RW cabs

djlynch

Inspired
i feel like a lot of the RW ir's could be replaced with something better. I'd love to have those slots open as I don't use to many RW's. They don't sound full enough I guess

I agree with you, djlynch, that all the RedWirez IRs should be replaced. And this is coming from someone who bought the RedWirez BIGBox Bundle years ago, but never uses them anymore. Technology has advanced leaps and bounds since those came out. The stuff that FAS and Ownhammer have been pumping out as of lately, is the cat's meow and I'm not settling for less.

My first foray into the IR world was Red Wirez and Re-cab back in 2010. Back then I had a Randall MTS preamp (the thing designed by Bruce Egnater) and wanted to record direct with those tube modules. I ended up running into Sonar 8.5, using Line 6 ( sorry for the vulgar language) POD Farm for FX, Peavey Revalver (3.5 I think) for power amp coloration and a convolution plugin for the RW Big Box IR's. It actually worked pretty well for that album. Of course the AF2 is light years beyond that particular set up.

I have a fondness for those IR's because of that experience but don't find them holding up to what a company like Ownhammer is producing these days. Maybe we'd be better to have some more FAS IR's and maybe more user slots.

I liked them back in the day. Used to prefer Redwirez to Ownhammer in terms of the sound at that point. Plus they had a lot of unique cabs, speakers, and mics in a ton of different positions. They seem thinner and less dimensional in comparison to what's out there now but that was the last time I tested them out last year when I tried generating UR IRs of them in Cab Lab.

IRs seem like a labor of love for those who produce them commercially. Pretty tough to keep evolving it as an independent IR company but the upside is more of these digital amp devices are starting to include user IR capabilities.

I completely agree what you're saying. The three things that make or break IR's for me are:
1-Dimensionality I know it's not a word, what I mean is does it have depth/space to it not sounding 1 dimensional or just like an EQ curve.
2- Does it sound clean/clear? Not in a speaker break up way but more like does the IR itself add noise or dirt in a non-musical way.
3- Does it have an organic,open top end bite? Not fizz but that air that a real speaker has, this is the hardest thing for me to find in an IR.

When I first got the AFX II back in December 2011 my ears were already tuned to the RW sound, but I think the quality of IR capture and of course what we're putting into them modeling wise have improved immensely. I wish the guys at RW, which were awesome to work with, would try their hand at some new updates, I bet they could give some of these guys are run for their money.

Right now I dig on the Ownhammer stuff which used to sound thin compared to RW to my ears.

I completely agree what you're saying. The three things that make or break IR's for me are:
1-Dimensionality I know it's not a word, what I mean is does it have depth/space to it not sounding 1 dimensional or just like an EQ curve.
2- Does it sound clean/clear? Not in a speaker break up way but more like does the IR itself add noise or dirt in a non-musical way.
3- Does it have an organic,open top end bite? Not fizz but that air that a real speaker has, this is the hardest thing for me to find in an IR.

When I first got the AFX II back in December 2011 my ears were already tuned to the RW sound, but I think the quality of IR capture and of course what we're putting into them modeling wise have improved immensely. I wish the guys at RW, which were awesome to work with, would try their hand at some new updates, I bet they could give some of these guys are run for their money.

Right now I dig on the Ownhammer stuff which used to sound thin compared to RW to my ears.

I can only guess that the economics weren't there for Redwirez to redo their library...or they would have done it. Looks like Redwirez was/is an offshoot of Red5 group.

http://www.red5group.com/

Or...maybe they're making decent enough return off of this that they don't have to burn more resource. I'm thinking RW IRs may sound much better on more forgiving digital systems than the AxeFX

Back
Top Bottom