S/pdif with Axe Fx as slave issue [no input clock]

alcyppa

Inspired
Hey guys,

I need a little help from you today.

I've recently purchased a 2nd generation Scarlett 6i6 and I was thinking to setup mi rig to be able to record and reamp using s/pdif connection.

So far I got it working with the Axe as master and the Focusrite as slave and I've succesfully recorded wet tracks.

Problems begin when I try to set the Axe main input to "source to spidf/aes" in order to reamp tracks:
no matter what I do, I only get the "no input clock!" message.
That's a bummer because I was so pumped to be able to tweak my patches while listening to the full mix.

To be clear I've read the wiki and I think I might have set everything right:

On the Axe Fx:
-Spdif/aes select -> Spdif
-Word clock -> Auto (also tried spdif/aes in)
-Usb/digi out source -> Output 1

On the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6:
-Sample rate -> 48kHz
-Clock Soursce -> Internal

I can't get the Axe II to sync with the audio interface and it's driving me nuts.
Do you guys have some advice to get it to work?
Could the culprit be the cheap ass RCA cable I'm using?

Thank you in advance,
Sam

It's possible that the cable is the problem. Were you using a different cable for the Axe out > Scarlett in connection?

I'd try a new cable next. Get something that says suitable for SPDIF or 75 ohm in the description/specs.

It's possible that the cable is the problem. Were you using a different cable for the Axe out > Scarlett in connection?

I'd try a new cable next. Get something that says suitable for SPDIF or 75 ohm in the description/specs.

Yes, it was the same cable.
I've tried another one (also cheap ass) and the problem persist.

I also think it might be the cable but I don't understand why it works in one way and not in the other.
If I set the Axe as master the device will sync.

Could it be that your cables are mixed up? Make sure Spdif OUT from scarlett goes to Spdif IN on the axe and spdif OUT from the axe goes to spdif IN on the scarlett.

Also, the world clock setting should be "Spdif".

Could it be that your cables are mixed up? Make sure Spdif OUT from scarlett goes to Spdif IN on the axe and spdif OUT from the axe goes to spdif IN on the scarlett.

Also, the world clock setting should be "Spdif".

Connections are right otherwise I couldn't get signal going from the Axe to the Scarlett, which I do.

And I've tried both auto and spdif under the word clock setting.

Yeah, I did find your thread prior to opening my own.
Very informative stuff.

I'll be getting a proper rca cable to see if that really is the problem.

Thanks guys

I've used an extremely cheap RCA cable with my scarlett and had no issues...

How long was the RCA cable? I had issues with 3ft regular RCA cables until I bought a 75 ohm cable. I didn't have issue recording dry or wet tracks but when I tried to reamp I kept getting crackle and static noises.

Have you actually tried reamping anything yet? I get this all the time with PT and I am using spdif, but as soon as I hit record it goes away and there is no difference in sound quality.

What DAW are you using?

Also, here's a post of mine where I was having similar issues reamping: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...arlett-reamping-and-recording-midi-pcs.99917/

I'm using Studio One 3.

My problem is that the Axe doesn't synch and doesn't get any signal from the Scarlett through the spdif out.
The aren't any crack o pops because there is no signal.

And for testing purposes I connected the same spdif out to a hi-fi poweramp and it gets audio signal from it.

Last edited:
I'm using Studio One 3.

My problem is that the Axe doesn't synch and doesn't get any signal from the Scarlett throught the spdif out.
The aren't any crack o pops because there is no signal.

And for testing purposes I connected the same spdif out to a hi-fi poweramp and it gets audio signal from it.
NM reread this

Have you actually tried reamping anything yet? I get this all the time with PT and I am using spdif, but as soon as I hit record it goes away and there is no difference in sound quality.

I had that issue with an older version of SONAR. If I clicked on any other program's window, it was like SONAR would disable my sound card but then as soon as I clicked on the SONAR window to put it back in focus and then hit record, SPDIF would be back in sync and the Axe-Fx II error disappeared.

I had so many issues with reamping and that's why once I finally got everything working, stable and reproducible, I wrote my tutorial. I seriously have to follow my tutorial every time I reamp.

Tomorrow I'll go to a music store to buy a 75ohm rca cable.
I'll let you guys know if that will solve the problem.

It isn't the cable.

Got a 75ohm klotz one and the problem persist.

Any ideas guys?
Could this be a faulty spdif input on the axe fx?
Is there any way I could test if the hardware works?

Also, I'm using a 2nd generation 6i6 which has different drivers and mixcontrol than the previous gen.
Could anyone with a newer Focusrite interface try if the word clock connect when using the axe fx as slave?

I'm quite mad right now (partially because I've spent 26€ and I haven't solved anything)

Last edited:
Any ideas guys?
Could this be a faulty spdif input on the axe fx?
Is there any way I could test if the hardware works?

That's possible. You could test the Axe SPDIF in if you have something with SPDIF out, like a DVD/Bluray player. If that doesn't work immediately, see if the Scarlett can receive/lock to the player while set to 48k.

That's possible. You could test the Axe SPDIF in if you have something with SPDIF out, like a DVD/Bluray player. If that doesn't work immediately, see if the Scarlett can receive/lock to the player while set to 48k.

So I have to connect something a dvd player digital coaxial output to the Axe input?
Then I should switch input source and word clock to spdif right?

So, after I do this what will happen?
The Axe should sync with the player?

EDIT:
I think I got what you meant.
I connected the scarlett to a digital decoder which had a digital output: setting clock source as spdif (so I assume the former was slave and the latter master) got them connected and I was able to receive audio from the decoder.

Tried the same thing with the Axe and got the same damn annoying "no input clock".

So, what now?
Should I throw away some more money and buy two rca-xlr adapters and see if AES works?

Last edited:
Is your DAW set to 48K 24bit? If Yes, have you looked at the properties of the Dry tracks wav file to make sure it's really recorded at 48K 24bit?

Do my MixControl files from my tutorial work with a 2nd Gen? Here's the link to my tutorial and files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7y0d1t78py5e4ri/AACbtdbjE5KZMQSS2Z_RI6Iha?dl=0

I always leave the Axe-Fx II Word Clock set to Auto

Can you take 3 screenshots similar to the ones in my tutorial and post them here?
  1. MixControl
  2. DAW Dry track inputs and outputs
  3. DAW Reamp track inputs and outputs

I know this can be very frustrating. It took me a lot of testing to get mine to work. Once you get it to work, take lots of screenshots and write down all your settings and save them someplace like Dropbox or Evernote, so you'll be able to easily find the info next time you want to reamp.

Back
Top Bottom