Rush - Tom Sawyer Synth ?

flyingfadr

Power User
Has anyone been able to sculpt a synth patch that sounds like the Oberheim OB-x on Rush's Tom Sawyer ? Is it possible ?

I saw a very old post by Adam, but no sound or preset....

Thanks in advance !

That's awesome, Thank you ! I'll check that out tonight... any hints on how to come up with the opening OB-x sound ?

no worries. let me know what you think of them. i suspect the volume levels are all over the place, so you'll have to tweak those. best place is in layout and page right a few times until you see the big "main" volume slider

NICE!!!! Very cool thanks Simeon...I spent some time trying to duplicate the intro synth tone a while back but just couldn't really nail it. Can't wait to try both presets out.

Many years ago, I did a Tom Sawyer preset for a popular virtual analog synth. Set the cutoff so it resonates on the fundamental (E in this case) then dial in the filter envelope to decay as you wish. Enable UNISON MODE (8 oscillators in my example), add some delay and voila.

Geddy Lee paid me quite the complement on my presets when I met him years later.

Here's a recording (NOT the Axe-Fx, but a keyboard)
[Soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/mysticworks/saw-ya[/Soundcloud]

Last edited:
Many years ago, I did a Tom Sawyer preset for a popular virtual analog synth. Set the cutoff so it resonates on the fundamental (E in this case) then dial in the filter envelope to decay as you wish. Enable UNISON MODE (8 oscillators in my example), add some delay and voila.

Geddy Lee paid me quite the complement on my presets when I met him years later.

Here's a recording (NOT the Axe-Fx, but a keyboard)
[Soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/mysticworks/saw-ya[/Soundcloud]

That, is really really cool.

Thank you sim!! I will check this out later. Never thought this could be done in the Axe realm, but then again what can't?

Thank you Simeon, they sound great !

For outboard synths, there is a plug-in called OP-x, which actually has a preset named Tom Sawyer... sounds exactly like the real deal... but I really wanted this for the AxeFX... no sequencing... ;-)

Simeon - that Tom Sawyer Growl patch sounds AWESOME!!!. I have the OP-X and a real OBX-a (which does a decent Camera Eye, but not THE GROWL).

Great Job!

Now, how about a Xanadu or La Villa Taurus Pedal patch???

Back
Top Bottom