Safe To Use Power Conditioner As A "Master" Power Switch?

EVHalen

Inspired
I have a Furman M-8Dx power conditioner that just arrived yesterday and I was curious if there is any hazard in using that as a master power switch for my whole rack. In other words, the power switch on my Axe II would remain "on" all the time, along with all my other rack units plugged into the power conditioner. Then I would just turn the power conditioner on or off, and the entire rack would power on or off.

I'm pretty new to rack systems, so I'm not sure if this is already considered a common-sense norm. I wouldn't normally ask such a stupid-sounding question, but when it comes to a high-end piece of $2,200 equipment, I don't want to take any chances. Thanks in advance for any help guys!

I have a Furman M-8Dx power conditioner that just arrived yesterday and I was curious if there is any hazard in using that as a master power switch for my whole rack. In other words, the power switch on my Axe II would remain "on" all the time, along with all my other rack units plugged into the power conditioner. Then I would just turn the power conditioner on or off, and the entire rack would power on or off.

I'm pretty new to rack systems, so I'm not sure if this is already considered a common-sense norm. I wouldn't normally ask such a stupid-sounding question, but when it comes to a high-end piece of $2,200 equipment, I don't want to take any chances. Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Should be fine - I've been doing that for years... With one exception: always turn your power amp off before everything else, and turn it on after everything else.

It depends on what else is in your rack. If you have a power amp in there then I would say no. Not sure about switch on but at switch off if the axe powers down before a power amp then your going to get a pop through your speakers.
Rule of thumb is power amp on last and first off.

Yep, no issues with mine. I have two of the older Atomic tube FRFR amps and I set them to standby before I flip the power conditioner switch. No issues for 3 years of ownership.

My old rack used to dim the lights for a moment when I turned it on. I also had an old Eventide that was marginally stable during startup. Consequently, I got into the habit of turning units on one at a time. Old habits die hard.

I've had everything hooked up to a Furman power strip for over two years now and absolutely no issues, in fact I emailed Furman tech support and they confirmed that digital equipment should have no issues, however, you may want to still power up your amps last and manually dial them up, but ultimately, ... one switch to rule them all :)

Back
Top Bottom