S/pdif with Axe Fx as slave issue [no input clock]

I made a rca-xlr cable hybrid using some old stuff that was lying around.
It works!

I still wonder why spdif isn't working but aes is.

Good job! Home brew for the win.

I had to click a bunch of stuff to get spdif to work to the point I'm not sure what I did but it works.
I actually exclusively use spdif with the axe set as slave. I think I did this because setting it to master gave me some issues.

Because you have to set SPDIF/AES Select to SPDIF.

When I tried to connect the two devices throught spdif I did set SPDIF/AES to SPDIF.
I switched to AES when I tried the AES ports.

Probably there is some hardware problem with the spdif in connector.

In the end I haven't solved my problem, I've only bypassed it.
Since I'm a little ocd this will probably bother me forever but at least I got my system working which is pretty nice.

Thanks for replying,
it's nice to see you back on the forum.

How long was the RCA cable? I had issues with 3ft regular RCA cables until I bought a 75 ohm cable. I didn't have issue recording dry or wet tracks but when I tried to reamp I kept getting crackle and static noises.
75 Ohms coaxial is for video applications, for SPDIF it doesn't really matters... (and even for video, for shorter run of cable, doesn't make much of a difference...). At least it matters less than the quality of the cable, better a quality 50Ohms than a shitty 75Ohms...

Last edited:
75 Ohms coaxial is for video applications, for SPDIF it doesn't really matters... (and even for video, for shorter run of cable, doesn't make much of a difference...). At least it matters less than the quality of the cable, better a quality 50Ohms than a shitty 75Ohms...
Actually the SPDIF technical specifications do call for a co-axial cable. In some cases you can get away with a regular cable but if there's a lot of interference, it's not a good idea.

When I tried to connect the two devices throught spdif I did set SPDIF/AES to SPDIF.
I switched to AES when I tried the AES ports.

Probably there is some hardware problem with the spdif in connector.

In the end I haven't solved my problem, I've only bypassed it.
Since I'm a little ocd this will probably bother me forever but at least I got my system working which is pretty nice.

Thanks for replying,
it's nice to see you back on the forum.

You should contact FAS support. Your Axe-Fx II may have a loose internal cable that they can tell you to check. My screen started flickering real bad once and they told me how to open the case, disconnect the fan and what cable to check. Sure enough the cable was loose.

Back
Top Bottom