S/PDIF not synched to inteface: Still works?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Just a quick question. I've noticed that with my III connected to my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 via S/PDIF, everything seems to work fine even when both units have their clock source set to internal, or external. Is this normal, or am I missing something?

Part of the SPDIF signal is an embedded clock, so typically when you have two units connected via SPDIF, they'll latch to that embedded signal.

"Seems to work fine". Over time you will get clicks as the clocks slip. The period between clicks will depend on the degree of clock mismatch.

In my experience better to make one the source, as Cliff stated you will get noticeable clicks in the signal otherwise.

Thanks for the replies guys! I only tried it for a short while (gig yesterday so I was hooking the III back to my studio), but I will stick with syncing them in the future.

So how should the clocks be set for best performance? One set to internal and other to External? I use UAD Twin interface, oticed some clicks recently when using Spdif.

Best bet if you can is to use a Master Clock (typically a BNC connection). That can be a separate unit, or some interfaces have Master Clocking capabilities. Something has to be master, everything else is a slave. Same basic idea if you're just connecting units directly with no Master Clock...One is master, one is slave (or internal/external, depending on the lingo of your particular interface).

Back
Top Bottom