Rush - Limelight Double Tone Match for 12.03

Hmmm.... If this is in NJ where I live there's a chance I could carry it to NH the next time we do a cab capture session.
Im trying to figure out what that amp is, that you're picking up???
If its RUSH related, i can help, I live in beautiful NJ lol (not west chester) :p:p

I came back to post a clip so you can HEAR what I thought was SEEING.

The first pass thru in this clip is of your preset and cab. That high frequency stuff in the right speaker is probably due to what we see in the first plot above.

The second pass thru in this clip is something I just made. It uses two tonematches (left and right, exported as cabs). With my guitar, it has more "kerrang" when that high energy isn't there. Remember, I haven't heard your preset with you and your guitar, so who knows.

I did not use the available iso version of the song for my match because it has too much bleed; I used the intro from the CD, so the reference material is unfortunately quite limited. No double tracking but I did some tricks to widen it (not the enhancer ;-) I also gated the heck out of it like it is on the original recording for some super "smack". Reverb removed in all cases for clarity.

can you post the tone matched cab IR's (left and right)?
It sounds really great!

Thought I'd put these here too since there are many online "lessons" which do not match what is heard on the album. Use your ears and the pictures. The A# in that third chord comes first by the way, and rings across the bass note change from E to F#. (By then, in fact, the A# may be the only note you're actually fretting...it's hard to transcribe with just chord diagrams) The low F# in the last chord slides up to G# to start the pattern over. It's very Andy Summers.

GPU Preview)  2020-02-28 11-41-32.png

Last edited:
Is that video what you actually played? In the second chord, I think I see you hitting a B when I'm hearing an A#...

Cool tip about fretting that with your second finger and letting it ring out on the change - dig it!

Thought I'd put these here too since there are many online "lessons" which do not match what is heard on the album. Use your ears and the pictures. The A# in that third chord comes first by the way, and rings across the bass note change from E to F#. (By then, in fact, the A# may be the only note you're actually fretting...it's hard to transcribe with just chord diagrams) The low F# in the last chord slides up to G# to start the pattern over. It's very Andy Summers.

View attachment 64382
That’s how I learned it from Lifeson’s own tutorial in GarageBand.

Is that video what you actually played? In the second chord, I think I see you hitting a B when I'm hearing an A#...
The video and audio are one and the same take. The B is an open string. The A# is fretted at the same time.

Matt:

I'm picking up the C&C this weekend as soon as I connect with the seller. Next time you drive to NH, I'll drive from Long Island and meet you (Stamford?) So you can take the amp. It doesn't have the original speakers so if Cliff needs those maybe he can use his cabinet.

Seller says it is in excellent shape and converted to EL34s. But you and Cliff can do whatever you want if you want it back or close to stock.

I also can lend you one of my GK250ml or RLs if you are interested, plus some vintage pedals like the Shaftesbury Duo-Fuzz (univox) used by Steve Hackett or a MAESTRO PS1-a. We really need a model of thatmwith the three speeds.

For the solo, I'm going to build in a little sampler so that high note can be held while you continue to play the progression underneath.
Now thats exciting!
I cannot wait to hear that........ along with the tone match, patch uploaded as well lol please?

Redid the tone matching with no cabs. Now to both the Left and Right channels of the iso track: Plexi for left and a Hi Watt for right. The Plexi/L is more distorted while the HiWatt is a little cleaner.

Tweaked the solo delays (more subtle) w/ A/D flanger and with a PEQ that gives a more liquid tone.

This sounds killer to me right now (with my guitar - still sloppy):

Two IRs for L/R go into the CAB blocks. U1.0015 into the upper CAB and U1.0017 into the lower CAB.
Added a Filter at the beginning to control level hitting the chain.
Scene 8 with just the HiWatt could be used for the cleaner strat sound near the end of the chorus, esp with FIL ch A (-3dB) or B (-6dB) on.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• U1.0015_TM Limely-L Plx 12.03 - v2.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 67
  • U1.0017_TM Limely-R HW+CF 12.03.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Rush Limely TM HW+Plx 12.03-v2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Redid the tone matching with no cabs. Now to both the Left and Right channels of the iso track: Plexi for left and a Hi Watt for right. The Plexi/L is more distorted while the HiWatt is a little cleaner.

Tweaked the solo delays (more subtle) w/ A/D flanger and with a PEQ that gives a more liquid tone.

This sounds killer to me right now (with my guitar - still sloppy):

Two IRs for L/R go into the CAB blocks. U1.0015 into the upper CAB and U1.0017 into the lower CAB.

That sounds great!!
You might beat Admin@. He's already working on the last note of the lead.
Nice work. Going to try it, as soon as i reach the AXE.

The solo scene was still missing a "singing" quality that sounds like a beautifully saturated fuzz. So I tried a fuzz face in parallel with a mid hump and I think it's closer.

Man I gotta stop, I'm obsessing!

Solo clip (no tremolo on guitar!). I played it a bit wrong :p but it sounds so right.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Rush Limely TM HW+Plx 12.03-v3.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
The solo scene was still missing a "singing" quality that sounds like a beautifully saturated fuzz. So I tried a fuzz face in parallel with a mid hump and I think it's closer.

Man I gotta stop, I'm obsessing!

Solo clip - no trem on guitar, and I played it all wrong :confused: but it sounds so right.

View attachment 64399

View attachment 64400

Sounds Great!!!

Gets a lot closer every time
I hear some flanging in there, and it’s definately bringing out the character and attitude.
No such thing as obsessing. It’s more like the relentless pursuit to perfection, and worth every minute.

Back
Top Bottom