S/pdif for recording

Adder

So I'm hearing that some of you guys are using S/pdif to connect to an interface. I was wondering how this equates to the regular main output XLR in terms of quality. As a digital output I would guess that this connection bypasses the AX8 D/A converter? One less process in the chain has to be better yes?

It bypasses your sound card's converters. So there is, theoretically, less messing with the signal.
Also, if your sound card offers direct monitoring, there is almost no latency.

It bypasses your sound card's converters. So there is, theoretically, less messing with the signal.
Also, if your sound card offers direct monitoring, there is almost no latency.
OK then that's even better. The AX8 D/A converter is bypassed along with the sound card A/D converter. Sounds like a bargain.

AX8 converter is not bypassed, it does its job. It has to produce sound somehow, right? :)

Scratch that, see below.

Last edited:
And that's about the limit of AX8 resolution? It processes everything in 48kHz before D/A to main XLR outputs I would imagine.
Looks like it. I normally run everything in 48 kHz and AX8 works just fine. And that's what Manual says as well.

I switched from xlr to spdif for recording and I can hear a difference in quality. also playing has become more enjoyable. depends on the audio interface though. if you have nice preamps you're good to go with xlr recording :)

Not necessarily. It could be sample rate converted before sent to the SPDIF output.
Yes, perhaps, but I don't see why any designer would want to "downsample" a process for the sake of compatability as pretty much all interfaces that have spdif input can be dialed up to 96kHz these days.
I note that the Kemper spdif clock is even lower at 44.1 for all you comparison freaks out there.

I switched from xlr to spdif for recording and I can hear a difference in quality. also playing has become more enjoyable. depends on the audio interface though. if you have nice preamps you're good to go with xlr recording :)
Mmm very interesting. What interface do you have out of curiosity?

Yes, perhaps, but I don't see why any designer would want to "downsample" a process for the sake of compatability as pretty much all interfaces that have spdif input can be dialed up to 96kHz these days.
I note that the Kemper spdif clock is even lower at 44.1 for all you comparison freaks out there.

True. Afaik the old DSPs have a more or less direct SPDIF compatible serial signal line (which would explain why there's an SPDIF port) so there's a high probability the AX8 works with a system wide 48kHz sample rate.

I agree to what is said here about SPDIF recording. It is also more convenient to record in stereo, cos you only need one cable. But in my experience, I can't hear much difference sound-wise vs xlr recording. On my interface, its input is less hot than the analoge ones. Also has to remember to set the interface Clock Source to the AX8/spdif when recording to avoid pops and clicks. I use spdif because of convenience, and that the recording would have a theoretical higher quality :)

Yeah. I seem to remember reading that FAS asked on the forum if yous all wanted spdif out on a pedal board before the AX8 came out. Consensus was obviously "yes".
For the one cable stereo in along with more direct signal path, it becomes a no Brainer for me. It also frees up all those XLR inputs for other things. So glad FAS included spdif.
oh and I track at 48 pretty much all the time. What's not to like?

Mmm very interesting. What interface do you have out of curiosity?
I had a focusrite 2i2 then I switched to 18i6. I don't know if my 2i2 had a problem or not but it sounded really wierd. both xlr and spdif sound good on 18i6 :)

I had a focusrite 2i2 then I switched to 18i6. I don't know if my 2i2 had a problem or not but it sounded really wierd. both xlr and spdif sound good on 18i6 :)
I have just got a 18i8. Hooked up s/pdif today. I have to say it sounds pristine.
Focusrite seem to be offering some very powerful gear at great prices. Very happy.

Back
Top Bottom