Rush 1981-83

Alex Lifesons Wireless DI track from 96'

Sounds like a typical DI, but finally has a little tone when switching to the 335 on La Villa Strangiato.
Apparently Geddy likes hearing the DI track in ears on stage.

Holy shit! This for sure is something that is VERY interesting to hear. I would love if more stuff like this start showing up becuase you can really pick up what the player is doing... btw it says that is a "scan", is it actually possible to "hack" your way in to the wireless signal and recorder it?

Holy shit! This for sure is something that is VERY interesting to hear. I would love if more stuff like this start showing up becuase you can really pick up what the player is doing... btw it says that is a "scan", is it actually possible to "hack" your way in to the wireless signal and recorder it?
Yes, it’s definately possible, especially back in 96’. A broad fm scanner can pick it up.
at first I thought it was a scam, but as I listened farther into it, I heard some Lifeson signature licks, that are without a doubt authentic. I think it would be fun, not only as a learning tool, but also feeding a portion of this di, into the axe. That way you can really dial in a fairly authentic tone, without playing or using the looper.

Yes, it’s definately possible, especially back in 96’. A broad fm scanner can pick it up.
at first I thought it was a scam, but as I listened farther into it, I heard some Lifeson signature licks, that are without a doubt authentic. I think it would be fun, not only as a learning tool, but also feeding a portion of this di, into the axe. That way you can really dial in a fairly authentic tone, without playing or using the looper.
Yeah that's just what I thought to, I we had more of these around we could reamp to match the tones and then if when we play it ourselves it doesn't sound the same then we can DEFFINETLY blame it on out fingers and guitars jeje.

I finding that the cabinet is the essential element in his sound. You can put a Hiwatt or Brit Silver in front of the cab and it sounds similar too. The Hiwatt seems to be the best (of course, that's what he used)

I finding that the cabinet is the essential element in his sound. You can put a Hiwatt or Brit Silver in front of the cab and it sounds similar too. The Hiwatt seems to be the best (of course, that's what he used)
So he only used the amp side of the Marshall 4140 and then connected the output to his old Hiwatt cabinet? And the other thing that is confusing is if he used the 4140 for his clean of his distorted tones?

Last edited:
So he only used the amp side of the Marshall 4140 and then connected the output to his old Hiwatt cabinet? And the other thing that is confusing is if he used the 4140 for his clean of his distorted tones?

I’m using in this preset an AC 30 w/AC30 and 20 cabs. You can put a Hiwatt or Brit silver in front of those cabs and get good results. I think the AC 30 has a lot of what the 4140 had. What I’m saying is the cabs are really important. There are zero irs based around those specific cabs in the 4140s. I think they were Mckenzies? You can get a lot of the same cleans from that period using a compressor-CE2-Fender Deluxe

Back
Top Bottom