S&M2 - Axe-Fx III

They’ve been exclusively Fractal live since 2014 right? IIRC I saw that they originally had a bunch of IIs, then switched to XL+s and they’ve been on the III since March last year I think.

They must know what people would do for their presets as well! Hetfield always sounds massive but Robert’s bass tone is awesome too, so punchy and fits exactly where it needs to

I can attest that Metallica sounds a million times better than they did 10 years ago and I would have to give axefx at least some of the credit but maybe not all. Maybe they pay more attention to live mixes like this that hit the internet than they used to. I think they just used to send the DI mix directly but for a production like this even a jam room session probably has some mastering work done.

I saw Metallica live in 2008 and 2012. Back then I remember being disappointed in their live sound. Especially in recordings though. It was decent live, probably thanks to decades of experience mixing for PA systems around the world. I have to imagine that same mix was not working well recorded DI and untouched. I fell off with Metallica for a bit but have been watching some recent stuff like this and also the Howard Stern performance. I feel like that wouldn't sound half as good without being able to use axefx due to all the mic crosstalk. Axefx is a game changer in many different environments. Stage, studio, bedroom, and jam space too apparently.

That clean tone is INSANE!

I've been fortunate to see them a bunch of times over the past 2 decades & remember hearing the difference from the old triaxis blended rigs, diezel & everything else they used up until the fractal stuff...wasn't it for the Antarctica gig where they really committed to using them as primaries after that (since they couldn't have a big foot print worth of gear down there or omit sound past a certain decibel range as to not mess with the penguins..lol so they constructed that bubble & everyone in attendance listened through headphones with only the drums & singing being audible..)

anywho..i remember back in the 1st quarter of 2018 i believe it was when they transitioned to the III's from the II's on the road...i think it was El Paso..prior to that show on that same leg of the tour..might have been the previous leg...chad had the II's in the rack case next to the midi controller....but at El Paso (& after) it was now the III's..the difference was noticeable..in person at S&M2 the distortion was "grittier" than i remember...idk if that was done to further stand out in the mix in the chase arena/with the symphony or if that was just the updates they'd made to their tone since the end of the arena/stadium run.

The Hetfield clean on Ktulu & NEM...did i mention insane? :p

Last edited:
That clean tone is INSANE!

I've been fortunate to see them a bunch of times over the past 2 decades & remember hearing the difference from the old triaxis blended rigs, diezel & everything else they used up until the fractal stuff...wasn't it for the Antarctica gig where they really committed to using them as primaries after that (since they couldn't have a big foot print worth of gear down there or omit sound past a certain decibel range as to not mess with the penguins..lol so they constructed that bubble & everyone in attendance listened through headphones with only the drums & singing being audible..)

anywho..i remember back in the 1st quarter of 2018 i believe it was when they transitioned to the III's from the II's on the road...i think it was El Paso..prior to that show on that same leg of the tour..might have been the previous leg...chad had the II's in the rack case next to the midi controller....but at El Paso (& after) it was now the III's..the difference was noticeable..in person at S&M2 the distortion was "grittier" than i remember...idk if that was done to further stand out in the mix in the chase arena or if that was just the updates they'd made to their tone since the end of the arena/stadium run.

The Hetfield clean on Ktulu & NEM...did i mention insane? :p

I think it was the Antartica gig they decided to commit to the Axe, makes sense really a couple of fly rigs and their backups what's not to like.

I think the last time I saw them was back in 2003 at the Reading & Leeds festival over her in the UK that was before they started using the Axe live and during the St Anger period. I remember System of the Down playing that night as well. Before that I saw them back in 97" at Earls Court for the Load tour. I think I've been a fan since 93' something like that.

Favourite track on S&M 2 is definitely Outlaw Torn at the moment I can't stop playing it lol.

I think it was the Antartica gig they decided to commit to the Axe, makes sense really a couple of fly rigs and their backups what's not to like.

I think the last time I saw them was back in 2003 at the Reading & Leeds festival over her in the UK that was before they started using the Axe live and during the St Anger period. I remember System of the Down playing that night as well. Before that I saw them back in 97" at Earls Court for the Load tour. I think I've been a fan since 93' something like that.

Favourite track on S&M 2 is definitely Outlaw Torn at the moment I can't stop playing it lol.

There is something about hearing that clean tone in particular through a proper outdoor PA (vs indoor arena)...

My fave off S&M2 is probably outlaw as well followed by clover...honorable mention to the S.F.S. cause then they started Ecstasy of Gold....instant Goosebumps & took me back to when i was way younger watching the OG S&M...talk about nostalgia

Back
Top Bottom