RUSH - "The Big Money"

guitonit

Alrighty Lads, this one is a bit different approach.

First and foremost, the tech details -

1- This patch is a bit of an exposé on the Virtual Capo feature of the Pitch block. Alex actually used a guitar that was tuned up a whole step. Yes, read that again, a whole step.......F#..... with a Floyd. Dangerous territory to say the least, but with the advances of the Virtual Capo, piece of cake. Please listen louder than your guitar is acoustically, or your brain might melt.

2 - This is still a work in progress and not intended to be a direct tone match to the album (AKA different approach), but rather a mix of the live and album version. Take a close look and tweak to you hearts content.

3 - All of the scenes in the patch are labeled per section of the song. Scenes 1-5.

4 - I owe a great debt of gratitude to Admin M@ for some of the album oriented portion of the show. Arigato M@ San.

5 - Firmware 15.01 for this one. Cygnus version to follow.

6 - Please forgive me for the crappy MIDI backing tracks, mix and questionable playing.

7 - The guitar I used was a 1995 PRS CE-22 (Purple with birds, modded by Paul Smith and John Ingram with a three way switch and McCarty pickups with grey wire...... for us geeks).

8 - Enjoy!

Scotty A,

Attachments

• III-Big Monkey 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Oh jeez, I found that on the web somewhere quite a while ago. I will see if I can remember where it came from.

Scotty A.

Will Cliff model some GK amps already!!!! GK 250ML with various scenes, clean, clean with compression, clean with chorus, clean with chorus and each/verb, the same with Channel B.

Someone made a descent Axe3 and FM3 patch (really great patch). The first profile I did back in 2012 on my KPA was my GK, then my Plexi. GK still sounds good, but way too many better Plexis.

I A/B my Plexi with my old Axe2 (when I first got it) and after a few switches between A/B to lose track of which channel was which, I couldn't tell which was which or cared. Both sounded great and nearly identical in sound and feel.

Oh man this is amazing. I can't even explain how long I've been trying to recreate this song/album. Mix of album and live is just what I've been chasing for many of his tones.

Thanks a million for sharing this!

How did I miss this until today?!! Scotty!!!! Love love the preset. Gonna break out my tele and play JUST the clean parts (and then some... Next stop Middletown!) By the way, far from "questionable" your authoritative playing on this song illuminates some nuances that I never noticed on the record until now. It's almost as if you've heard it performed by an expert in some up close and personal in-ear monitors.

PS: I had a PRS with grey wire McCartys. One of several guitars I really regret letting go of.

How did I miss this until today?!! Scotty!!!! Love love the preset. Gonna break out my tele and play JUST the clean parts (and then some... Next stop Middletown!) By the way, far from "questionable" your authoritative playing on this song illuminates some nuances that I never noticed on the record until now. It's almost as if you've heard it performed by an expert in some up close and personal in-ear monitors.

PS: I had a PRS with grey wire McCartys. One of several guitars I really regret letting go of.

Middletown - cool song.

No worries Man!! And thank you! Please post your Middletown when you get a chance, would love to hear it!

You're far too kind, I never really learned this song, so it is what it is. That said, I definitely have heard it "up close and personal" a time or two. ;)

As for the PRS - 22 frets + grey wire McCarty's = absolute magic IMO. I actually sold this guitar about 20 years ago and was fortunate enough to buy it back a couple years later. It will never be far from arms length again.

Scotty A.

W O W !

Color me impressed as hell. You nailed the tone and (most impressively) the playing. Like Matt said, you really captured the subtle nuances. Great illustration of just how amazing and unique synth-era Lifeson's playing was. I'll take 20 tickets for your cover band's next show please...

W O W !

Color me impressed as hell. You nailed the tone and (most impressively) the playing. Like Matt said, you really captured the subtle nuances. Great illustration of just how amazing and unique synth-era Lifeson's playing was. I'll take 20 tickets for your cover band's next show please...
Thanks fuzzyoctaves, you are far too kind. Just a heads up, I play in a Def Leppard tribute band, but I will let you know next time we play.

Scotty A.

Oh jeez, I found that on the web somewhere quite a while ago. I will see if I can remember where it came from.

Scotty A.
Thanks for the replies, but I can't find that backing track anywhere....the synths are very close to the original. Guitonit....could you by chance share the file? Thanks in advance!

Hello! Could anybody help me with that backing track? I searched all over the internet but I can't find it. Thanks in advanced.

Yes, but if you listen carefully, the synth guitar part in the 2nd verse is the EXACT or near the same as the original record. The website you linked is ok but that part is not the same. Thanks you again anyway.

Yes, but if you listen carefully, the synth guitar part in the 2nd verse is the EXACT or near the same as the original record. The website you linked is ok but that part is not the same. Thanks you again anyway.
Have you tried ripping the track apart with Moises? You may have to play parts again and program / sequence keys .. but it is better than most backing tracks out on the web

It works with live recordings too 😏

Back
Top Bottom