Sag vs. No Sag? And other amp compression parameters...

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
When switching from my AF2 to the AF3, I noticed a difference in string immediacy, feel, and punch, particularly with clean amps, even after tone matching (HiPower) from the 2 on the 3 (played through FRFR e.g. Atomic reactor).

I think I have recovered string immediacy and punch by turning Sag down to 0.01 (lowest setting before turning off the power amp section). I can feel more string attack/punch come through, particularly on notes on low E/A. I also tend to turn down the three speaker compression parameters (drive, compression, compliance). Turning transformer match down a little too can open up the feel as well for overdriven amps. Sometimes I'll turn the cathode follower on (10-25%) for amps that don't normally have it, although that can also seem to muddle clean tones.

On the other hand, these "in amp compression" settings do add a tonal dynamic richness especially for overdriven amps that can sound amazing as well. So for me it seems to be a trade-off between immediacy/clarity and complexity, or something like that.

Wondering if others have played with Sag or other parameters and if you've had similar or different experiences.

You might also rise preamp hardness and poweramp hardness. Maybe turning up the dynamics knob is something for you as well.
Rising negative feedback and lowering damping is also worth a try.

I prefer dynamics and poweramp hardness and leave sag where it is, because I think it belongs to the typical sound...but there's many ways to skin a cat.

With the extreme luxury of the AFIII amp list I go the other way. We have SO MANY amp choices, I look for the amp that has the feel I want and then I adjust the gain and tone; It's easier to change the tone than the feel effectively IME.

This actually keeps me out of the deep parameters I don't entirely understand and don't want to spend long fidgeting with and figuring out.

I prefer dynamics and poweramp hardness and leave sag where it is, because I think it belongs to the typical sound...but there's many ways to skin a cat.

Yeah, I normally like the tone with default sag settings, it's just the feel of the strings being compressed that feels a bit remote. I haven't yet played with input dynamics though...

Back
Top Bottom