liked it

I use it once in a while, but my feeling is that since it's just diode clipping it's probably not going to reflect the same kind of sound as the amp model would exhibit with a bit more gain. So I'd rather just use more gain in most cases.

Dialing in my AIC tones i'm going to start using it. i guess the JBE switch on a Friedman JJ head is the BE channel with the sat on, from what I read on RigTalk.

I use it once in a while, but my feeling is that since it's just diode clipping it's probably not going to reflect the same kind of sound as the amp model would exhibit with a bit more gain. So I'd rather just use more gain in most cases.

^^^^^^^^ This ... in spades.

I use it a lot. When going through a power amp, i turn i down a bit to compensate (i use an awesome mesa 2:ninety, but it's guite colourful, so i sag dow a bit). I usually have it around 2-3, but by mistake I recently had it at 10 (probably after an update) on my main preset, and i really liked it

I was messing with the Cameron CCV 2D model and noticed the saturation is on 10 for that model.

I noticed that model has a very grindy midrange, almost reminiscent of a boss HM2 type grind (although much more subtle). Turning the saturation down lost some of that. There are some very cool sounds in there, with it up very high.

I used to use it a lot more, now I prefer the Boost switch (or the Input Trim knob, which does the same thing).

Back
Top Bottom