Sounds like a bad holiday inn cover band. Even though they tuned down for circumstances a few tours back, it still sounded like Geddy. This doesn't. The instruments sounded fine, but without Geddy's voice it isn't Rush.

sounds like some super cheesy 80s english new wave band; the smiths, echo and the bunneymen, cure etc. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. My roomate in college was in such a band and whenever his singer was over I would be cranking on my guitar Iron Maiden and Slayer.

The last time I saw Rush live, they dropped the key of some of the old songs so Geddy could sing them. I found it extremely difficult to enjoy the tunes. Hearing songs in the original key is a "thing" with me. I've been in a cover band for ten years now that plays everything down a half step (except Eb tunes), and I still don't like it and will never get used to it.

But then, on rare occasion, I like to listen to songs pitch shifted to hear them from a fresh perspective. Go figure. I know some keyboard players who regularly play any tune in any key they want, and consider the key irrelevant and subject to change to suit their vocal range. Hell, I can't even transpose on guitar. Their ability to do it on keys and on the fly impresses me.

First saw Rush on Hemispheres tour at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. Also a die hard fan. Like others have said, the music is fine, but the vocals sound weird. Especially on Different Strings. I'm not a huge fan of his voice on its own, but it's an integral part of Rush.

I could never understand why Rush persist in performing songs that are clearly now beyond Geddy's vocal range. Quite some time ago they dropped the key for 2112 and it worked fine, so why not do this with the rest of their repertoire? So what if it makes them sound more contemporary? Better than hearing Ged yelping to reach the notes. I love Rush but I tire of listening to them live now. :/

Last edited:
I am not a Rush fan. The singer's high pitch singing turns me off, even though the guitar is wonderful. I like what you posted though, and very much so I must say. Perhaps I should revisit some of their tracks and tune them down :)

Pretty interesting. For whatever reason it makes me think of Marillion, even though I think I've only heard one of their songs. I'm a huge fan as well, but I'd agree that that the guitars from Hold Your Fire sound better in general when tuned down like that (even though that's one of my fave albums).

This might be the solution for those who like Rush but hate Geddy's voice. Tho it's less "Rush" and more "Power Walking".

If you have the chance, I'd love to hear some stuff from the first album tuned down. :twisted

Been listening to rush for well over 30 years :) I like them in the 3 semitones below as well, but I think that's a lot because I love those songs in the first place .. Rush is just awesome in mho

//Kenneth

Not blasphemous, just doesn't sound like them. Of course they haven't sounded like them since Power Windows.

Nowadays, they don't need to change the key. Geddy just needs to sing an octave lower. Oh.

Back
Top Bottom