S/PDIF or Q7.0 Noise?

CactusTone

Inspired
Just started using S/PDIF to my Apollo 8 TB. Super easy single cable connection, but I'm getting some intermittent record player type "pops" in the sound now. I also updated to Q7.0 from the Beta. I did not get "pops" when I ran Output 1 XLR stereo into the Apollo in Beta. Has anyone noticed "pops" from either S/PDIF or Q7.0?

Last edited:
I'll get pops on the SPDIF line if I run too much in a preset and try to record it. How much CPU are you using in the preset? Do the pops go away if you reduce CPU to around 75-80%?

I haven't had any under reasonable track / CPU load. My UAD Console settings:
Clock Rate: s/pdif
Input Delay Compensation: Medium

In Ableton/Logic, set a large buffer size to see if the crackles go away. I have my system continuously on ~8 hours a day with 256 Samples and haven't had an issue with crackles as long as I'm around 60% DSP with the Apollo... There are a lot of moving pieces as you know, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of that is luck.

Last edited:
I got pops/clicks using Apollo Quad Firewire and S/PDIF on Axe XL. On the Apollo console software, on the S/PDIF channel strip there is a button on the strip that says SR Convert. When I pushed it the pops/clicks quit and my signal was crystal clear.

I use SPDIF for going directly into my Pioneer home theater receiver (I know this is kind of a weird configuration, but I have really great speakers connected to it, and it sounds AMAZING). And it doesn't have any options for tweaking its SPDIF interface.

Back
Top Bottom