Santana - according to GP article Oct '92

DonPetersen

Fractal Fanatic
I just found this GP article where Carlos sheds some light on his setup - it's so simple it's scary!

USA IIC-1 -> 1x12 Open

I put it together in AxeEdit, made a few quick tweaks and ended up with something very nice.
Keep in mind that this is a very quickly put together preset, but an excellent starting point.
It's definitely older style Santana (which I prefer), not the über-smooth Supernatural stuff.

Attachments

• Santana GP interview.syx
    2 KB · Views: 177
No way, Don can visit us all he wants. What are you, the Fractal Gustapo or something?!?! Back to the Axe II forums with you! :p

I think volume is super important to Carlos, as he has always played with the acoustic interaction of his guitar and amp, right up to his trademark soaring feedback sustained notes that just hook you.

I think volume is super important to Carlos, as he has always played with the acoustic interaction of his guitar and amp, right up to his trademark soaring feedback sustained notes that just hook you.

an excellent point and I could't agree more.
I get good feedback with this patch over studio monitors.
Next week I'll upgrade to Adams - this will be sweet! :)

Thanks Don. I'm going to have to try your patch.

If you want to replicate Carlos' more recent tones you'll need to add a Dumble to the mix. Here's a write-up from his web page, fyi . . .

"Carlos has traditionally used the Boogie Mark 1 originally purchased in 1973. Since then, it has taken Carlos almost 30 years to find another amp that compliments his unique sound. These days, Carlos combines the Boogie and the Dumble's to get his unique sound. The Mark 1 runs through the 12' Boogie cabinet and the Dumble's run through the 4x12 slant and straight cabinets."

Terry.

Hopefully those with AXE II will still figure a way to visit and share with those who "only" have an Ultra/standard. I'm sure not all discoveries made by all y'all will be limited to the Flagship.
O

Don, obviously I didn't intend any offence and was trying in my feverish state (yes I was at 102.5F at the time of posting) to make a joke. So its ok for Seinfeld but the rest of us... gawd but the world has to lighten up. Sir, I take offence to you taking offence <---sarcasm

Now can we please focus back onto Mr. Santana and the magical sounds?!?

Back
Top Bottom