Saffire Pro 40 Audio Interface with Axe FX 3?

J-C

Inspired
My computer audio interface is a Saffire Pro 40 connected to the computer via a firewire cable/firewire card.

Will this be a good way to connect the AXE FX 3 to my computer/audio interface (SPDIF) for any DAW work, etc? Please excuse my ignorance.

Or should I just sell the saffire?

Pretty hard to say without understanding what your recording needs are. What sources do you typically record aside from your guitar? How many concurrently? I believe the AxeFx is locked in at 48K/24bit resolution for audio so if you need to process anything beyond that you'll need hardware that can handle that. I've no clue what the specs are for your current interface so I'm not sure how it compares. I always find a dedicated recording interface to be the best route and just integrate with the Axe as appropriate. I do use UA stuff and its necessary to use their hardware to run their plugins so I'm locked in. If you aren't in such a situation though just the Axe might be all you'll ever need.

This forum has quite a few other threads with similar conversations so take a read around. Good luck!

Reactions: J-C
I'm a complete newb at recording and hooking things up - In fact you seem to be speaking an alien language to me. I think the axe may be all I need. Wait and see. For now I just want to make recordings with lick library backing tracks using a Reaper DAW - just goof off, experiment, and have fun with it.

I have an Axe III and a Safire 40. If you need the $$$, sell the Safire. You don’t need it. The Axe provides a world class audio interface with like 8 ins and outs or something. Way, way more than you need for mucking around at home.

If you don’t need to sell, keep the Safire as it is a good unit and useful to have around. I love mine. I prefer to run the Axe through it using SPDIF as it can be more convenient for some things and you don’t need to turn the Axe on if you just want to watch movies / listen to music / play games or whatever.

But be aware Axe SPDIF to the Safire doesn’t work. Didn’t work when I had the AX8 either. Safire sucks a bit with SPDIF compatibility. But all you need to do is buy a $20 SPDIF to Optical converter on eBay and plug in to the Safire using Optical. Sounds glorious.

Or just use XLR. But in my experience ( and others I have read) the Safire tends to color the sound because you can’t completely defeat its preamps. Plugging in to the Safire using 1/4” sounds a bit better as at least it is not going through the mic preamp (just some other line level preamp).

Last edited:
What you use to monitor the Axe with will either greatly enhance or significantly diminish your listening experience. Don't forget to research that aspect (plenty of info here on forum about this subject) if you haven't already.

If you decide that the saffire isn't needed, sell it and put the cash toward a good monitoring solution.

I have a pair of Adam A7X's. They are a few years old but they should compliment the Axe Fx 3, right?!

Hi
i'm using the AFX3 with SPDIF connection to my moru 828es and I found the SPDIF a really robust way to connect to an interface (sold my previous one to be able to connect SPDIF).
You have the exact same sound as the USB connection with AFX3 direct to computer, but you can do many other things with the interface, depending on your needs.
That being said, I used the AFX3 as my unique interface too, and it worked great too with reaper, vsti, I7 8700k,, about less than 4 ms RTL, so no latency issue for me.

Having the ability to hook the AFX3 to an external interface with SPDIF (or AES), allows you to have a unity gain (0 dbfs) from the AFX3 (roughly the same as having the level OUT 1 knob to 3 O'clock, but with the flexibility to manage the volume level for monitoring or headphones.

That is great news about the Adam Monitors! I ordered a set of stands with adjustable height so I can get them more to my ear level - they are currently hogging up the space on the desk.

I also just ordered a set of Mogami CorePlus Microphone Cables ( XLR female to XLR male) to connect the Adam monitors to the Axe FX. They should do just fine.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind is that The Axe-FX has no mic preamps whereas the Saffire does.
He could always buy a seperate mic preamp if he needs it and use it through the axe. If he desires to go beyond 48k he could get a sample converter too.

If you can't defeat the pres as stated on an otherwise entry level interface, I'd say go digital into the interface. It'll free up additional analog ins as well.

I also have that interface, and connect the Axe Fx III to it via SPDIF. Works well.
I was wondering. What's the benefit of using an audio interface as opposed to just using your AXE-FX III straight into your computer? I'm a home recording guitar player. Am I missing something?

I was wondering. What's the benefit of using an audio interface as opposed to just using your AXE-FX III straight into your computer? I'm a home recording guitar player. Am I missing something?

The AxeFX is an audio interface for stand alone use or integration into a studio environment. However it was essentially designed for use with guitars.

Other interfaces are designed for various uses such as recording vocals, so necessary pre amps are built in (which the AxeFX doesn't have).

The good news is, interfaces can be joined together to 'expand' the capabilities of a studio, including adding extra I/O's.

Last edited:
Thanks
The AxeFX is an audio interface for stand alone use or integration into a studio environment. However it was essentially designed for use with guitars.

Other interfaces are designed for various uses such as recording vocals, so necessary pre amps are built in (which the AxeFX doesn't have).

The good news is, interfaces can be joined together to 'expand' the capabilities of a studio, including adding extra I/O's.
Thanks friend.

Well keep the Safire for vocals unless you can make some bread and buy a cheap Mbox mini

Otherwise, if you dont sing, just keep the axe fix iii, its the best interface I’ve ever seen honestly. So many options

Back
Top Bottom