Rush Moving Pictures Classic Albums Bonus Material

That was very cool. It really opened my mind to hear the guitar tones he used to layer. Tones I would have never considered using. And then when you hear them all together again, you can hear those tones each contributing in their own way. I absolutely love the open chord voicings Alex uses.

One thing that always stands out to me about Rush is Geddy's tone. It's hard for me to describe in words but there is something "thick and squishy" about his tone. And actually, it's very much like Neil's tone.

Speaking of Alex Lifeson... it's cool to hear some of the many guitar layers of guitar on Tom Sawyer in isolation. He says "triple tracked" but then presses about five buttons to un-solo the guitars.
Wet and dry tracks?

Whatever it is: sounds amazing. It love hearing these tracks isolated like this.

This is amazing to hear. That bass tone is what inspired me to pick up a Rickenbacker as my first proper bass.

Prior to picking up the Rick, I learned to play on a Silvertone ES-335 clone that I strung up with 4 strings. The guitar was unplayable past the 12th fret due to the surface mounted pickups muting the strings. I learned to get more out of those first 12 frets than most, but it seriously stunted my confidence going up the neck for years.

Wow. Great behind the scenes view for us mortals.

Also takes me back to a great time in my life where I'd just gotten my drivers liscence, a beat 72 Nova, a kick ass car stereo, and a new Rush album. Man that record sounded good in there. Haven't heard a good car stereo like that in quite a while.

This is amazing to hear. That bass tone is what inspired me to pick up a Rickenbacker as my first proper bass.

Prior to picking up the Rick, I learned to play on a Silvertone ES-335 clone that I strung up with 4 strings. The guitar was unplayable past the 12th fret due to the surface mounted pickups muting the strings. I learned to get more out of those first 12 frets than most, but it seriously stunted my confidence going up the neck for years.

me too but that tone is his 72' fender jazz bass

Watching this kind of thing always reminds me that the "other" member of the band is the one who mixes/produces.
Like any other member of the band, this person can make or break the sound of the band.
Fun watch !

Zeppelin, and then Rush were the first musical inspirations for me. I did loose interest when they started with all the keys but I was also getting more into a purer blues form. Inter Warren Haynes and the resurrection of the Allman Bros and Gov Mule and that whole scene. It sort of came full circle this Christmas as my 12 year old grandson received his first turntable, and stereo system, complete with Physical Graffiti, Zoso, and Abbey rd on vinyl. I think next on the essential listen list will be Fly By Night and Moving Pictures. But wait...I think I'll also have to squeeze 2112 in there some how...

Back
Top Bottom