Sample patch

Andy Eagle

Fractal Fanatic
You guys selling patches should include one free patch free to download here and then a video of you playing through this one and then the others.
This would allow people to see it their playback method is compatible. A control if you like. I prefer to make my own but many like to buy them and this would be a kind of guarantee.

No - in my humble opinion is that if the sample doesn’t suit your tastes, you won’t buy. Let’s look at Austinbuddys presets for example. Let’s say you love fender amps and the way they can do cleans....and let’s say austinbuddy decides to take your lead, and offer a couple of free presets - a Marshall plexi, and a Mesa Hoping it will motivate people to buy. You download them, try them, and think to yourself, ‘nothin like the fenders i love’ and dont buy them.
Or.... you download the free presets, and don’t buy the Paid ones.
i don’t know what business you are in, but I must ask - do you give free samples in the hope that someone will pay money for more in your business?
thanks
pauly

Pretending you offer a great product that fails to deliver is a sure failure once you've duped a few people once.
The model of try before you buy is common particularly with great products.
You miss my point anyway. The presets demonstrated in the video should be as they will sound on your rig .The recording process, the player ,the guitar and the environment will all conspire to make this not true. Buying blind presets on the off chance they will work for you without even a sample is just a lottery .

aside from the fact that ,for me at least (as I can afford it), it makes me feel good to support the ecosystem of friends and fellow Fractal fanatics who make this an interesting and fulfilling place to hang by creating stuff both shared and sold...it has been my experience that in the case of the 3 major players here (lets not beat around the bush ..they are @austinbuddy , @fremen , @Moke )
have reputations around these parts of such impeccable goodness that free single samples dont illustrate the huge breadth and variety of their preset packs and may actually be counterproductive (as @pauly intimated above). I defy the OP to find any negative feedback on the stuff that those guys do, and in fact, all of them do have free stuff and demo videos spread all over the Interwebs..do a search on
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/ and check their respective websites ...
There are also many other cats here who do more of a stealth/bait sell, by posting
videos of themselves (usually with great chops) and then pointing to a paid website when asked for a preset or sample...
and of course the Leon Todd @2112 model, where he just keeps giving stuff away, both literally and conceptually.....and becomes some kinda YouTube legend....
all of these approaches are valid.
the only one who will miss out is you If you limit your participation....

Last edited:
do you give free samples in the hope that someone will pay money for more in your business?
Well, let's see. Most grocery store give free samples. Most car lots offer free test drives. A lot of software provide free trials. I can test phones in any cell phone B&M. Most houses have walk throughs or open houses. Home depot and Lowe's offer free paint samples. Ice cream shops offer tasting samples. As do wine stores. Flooring companies give carpet and hardwood samples. I could go on, but you see what I'm getting at. That's not to say they should, but pointing out the the flaw in your logic. A lot of places offer free samples or trials to entice customers.

That said, we have a great community and a lot of wonderfully talented guys who provide awesome presets and patches. Kudos to them and thank you!

yeah - but besides that
;)
thanks
pauly

Well, let's see. Most grocery store give free samples. Most car lots offer free test drives. A lot of software provide free trials. I can test phones in any cell phone B&M. Most houses have walk throughs or open houses. Home depot and Lowe's offer free paint samples. Ice cream shops offer tasting samples. As do wine stores. Flooring companies give carpet and hardwood samples. I could go on, but you see what I'm getting at. That's not to say they should, but pointing out the the flaw in your logic. A lot of places offer free samples or trials to entice customers.

That said, we have a great community and a lot of wonderfully talented guys who provide awesome presets and patches. Kudos to them and thank you!

All the people selling preset packs have given considerable amounts of time and effort to this community. If you want samples of their work, they’re readily available in axechange and on the forum. The only impediment to finding samples is you.

i have bought lot of presets and some are good some are very bad,if you can afford to buy the Axe 3 i think you can afford to buy presets,i had find free presets from some preset sellers,do a research on the Facebook or contact them if they can send you a free preset.

If you’ve ever downloaded patches off the exchange, especially ones that you’ve seen or heard recordings of, that should give you a good approximation of how well patches transfer. But even when in most cases some adjustments will need to be made to the tone & gain to be right for your rig, the effects do transfer well. And in a lot of cases I believe there’s people out there that either don’t care enough to be bothered to have to hunt down every effect type & setting and/or those that haven’t developed the ear yet to be able to pick apart everything that they are hearing, and it’s just a hell of a lot easier to just buy a patch from a trusted name with a good reputation knowing that for that particular song or artist you have just bought their rig already pre-wired with the effects set to “X” song.
I think if you are expecting a patch you buy to sound identical thru your rig, but you’re using a different guitar, different pickups at a different height, through different speakers in a different room at a different volume level, nine times out of ten you’re going to be disappointed.

The ear you need to adjust the patch is the same level as one that is needed to build your own . The main issue is if patches aren't built on a true flat response system with a control they will not ever sound right on anyone else's rig (ie the same). Until there is a reference or control method that can be applied to all systems to tune the global eq to flat (in your environment .) Buying patches is pointless or at best a lottery . Hence the need for free samples .

Back
Top Bottom