S/PDIF Cable Quality Question

WatersDeep

Inspired
I am looking for some insight on the quality difference with S/PDIF cables that go from my Axe FX II to my audio interface and then back again to allow for reamping.

Originally I bought these Cables to Go S/PDIF cables that were low priced with what seemed like a lot of great reviews. I figured 0's and 1's are just that 0's and 1's so like any data cable what difference does it make.

So after upgrading some other cables of mine with Mogami which had noticeable improvement in quality, it got me thinking about the S/PDIF cable.

1. Cables to Go Velocity S/PDIF Digital Audio Coax Cable for $9.98 each
  2. Mogami PURE PATCH RR-06 for $21.95 each
  3. Mogami RCA-RCA 06 Mono RCA 6 feet for $43.95 each

So I am wondering is there any improved difference in sound quality specifically from the $10 cable vs the $21 vs the $43 cable? Since I need two, this is expensive and I just don't know when it comes to digital 0's and 1's vs analog signal. Anyone know from experience if the cost is justified to upgrade the S/PDIF cable type to something like Mogami or would I hear no difference at all and be wasting my money?

Any insight from those with experience would be great.

It will almost certainly have no effect on sound quality, but you might get a more durable cable if needed.

I could see durability might be a difference. I don't move anything around so once its wired up, it doesn't move. So outside of durability, if there is no sound quality difference, then I wont waste $90 for two Mogami spdif cables. What I have sounds great far as I know without comparing. I just needed advise from anyone who could validate or invalidate sound quality differences. Appreciate the feedback so far.

Yep, for digital cables, the reality is that it almost never makes a difference until you get into really high speed transmissions like Gigabit network and such, unless you are running very long cables or there are strong interference sources nearby.

There is no difference in 'quality' in the traditional audio sense. Nothing related to the actual signal outputted from the unit will change.

It will either work 100%, or you will have extremely obvious disruptive artifacts and issues like dropouts, absurd clicks and pops, or no signal whatsoever. There is nothing subtle about it. It either works, or it doesn't.

Physical durability, however, is certainly a factor.

From your website: *The specs for a coaxial digital audio cable are the same as for a typical video cable: 75 ohm impedance, coaxial construction.

So what's the difference?

Idiots, willing to pay upper price tags believing in Marketing blabla? OK, we all know: Cables with golden jacks the digital "1" will be sharper and the digital "0" a lot smoother ... haha ....

Never had an Issue with a 20 year old cheapo coax-cable from my HiFi desk fromthe 80ies ... works like charm.

Last edited:
RCA is a connector style not a cable type. Any standard 75 ohm coax cable will work just fine for most SPDIF purposes unless you are dealing with long cable runs or strong interference. Analog audio cables with RCA connectors (like the ones used on old record players back in the day) are not necessarily the same thing and may or may not work. At audio frequencies, cable impedance doesn't tend to matter much, which is why instrument cables almost never reference a cable impedance. Higher radio frequencies are a different story. The wrong cable type can cause huge losses at MHz and GHz frequencies. The point is, cables tend not to matter as long as they are the right kind of cable for the job. The cables to go cables the OP bought are good enough for his needs and he will most likely hear no difference in audio quality by going with a more expensive cable of the same type.

For short cable lengths any old RCA cable will work. I use some cheap, POS thing that I had lying around. The impedance mismatch will be minimal.

I now feel totally confident with my $10 cables. I did read that for spdif you dont want to be less than 5 feet or you get jitters. Mine are 6 feet and no jitters so I couldn't say if it was another myth or not.

Back
Top Bottom