Same problems, again, all at once

edo

Power User
Vendor
I just finished a gig, after a few gigs without problems, tonight the same old issues I've had before switching from cat5 to midi occurred, it's getting frustrated.
On a song I got the timeout message on the mfc and no sound, had to restart the axe. Then on another song the volume was twice than normal as if I had to parallel rows summing at output. And finally on another preset the axe screen went blank and no sound.
This is getting frustrating, tomorrow I have another big gig on a festival in Belgium, and I just can't enjoy performing if I have to spend the gig hoping that the axe gets through the tune... There must be a fix, please, help me figure it out.
Btw I'm running fw 3.02 on an axe 2 mk2 and latest fw on the mfc101mk3.

Your problem reminds to me of very similar problems I had, several years ago, with an old Digitech ValveFx...the technician found that I had an EPROM burned, replaced it, and I had no problems...but honestly I don't know if the technology of the Valve Fx is remotely paragonable to the one of the Axe, that's a completely different thing.

Replace old cat5 with the new cable,but by good quality!

I've already switched from cat5 (a good one with neutrik plugs) to midi (also a good one with neutrik plugs). I though switching from cat5 to midi was the fix, but last night it was a nightmare more so than ever

I understand your frustration, did you get in touch with FAS support ? For future firmwares, FAS should implement a kind of "logging mode" option on the firmware so they could collect some unit information/logs during the crashes.

Last edited:
Definetly, there's something about the lastests firmwares and the mk II's. First issues occurred to me early february when Q 2 was released.Before that never happened...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this Edo. Do you have a second backup unit? If so, does it do the same thing?

I just finished a gig, after a few gigs without problems, tonight the same old issues I've had before switching from cat5 to midi occurred, it's getting frustrated.
On a song I got the timeout message on the mfc and no sound, had to restart the axe. Then on another song the volume was twice than normal as if I had to parallel rows summing at output. And finally on another preset the axe screen went blank and no sound.
This is getting frustrating, tomorrow I have another big gig on a festival in Belgium, and I just can't enjoy performing if I have to spend the gig hoping that the axe gets through the tune... There must be a fix, please, help me figure it out.
Btw I'm running fw 3.02 on an axe 2 mk2 and latest fw on the mfc101mk3.

How long is your 7-pin midi cable?
Under certain circumstances and in certain locales 7-pin cables that are longer than 10ft can give problems with the MFC's power supply's ability to fully boot up the MFC and to stay booted up.
What you'll see if this is happening is all the MFC's leds lit up solid at the same time with no communication at all between the Axe and the MFC.
What country are you in?
In some locales the line current will be less than officially stated which can cause the MFC's power supply and 7-pin connection to fail.
Connection methods that don't use the MFC's power supply (i.e. its wall wart) won't suffer if the current is low though. (see below)
Fractal actually has a fix for MFC units that exhibit this problem that involves swapping out one of the MFC's circuit boards making the MFC's boot up routine more reliable when using longer 7-pin cables or in locales with lower than expected current.
They may even do it for free.
If this is what's happening to you then you should contact Fractal Support asap.

The most reliable way to connect the MFC is via FasLink.
Second most reliable is CAT5, but finding a CAT5 cable that will work every time can be an issue, especially if our Axe is a MKI (or MKII?).
The earlier Axe's have a strange design to the Ethernet port in that the female Ethernet jack is recessed a couple of millmetres into the Axe's chassis.
Most CAT5 cables have a little length of plastic (or rubber) surrounding the cable's male jack which can interfere with being able to insert the jack all the way into the port on the Axe causing a bad or unreliable connection.
Sometimes a bad or lost connection at the port can be fixed by merely jiggling the jack in the port.
Some CAT5 cables can be improved for usage with an early Axe by taking an Exacto knife and trimming away some of this surrounding material on the cable's jack.

Hope some of this is helpful.
But your issues about the Axe's lcd screen going wonky appear to not be related to any of this, so you may have a totally different issue or set of issues.

I'm not using a 7pin midi, using just a regular 5pin midi and powering the mfc from the back. I'm in Italy, but I play around Europe and the problems are completely random and unpredictable. Also, if you read the op, there are 3 different issues:
1) timeout error - no sound
2) blank screen - no sound
3) doubling/summing audio - twice the volume and chorusing

I'm not using a 7pin midi, using just a regular 5pin midi and powering the mfc from the back. I'm in Italy, but I play around Europe and the problems are completely random and unpredictable. Also, if you read the op, there are 3 different issues:
1) timeout error - no sound
2) blank screen - no sound
3) doubling/summing audio - twice the volume and chorusing

Sorry to intrude on your thread then.
With PSU plugged directly into the MFC along with a 5-pin midi cable, none of the issues I talked about are relevant.
Hope you work it all out.

I should add that last night I played a gig in Belgium and it all worked flawlessly, so again, unpredictable and random behavior driving me nuts!!

I just had the timeout happen to me. Suddenly the MCF did not react, and then after some minuttes i got the time out message in the MFC. rebootet the AXE FX and no more issues that night.
I have my MFC connected with a Ethercon cabel. I understand your frustration, this must be realiable on gig nights.

I'm Also in song mode 5 scenes + IA switches. Now for the first time running Q3.03 from Q1.x?

AXE FX is MKI

I have had this appear again recently. I don't use song mode. I use XLR (Faslink) between Axe XL and MFC101 mk3.

Here's an idea:
Midi controller > Midi interface > Computer > USB > Axe FX :)
orr..... em... Maybe it's a firmware issue?
Try installing older firmware.

Here's an idea:
Midi controller > Midi interface > Computer > USB > Axe FX :)
orr..... em... Maybe it's a firmware issue?
Try installing older firmware.

It's happened to me since March (since I started using the mfc) - whichever the latest fw was at the time. However, before then i only used the axe for 1 preset (amp sim only) so I'm not sure if it depends on the controller or on the axe preset switching

Hmmmm it would really suit Cliff/Fractal to comment here... I'm done with Axe if this continues since it must be reliable in gig situations for me, no matter how good it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom