FM3 Rush - Limelight Cover

MGDG

Hey everyone, made a cover of one of my favorite songs by Rush. I used the Brit silver model with some stock uberkab (or maybe it was 1960As?). I also boosted with the Super OD drive, which I think gave it just the kind of saturation that I like to hear. A bit sloppy playing, but please share what you think if you liked it or not.

You've done a nice job of this tune. I'ts just my opinion but it almost seems almost sacreligious to not play it the way Alex did. He said that he always plays this song the same way every time so that tells us what he thinks about how it should be played. Again that's just my humble two cents. But good job!

Interesting. I think I like it, not 100% positive, but it's definitely a fresh take. I don't like the solo however. How can I explain... It's not put together well, I guess is what I'm hearing. That being said, you have a very original, biting tone though. I like that a lot. This is from a guy who grew up on Rush, VH, Zep, Floyd, and one of my all-time favorites is Dream Theater, and my favorite guitar tone is Petrucci from Train of Thought.

Interesting. I think I like it, not 100% positive, but it's definitely a fresh take. I don't like the solo however. How can I explain... It's not put together well, I guess is what I'm hearing. That being said, you have a very original, biting tone though. I like that a lot. This is from a guy who grew up on Rush, VH, Zep, Floyd, and one of my all-time favorites is Dream Theater, and my favorite guitar tone is Petrucci from Train of Thought.
Thanks for the honesty! I have this very fast and sloppy style, but it's something that I am not intent on changing, merely improving. But I agree, it's not a strong solo, definitely could've done with some re-takes and then sorting out which was the best one. I am just so attracted to the idea of nailing it on the first try, like I think the solo from the song 'Secrets' by Van Halen was a first-take by Eddie, and it's just one of my favorites ever.
Oh, and heck yes to Petrucci's tone on Train of Thought, so thick and yet so detailed, As I Am, Stream of Consciousness and Honor Thy Father are incredible.

Are you outside USA? Sounds like English isn't the singer's first language. He has good tone BTW. I like the guitar but don't remember it sounding as aggressive as you've dialed it.

Alex says that this is his favourite solo and I can see why. It’s so difficult to improve on it perfect as is. That being said I won’t criticize anyone for trying to make it their own 😉

Last edited:
Coming from a huge Rush fan, when I hear Limelight, I hear the iconic Lifeson solo - that said, I did like your take on the solo and I thought it flowed well. Nice job.

Are you outside USA? Sounds like English isn't the singer's first language. He has good tone BTW. I like the guitar but don't remember it sounding as aggressive as you've dialed it.
Yes sir, I am actually hailing from Sweden haha, it is difficult to hide it when I try to pronounce some words ("Performers and portrayers").

And yes I have dialed in quite an aggressive tone, I definitely like Lifeson's original, but my roots from worshiping shredders like Greg Howe, Paul Gilbert and Eddie Van Halen is something I am quite open to share with the rest of the world =)

Back
Top Bottom