Sanding neck on Fool guitar

sandmannn69

Experienced
I have a version of Clapton's "The Fool" SG and I'm thinking about sanding the paint off the back of the neck to improve the playability. It's a pretty heavy, textured finish, since it was hand-painted with oil-based enamels, like the original. Clapton did this to his original SG after the paint on the neck started flaking off from playing.

Either that, or leaving it as is and buying a regular SG. It hangs on the wall most of the time as a collector piece (paid about $700 for it years ago), but it's a great sounding guitar with a nice fat, rounded neck profile, and I'd definitely play it more if the neck was smoother.....What would you do?

(Please ignore if you have replied to my similar thread on TGP...Or not.)

fool.jpg

I'd probably talk to a shop and see about having some clear finish shot over the back of the neck, and maybe even over the entire guitar. They'll buff it so it's nice and smooth, and it should help protect the artwork. It's not really a collector's piece if the current finish starts flaking off from playing so protect it.

That's something unique. IMO, I'd leave it as it is. If you're wanting a different feel for the neck, get another SG that has feel you're looking for.
No, I like the neck profile which is hard to find on a good SG these days (everything is that "slim taper" profile). Just wish it was smoother, which is why I am considering removing the paint, which is enamel/not smooth.

Depends how hard the finish is. If it is soft at all you are not going to be able to do anything much with it.

I thought about having an old SG painted like that, something that only a Clapton/Cream fan would do. These days, the artists charge as much as a new guitar to do the paint alone. I’d just get a new one. Is it ever a bad thing to get a new guitar?

I thought about having an old SG painted like that, something that only a Clapton/Cream fan would do. These days, the artists charge as much as a new guitar to do the paint alone. I’d just get a new one. Is it ever a bad thing to get a new guitar?
It's not a real SG.

I’m missing your point. If getting a real SG is an option, I suggest he do that. The paint job is over $1500 alone, last I checked.
I mean not playing it and hanging it on the wall is the best thing, it is a Chibson or something similar anyway.

Back
Top Bottom