Sample patch

The ear you need to adjust the patch is the same level as one that is needed to build your own . The main issue is if patches aren't built on a true flat response system with a control they will not ever sound right on anyone else's rig (ie the same). Until there is a reference or control method that can be applied to all systems to tune the global eq to flat (in your environment .) Buying patches is pointless or at best a lottery . Hence the need for free samples .

Adjusting a preset and building one completely from the ground up are vastly different.

Anyone who is that sensitive to potential differences in what is heard from a sound sample vs. what is heard on their system will likely never be 100% happy with presets created by other people. Heck, if they're even looking at user created presets then they're not 100% happy with their own either. A free sample also isn't going to cover the range of what you're getting when you purchase a pack that contains, in some cases, dozens of presets.

I'd argue that user created packs simply aren't for you. And that's perfectly okay. Nobody is forcing you to take a gamble and buy them. I also don't think any of the guys in the community offering them make their living doing so. So there's no real reason to give away their work in the hopes that it will generate more sales (funny business model, really). There's audio/video samples provided. If you like what you hear and can accept that there's going to be some level of variance, cool. Buy it. If that's not a gamble you're willing to take, don't.

FWIW...I'm pretty sure at least one of the gents that creates presets for sale makes his living that way...

The ear you need to adjust the patch is the same level as one that is needed to build your own . The main issue is if patches aren't built on a true flat response system with a control they will not ever sound right on anyone else's rig (ie the same). Until there is a reference or control method that can be applied to all systems to tune the global eq to flat (in your environment .) Buying patches is pointless or at best a lottery . Hence the need for free samples .
When you build your preset packs I’ll look forward to trying those free, sample patches you’ll be giving away!

The simple truth is a great sounding clip accompanying a free sample patch that sounds representative of the clip would be a great marketing strategy that is used throughout the business world in other areas with great success . Free samples build confidence in the brand .
Too many of the clips I hear (particularly so-called eq matched) are just awful and would get you no nearer to the goal of producing the sounds you hear on favourite recordings or in your head. I won't be selling any patches ever but have no objection to giving some away, but even this would require you use the same rig and play in a similar way. The whole concept of these being seen as "products" is ridicules to me as long as no control method is employed so that you even hear the intended sounds the way they were made. Obviously many people are happy with the results and that is up to them.

How about we make the "Preset Exchange" just that, a place where people can upload their work for other to try instead of an advertising space for products some good some terrible? Make a new folder for commercial advertisements and mark it that (and charge for the advertising space).
I think that until a control method is established and adopted presets for sale is a very dubious product at best and a total waist of money for a lot of people.

How about we make the "Preset Exchange" just that, a place where people can upload their work for other to try instead of an advertising space for products some good some terrible?
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/forums/axe-fx-iii-preset-exchange.104/

Make a new folder for commercial advertisements and mark it that (and charge for the advertising space).
I think that until a control method is established and adopted presets for sale is a very dubious product at best and a total waist of money for a lot of people.
You’ve beat this horse to death. Everyone knows where you stand. Give it a rest. No one is making you buy presets. If you don’t like the way it’s done, don’t participate. Vote with your wallet.

Back
Top Bottom